• Banned User

Sleeping Beauty 50th anniversary - events and ideas

The 50th anniversary of Sleeping Beauty is just around the corner, and a special DVD edition is going to be released in several weeks.

So, I have a two questions for you guys:

1. Do you think Disney is going to host any special events in the parks to commemorate this?

2. Brainstorming topic: What kind of events would you like to see in the parks?

Personally, I've heard rumors that Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle (which was closed after the 9/11 attacks) is going to be reopened, but I have no idea if that's true.

As for event ideas, these are the ones I'd love to see:

1. Disney should make a SB-themed character meal similar to 1900 Park Fare, with about the same amount of character interaction. Since 1900 Park Fare is very popular, a SB version would probably attract many people as well. (Phillip and Aurora would replace Prince Charming and Cinderella, and the fairies would make a fuss over anyone wearing pink or blue clothes!)

2. Disney was going to have a "Sleeping Beauty Royal Ball" in February 2004, but the event was "watered down," and Disney was criticized for it (original version, new version). The original event seemed like a rather good idea, though.

3. Make Briar Rose (Aurora in "peasant girl" mode) available as a meet-and-greet character.

4. Release a Sleeping Beauty video game! Various characters from the film do play minor roles in a few games, but a game dedicated purely to SB would be pretty nice.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Sleeping Beauty 50th anniversary - events and ideas

Please note that ideas published here will belong to the public domain, and that no compensation from Disney company should be expected. Not even a simple acknowledgement.

OK, proceed.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Diva Extrodinaire

Quote Originally Posted by bmn View Post
    Personally, I've heard rumors that Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle (which was closed after the 9/11 attacks) is going to be reopened, but I have no idea if that's true.

1. Disney should make a SB-themed character meal similar to 1900 Park Fare, with about the same amount of character interaction. Since 1900 Park Fare is very popular, a SB version would probably attract many people as well. (Phillip and Aurora would replace Prince Charming and Cinderella, and the fairies would make a fuss over anyone wearing pink or blue clothes!)

2. Disney was going to have a "Sleeping Beauty Royal Ball" in February 2004, but the event was "watered down," and Disney was criticized for it (original version, new version). The original event seemed like a rather good idea, though.

3. Make Briar Rose (Aurora in "peasant girl" mode) available as a meet-and-greet character.

4. Release a Sleeping Beauty video game! Various characters from the film do play minor roles in a few games, but a game dedicated purely to SB would be pretty nice.
    The walkthorugh is re-opening to my knowledge, but I like the last 2 ideas ALOT. I also think it would be great to have more events like the 2nd idea. The first idea is definitley the most possible, low-key plan.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

Tony Baxter has announced that they are reopening the castle walkthrough.

A CM at Disneyland told me there would be a Sleeping Beauty event, but didn't know when it would be other than after the current hullabaloo surrounding Nightmare Before Christmas.

I think a lot of fans of Sleeping Beauty the film would love to see Briar Rose walk around the parks, but I wonder how many average guests would wonder who in the world the blonde girl in the simple looking dress is. And for those who think I'm crazy, I know of a person claiming to be a Sleeping Beauty fan who had no clue that Aurora's dress is blue for about 99% of the film. I like the idea, but I think it would appeal only to a small group of guests.

And a Sleeping Beauty character meal is a great idea.

• A Weather Eye Open

okay, what the heck is 1900 Park Fare? is it character dining? is it from WDW or something?

i can't wait for the restored walkthrough

i love briar rose but i think with the princesses, and most characters in general, they're going for really overwhelming us with sparkly dresses. notice you don't see mary poppins in her coat and hat outfit or belle in her blue dress (prehaps the most iconic "plain clothes" princess outfit as it is!) anymore. of course, i wouldn't fight it even though no one would recognize her (or vain little girls might be disappointed) because in my mind, the more costumes the better!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

I would love to see a full-fledged merchandise event, hard ticketed, like the past Pirates/Toad/Mansion Holiday events. I hope they haven't given up on doing those; they were always a blast.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

When I was at DL last month, walking under through the castle into fantasy land we could hear some major construction goin gon inside the castle...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    okay, what the heck is 1900 Park Fare? is it character dining? is it from WDW or something?
    Yes it's at WDW. It's a restaurant located at the Grand Floridian Resort. And it's a character meal featuring Cinderella, her prince, Lady Tremain and Anastasia & Drizella.

• Hide and Seek with Anna

I remember last year when they had Snow White's 70th annivery and had that exsept [ms] that they said that Aurora would be the next one to have it for this year but that was back in Jan. if I remember right. As you all know I'm a huge Aurora fan and I would love to see an exsept [ms] of hers and do the meet and greet with her and Prince Phillip and Merryweather,Flora, Fauna. I know this month on the 20th there are anniversy pins for Princess Aurora coming out but what I saw there is only going to be about 1000 pins going out there is two of them I really want to get but don't know if I'm going to get to go to Disneyland this month. I could ask a friend of my but right now her mom is very sick and so I can't ask her to get it for me. But I do know there is pins coming out.

There's also some new artwork coming out on the 20th; just noticed it on the Gallery website. I think it's safe to say then that there's no merchandise event coming Sigh
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Anything done for my favorite princess' 50th birthday is alright in my book. No matter what she gets she will be just as grateful and gracious as ever.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• A Suitcase & A Dream

They should make the castle float in the Parade of Dreams into a Sleeping Beauty float, get rid of the 7 dwarfs, Pluto, Goofy, and Chip/Dale move Flora, Fauna, and Meriwether to the float have Malicifent replace Mickey and Minnie (move them to the first float) bring back Prince Philip. It would only be temporary until the parade goes on hiatus.

• Princess Aurora Fan

Florida is running a Sleeping Beauty Pre parade with Aurora, Phillip and Maleficent.
    ~Princess Aurora at Heart~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAurora18 View Post
    Florida is running a Sleeping Beauty Pre parade with Aurora, Phillip and Maleficent.
    Yeah I saw that too, & it seems really interesting. However the only reason they have that is because Aurora isn't in Disney Dreams Come True.