Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• *~*Under the Sea*~*

The Good Ol' Years...

Ok, so granted I am only 21 years old, but I can't help reminiscing each time I enter Disneyland...I remember the days when you could go on a Sunday and there was NOBODY there. The 90's were my childhood, so maybe I'm biased, but I remember it being amazing. I remember the Party Gras parade, Captain EO, watching everyone walk around with glow necklaces and those invisible dog walking leash things, or when teenagers dressed as vampires would show up around dusk to enter the park (CREEPY, but still it wasn't a Disney trip without them).

I miss the simpler Disneyland without all the extra, unnecessary glitz. Does anyone else feel this way???

• Merry 2014!

Re: The Good Ol' Years...

Whenever I get to disneyland I re-visit parts of my past experiences too. I'll board the Mark Twain and remember my great grand parents, grand parents and my parents all on the deck, most of us looking at the sunset. I remember the anticipation of spotting the Matterhorn as we drove from the highway onto Harbor Blvd (because that meant we were really at Disneyland!) and then the pandamonium that broke out after all five kids saw it. Captain Hook's ship was a particular favorite of mine. ('70s)

In Micechat there are always debates about the past and present park, what was good and bad (so subjective), theme, the old parking lot (okay I'm sorry, but it was key to the excitement of the park experience). Yeah I think everyone has those memories; so enjoy them!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Mean Mermaid

I definitely reminisce. Sometimes I figure it's just because Disneyland always looks different in the eyes of a child, and by growing up one forfeits some sort of extra magic and never gets it back, making your memories at Disneyland as a child feel much more beautiful than your times as an adult.

Maybe I'm wrong about this: but it seems to me that people tend to think of Disneyland as at it's best when they were young. I know I do. I miss the sky buckets and the old submarine ride and the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough so much and really believe that to be Disneyland's prime. However, an older guest might recall the days under Walt and think those were Disneyland's prime. It isn't necessarily that Disneyland is becoming worse, we just hold memories from our childhood in a very special place in our hearts and hate to see reminders of those memories being toyed around with. I'm willing to bet, ten years from now, a new generation of Disney goers will be saying how now is Disneyland's prime, in fact. Like Fantasmico! mentions, it's a very subjective topic.

• Faith Trust & Pixie Dust!

I can see where this is a touchy subject. I miss staying in the park until 1 AM, watching the skyway, seeing characters walk around the park, and seeing happy families. Now it seems like people are forgetting the magic that happens at Disneyland. I miss that most of all.
    I miss Disney World...
    Check out my Disney Cruise Trip Report...lots of photos being added: http://micechat.com/forums/disney-cr...ey-wonder.html

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

While I do miss those days, explaining those days to my kids is such an amazing feeling. Knowing my kids will get to do the same when they have kids is something I look forward to. I have a feeling their grandpa will take them quite a bit if they are willing to listen to me...uh...the crazy old man.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    While I do miss those days, explaining those days to my kids is such an amazing feeling. Knowing my kids will get to do the same when they have kids is something I look forward to.
    I can picture it now, Aashee Jr standing on Main Street with Aashee I -- "I remember back in the old days, this here roller coaster you see going down the middle of Main Street used to be at a place called Knott's Berry Farm. They used to call this ride 'Montezooma's Revenge'. They moved it right here in the middle of Main Street and renamed it 'The Screamin' Lincoln'."

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by Auroraflame View Post
    I definitely reminisce. Sometimes I figure it's just because Disneyland always looks different in the eyes of a child...
    Maybe I'm wrong about this: but it seems to me that people tend to think of Disneyland as at it's best when they were young.
    Exactly, being a child and going to Disneyland was the best. No worries, no care, nothing but fun, fun, fun. As an adult the experience is different. Not bad, just a different perspective and respect for what the park. When you reach adulthood life is now a reality. How am I going to pay for this trip? Can we afford it? I can't afford the miss work? You get the picture. As a kid, POOF, that's all gone.

As for me, I too fondly remember my childhood years at the park. And that would be the late 70's and early 80's.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I can picture it now, Aashee Jr standing on Main Street with Aashee I -- "I remember back in the old days, this here roller coaster you see going down the middle of Main Street used to be at a place called Knott's Berry Farm. They used to call this ride 'Montezooma's Revenge'. They moved it right here in the middle of Main Street and renamed it 'The Screamin' Lincoln'."
    If that happens the family can dump my ashes elsewhere.

• FastPass n00b

When you think about it, Disneyland really hasn't changed that much. The memories of the SkyWay and Submarine Voyage (the real one) are painful because that stuff is missing today. But if they hadn't taken those rides out, they wouldn't be NEARLY as important as today. Take for instance the Matterhorn, it's a quintessential Disneyland ride and yet no one raves about it or discloses their fondest memories about it because it's still there.

I miss old Disneyland SO much, I can't even describe it. But those days are gone and they couldn't come back even if Disneyland created a carbon copy of itself from 1992. Disneyland (and Disney in general) have slid downhill since the early 1990's, no question about that, but there's still so much to love about the park.

Sometimes I try to picture 20 years into the future and see what it would be like to see Disneyland today during that time. How the trends are different and how we would reminisce about stuff we don't even care about today. I remember 10 years ago in 1998 thinking Disneyland was so run down and couldn't get any worse, but today I get so nostalgic for that time.

But keep in mind, those were the dark days of technology. In order to go back there, you'd have to give up the Internet, cell phones, satellite radio/TV, huge 30-mpg cars, computers, and any number of modern conveniences. We lost a lot of stuff from that era, but we also gained a lot of stuff we take for granted today. The fact that we feel what we lose more than what we have makes it feel like we've lost more than we've gained. In reality, we've simply traded a much more simpler and fun era for a hyper-connected, generic type of existence. Life is way more homogenized and generic today, but we're also exploring new realms of society that have never existed before.

I definitely reminisce. Sometimes I figure it's just because Disneyland always looks different in the eyes of a child, and by growing up one forfeits some sort of extra magic and never gets it back, making your memories at Disneyland as a child feel much more beautiful than your times as an adult.

Maybe I'm wrong about this: but it seems to me that people tend to think of Disneyland as at it's best when they were young. I know I do. I miss the sky buckets and the old submarine ride and the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough so much and really believe that to be Disneyland's prime. However, an older guest might recall the days under Walt and think those were Disneyland's prime. It isn't necessarily that Disneyland is becoming worse, we just hold memories from our childhood in a very special place in our hearts and hate to see reminders of those memories being toyed around with. I'm willing to bet, ten years from now, a new generation of Disney goers will be saying how now is Disneyland's prime, in fact. Like Fantasmico! mentions, it's a very subjective topic.
    AMEN! Wasn't a childhood at Disneyland just the best! Mom would buy us ticket books, while she would just sit and watch the people go by. She did like a few things, mostly America the Beautiful, Carousel of Progress/America Sngs, Country Bear Jamboree, IASW. Even doing the Pow-Wow at the Indian Village. Mom would tip the parking lot attendant at the Hotel, park at the bottom of the stairs that went up to the Monorail platform, buy ticket books, and then we'd ride the Monorail into the heart of the Park.

When my own children were small, I would take the three of them into the Park by myself. I NEVER feared their well being, ever. Disneyland is very safe. They, too have grown up with a love, appreciation and attention to detail like their old man. Some day, I'm sure I'll be going with them and their children and doing it all over, yet again. That's the beauty you know. We love it so much and share it with future generations to love in our eventual absence. Walt set out to create a place where children and parents could play together. I'd say he succeeded.

Walt said that Disneyland would never be finished, it would constantly be growing and changing, becoming more beautiful every year. While that constant "progression" can be debated, isn't it a wonderful thing that 53+ years after opening, the Park is as beautiful and well taken care of as it is.

Now I need to go for a visit.

Here's some thoughts I posted earlier this year in a thread where folks were commenting on actor/comedian Steve Martin's feelings on Disneyland, from his recent autobiography:

>>>>

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Martin
    ...a previously unknown emotion, one that was to have a curious force over me for the rest my life: the longing tug of nostalgia. [snip] I was awash with the recollection of indelible nights where the sky was blown open by fireworks and big band sounds drifted through trees strung with fairy lights. I remembered my youth, when every moment was crisply present, when heartbreak and joy replaced each other quickly, fully and without trauma. Even now when I visit Disneyland, I am steeped in melancholy, because a corporation has preserved my nostalgia impeccably. Every nail and screw is the same, and Disneyland looks as new now as it did then. The paint is fresh, and the only wear allowed is faux. In fact, only I have changed. In the dream-like world of childhood memories, so often vague and imprecise, Disneyland remains for me not only vivid in memory, but vivid in fact.

I have very similar emotional and nostalgic connections with Disneyland, including similar things which are "vivid in memory", which I wrote briefly about on MiceChat back in 2006. A few bits from that post:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    My favorite memories have to do with back in the days when Disneyland was really more of a "Park." There were no guardrails protecting the lawns. You could find yourself a nice cool spot under a shady tree and enjoy your chicken dinner al fresco...picnic like. Back then Disneyland seemed a really enchanting place in a much simpler way, especially at night with the twinkling lights in the trees. The Park itself was an E attraction! The rides were nice but almost just diversions. Lots of folks paid just a couple of bucks for a General Admission Ticket, and you could enjoy all the shows, parades, bands, fireworks, etc...and not go on a single ride!

You really felt like you were visiting "Walt's Place" rather than some big corporate money machine.

The homey simplicity of the Park back then was more reminiscent of Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. A fairyland of lights and beautiful settings. Heck, back then...the Grand Canyon Diorama was the big deal!

Almost every Saturday night my folks, grandparents, aunts, uncles and various and sundry teenyboppers and tykes would pile into our station wagons and head to Disneyland and Big Band Night at Carnation Plaza Gardens. They had really big names back then. Satchmo, Al Hurt, Buddy Rich, Stan Kenton, Les Brown. You'd often see Walt and Lillian, arms around each other, listening to the music on their special little footbridge (still there). Folks would occasionally holler "Hi Walt!" and he would smile and nod. And local television station KTLA (or it might have been KHJ...don't recall) broadcast the bands and the dancers almost every week for awhile LIVE to the Southland in glorious Black & White! Bet some of you never knew that Carnation Plaza Gardens was once part of a weekly local television series! We'd often return home to neighbors saying, "Hey! We saw you on the T.V. again!" Television was so new...we felt like celebrities! Just seemed like a normal weekly Southland ritual to us. A walk in the park. Literally.

Great memories. Every time I visit The Gardens and see that Red & White canopy and the old mirror ball spinning, I think back to those days and many family and friends now long gone. And in my own golden years I find myself thinking of them often and fondly, and of our many family outings to Disneyland. Even today when dining at Club 33 on a Saturday night, I always request an 8:30pm dinner reservation just so I can have time beforehand to listen and watch the band and the familiar regular faces dancing the night away. It's like time has almost frozen in that little piece of the Park (though I miss the Carnation food and ice cream windows). I just love it. And to this day, no other Magic Kingdom has anything like it. It's a classic example of a special something that is "Strictly Disneyland."

My uncle just loved Teddy Buckner and his group, and the two of us would often break away from the rest of the gang to go watch them in the Old New Orleans area of Frontierland, and in later years at New Orleans Square's French Market bandstand.

Occasionally still, on some wonderful Summer nights when the dry Santa Ana winds are gently blowing just right, and the Big Band music is drifting in the air, and if I don't look in the direction of Tomorrowland, I can almost imagine myself back in those days. So very little has changed in The Hub area, really. It's Magic.

Those family memories are my favorites. But another favorite that I still think about when I'm approaching the Disneyland Resort today, is about how I remember back when the "big deal" for Southern Californians was to be the first to spot the TWA Moonliner from the freeway! Back then it was just about the highest point in the Magic Kingdom. And there weren't any high-rise visual obstructions back then, so you could spot it from pretty far away, too! Of course, in 1959 that all changed when Disneyland acquired it's then-new Swiss/Italian "landmark" and the contest changed to being the first to spot the Matterhorn. But my fondest memories are of being the first one to spot that gleaming red and white Rocket Ship of the future, and shouting it out to become the winner of something that didn't even have a prize.

So...I hear you, Mr. Martin. And I do think our childhood memories of Disneyland are in fact much more vivid than other childhood memories precisely because so many parts of Disneyland have been preserved. And our many visits over the past 50+ years have contributed toward keeping these memories constantly refreshed...kept healthy and sharp...by the continuing presence of the physical of the place.

<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Take for instance the Matterhorn, it's a quintessential Disneyland ride and yet no one raves about it or discloses their fondest memories about it because it's still there.
    I certainly wouldn't say "no one" as folks here often do rave and reminisce about it. Not only about the Matterhorn, but other attractions that are "still there" as well.

But would tend to agree with you that because it's still there...it may not generate quite so many fond memories of the pining/nostalgic kind.

IMHO...most Disneyland-specific prior visit nostalgia is most often simply a reflection of the age of the person doing the fond recollecting. For example, some in this thread have commented the 1990's and things like the Party Gras parade represent "old Disneyland" to them. And they are correct. For them.

But for this decrepit old-timer...things from the 1990's like that and other attractions from that era...actually still seem new to me! Heck...I was just thinking the other day that it didn't seem that long ago that Disneyland opened Star Tours...and then it dawned on me that it opened in 1987...over 20 years ago. You see, I still think of Star Tours as one of Disneyland's newer attractions!

But I'm not so old that I still think of the Matterhorn as one of Disneyland's newest attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Magic View Post
    Ok, so granted I am only 21 years old, but I can't help reminiscing each time I enter Disneyland...I remember the days when you could go on a Sunday and there was NOBODY there. The 90's were my childhood, so maybe I'm biased, but I remember it being amazing. I remember the Party Gras parade, Captain EO, watching everyone walk around with glow necklaces and those invisible dog walking leash things, or when teenagers dressed as vampires would show up around dusk to enter the park (CREEPY, but still it wasn't a Disney trip without them).

I miss the simpler Disneyland without all the extra, unnecessary glitz. Does anyone else feel this way???

I am totally with you on this one! Probably because we're of the same Disney generation and I'm also pretty young (23 next week! Yay Virgos!)
    I remember coming in EARLY mornings and see the streets still wet from the cleaning and seeing a few maintanence people still finishing up before the morning crowds roared in. I remember PRE toon town and PRE Afternoon Adventure. I was only able to enjoy the skyway for like the first 9 years of my life, and the motorboats for even less but what I have to say I miss nearly the most-- SPACE PLACE. That was the *best* spot for a character lunch! It was HUGE too! So many great memories especially since it was before the meet n greet nonsense and we would literally spend like an hour playing with the characters! One thing that I'm really glad has stayed around was the character dresses. My mom got them for my sister and I in '88 (I think that was the first year they were made which is pretty cool to have an original if it is) and they still make them today. Not just the poofy halloween costume ones but the minnie, snow white, and alice dress with the emroidary on it. I always joke the the boyfriend that if I don't have a daughter someday then his sons are going to look awfully weird wearing my old princess dresses to DL

I think ulitmately that we will ALL prefer the DL we grew up with the most. Which is why our home away from home is better than the other parks because it may progress through time and modernize but key elements stay the same. Those are the elements that keep us connected to our own childhood and utopian DL. WHICH IS WHY: I am so opposed to the third park and monorail expansion ideas. It's just not gonna feel like home!

• Boat shoes all day long

The first two posts in this thread are perfect! We also had a contest to see who could see the majestic Matterhorn first, the winner of course chose the first ride. The glow necklaces, those invisible dog leashes, it's all good stuff.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

To opus1guy: It couldn't be said better. Thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Goof@Heart View Post
    To opus1guy: It couldn't be said better.
    You mean the "decrepit old-timer" part?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast