• Dave

Blog Entries

Future of Main Street Rides

Forgive me, for not knowing how to classify the rides on Mainstreet, but just spelling everything was hard enough. I was thinking with the increase traffice do rides such as the horse drawn trolley, and the double decker bus have futures? I admit my favorite is the Double Decker Bus followed by the Trolley. I think they have an old fashioned cab and fire engine too, but not sure.
    I have noticed they do not run all day, and with increaseed attendance do they have a future any thoughts. I hope I am wrong. I don't know what it is but, after Space Mountain those are my favorite.
    Dave

• VFX Artist & Dark Lord

Re: Future of Main Street Rides

I would truly hate to lose any of the Main Street vehicles. I seriously doubt that the Horse Drawn Street Cars are in any danger because they are so iconic. But you never know about the others.

If I'm with my wife and kids or with friends I usually walk up and down Main Street. When alone, however, I have been known to ride one vehicle to the hub, take another one back, and repeat the process until I've ridden them all.

BigwaveDave, Surf's up! South swell, get on it. As for Main Street, the rides seem to have off/on status depending on the crowd, oncoming parades, but they're Disneyland staples. I like to use them to avoid walking so much, and like to jump on the monorail once in awhile as well.

I don't think you need to worry about any of 'em.

They're all out in the morning and they take them off as the day goes on. I think the last one to be taken off for the day is the trolley and that's sometime in the afternoon.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Closed Account

Several Main Street vehicles have already fallen by the wayside: The horse-drawn surreys and the fire wagon, specifically.

I say ALL these need to return. Horses were an integral part of turn-of-the-century towns and cities.

Main Street USA has lost so much over the years, that it's almost like a slap in Walt Disney's face. As many destroyed elements as possible should be restored--original color schemes, roof-lines, Center Street, wooden benches, white wings, lamp lighter (and lamps with mantles), and the older Main Street vehicles.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-03-2008 at 06:40 AM.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Future of Main Street Rides

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    I think they have an old fashioned...fire engine too
    Yep, that would be the one that Walt used to drive around before the park opened. These things are important as show elements even when you don't ride. No objection if they added more; there are other options used previously here and abroad.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Quote Originally Posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post
    I would truly hate to lose any of the Main Street vehicles. I seriously doubt that the Horse Drawn Street Cars are in any danger because they are so iconic. But you never know about the others.

If I'm with my wife and kids or with friends I usually walk up and down Main Street. When alone, however, I have been known to ride one vehicle to the hub, take another one back, and repeat the process until I've ridden them all.

We have done the same thing and it's a blast. I love talking to the drivers, asking if I can toot the horn. I feel like a little kid again.

We took one of the cars once and the driver was an older gentleman. He spoke of how silly the people walking would just walk in front of the car because "nothing bad happens at Disneyland".

He told us how he had just had some sort of open heart surgery and it was difficult to be back so soon. Then he said, "know why I am back?" "No, why" we asked. He said, "because I love being here".

Will these vehicles ever go away? Not on your life. They make Disneyland what it is...pure heart.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Cool Re: Future of Main Street Rides

Well, if they ever got rid of the horse drawn trolleys I'm going to break down and cry. No... I'm going to sit my little hiney down in the middle of Main Street and throw a tizzy fit!