• Unhelpful User

Wink How Close was disney to buying Knott's Berry Farm?

anyone.................

• Imagineer in training

Re: How Close was disney to buying Knott's Berry Farm?

I'm not sure, but from what I read in wikipedia, the Knott's family didn't want the WDC to take over out of fear that Disney would eliminate all that Mr. Knott had worked so hard to create.

• Oregon Disney fan

Yea, Disney would actually clean the place up for a change, it was nasty when i went.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DarylF View Post
    I'm not sure, but from what I read in wikipedia, the Knott's family didn't want the WDC to take over out of fear that Disney would eliminate all that Mr. Knott had worked so hard to create.
    If that was the case, then they really blew that one didn't they. Disney would have done a lot less damage than Cedar Fair has. Anyway, I have my doubts that that was really a big factor or that Disney would really be that interested. If someone came in offering a huge amount of money to demo the place and put in condos, I bet the family would have sold happily.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Heh, I bet Walter Knott is spinning in his grave each time a new footer is poured for a rollercoaster at KBF. Cedar Fail did more damage than Disney ever could have.

• Imagineer in training

Further to Wikipedia, Knott's was to be a part of the 'Expanded' Disneyland Resort, and converted into Disney's America.

Can anyone verify further?

Yeah I can remember when Disney was talking about building the second park (instead of DCA) in Long Beach too.

Disney and Long Beach launch Disney Port talks. (Walt Disney Co.) | Article from Los Angeles Business Journal | HighBeam Research

but I'm sure that a lot of things are said and pitched that never actually happen!

I can't even imagine wanting to go to a second park not connected to Disneyland, even one as close as Knott's. It just seems wrong. Even if I only go into DCA or have lunch in DTD, I'm happy just being near Disneyland.

• Silent Lucidity

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I can't even imagine wanting to go to a second park not connected to Disneyland, even one as close as Knott's.
    Agreed; DCA sometimes seems too far!
    Last edited by disneyhound; 09-04-2008 at 04:48 PM.

• Imagineer in training

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I can't even imagine wanting to go to a second park not connected to Disneyland, even one as close as Knott's. It just seems wrong. Even if I only go into DCA or have lunch in DTD, I'm happy just being near Disneyland.
    Just imagine the tram ride!!

• Senior Minion

The Long Beach plans were a lot more appealing than the idea of buying Knotts. They actually put TDS to shame, if you can imagine that. TDS used a lot of the ideas from Port Disney, but it would have been even more elaborate if WDI had its way. Anyways, I agree that a contiguous resort is a lot more appealing and seem to be a smarter business move overall. I really can’t imagine how they could have called the entire area between DL and Knotts the resort district.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Gee, think what might have happened to DL's old parking lot, if Disney would have purchased Knott's in 1997!!!! They might have avoided the whole DCA/Paradise Pier Problem!!!!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    The Long Beach plans were a lot more appealing than the idea of buying Knotts. They actually put TDS to shame, if you can imagine that. TDS used a lot of the ideas from Port Disney, but it would have been even more elaborate if WDI had its way. Anyways, I agree that a contiguous resort is a lot more appealing and seem to be a smarter business move overall. I really can’t imagine how they could have called the entire area between DL and Knotts the resort district.

While the Long Beach project appeared to be similar to the TDS project, I don’t believe it had any bearing on the Knott’s potential. From what I heard, Knott’s came up around the time Disney was having trouble with the Disney’s America concept. I think that the Knott family was more than willing to sell to Disney, and that Disney had some Imagineers eager to develop and enhance the park along the lines of the Disney America concept. It seems it may have also been a potential alternative to DCA.

I believe Disney made a big mistake in not buying Knott’s. Of course, if the same people were given Knott’s that had developed DCA, I guess that it could have ended up just the same.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by JasonW View Post
    Yea, Disney would actually clean the place up for a change, it was nasty when i went.
    Did you go when Knott's was owned by Cedar Fair? If you went when it was owned by the Knott family, it was actually quite a wonderful place. And get this -- I hope you are sitting down -- there were actually a couple years in the 70s when Knott's actually had a higher yearly attendance than Disneyland did!

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    I believe Disney made a big mistake in not buying Knott’s. Of course, if the same people were given Knott’s that had developed DCA, I guess that it could have ended up just the same.
    I totally agree. They would have done a lot less damage than Cedar Fair has. In fact, they probably would have even made it better!

Not only that they would have had a built-in audience, and I think the cost of buying an existing park would have been a lot less from building something from the ground up, only to find that no one was interested in going.