Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• WouldRatherBeAtDisneyland

Red Face Handicapped Pass?

When my family went to DLR approx. 10 years ago, my father was able to get a "Handicapped Pass" type thing, that allowed us to go to the front of the line for nearly every ride. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if they still have this available? I'm trying to convince my parents to go for my 18th birthday later this year, but they won't go unless we can get the pass again.

To clear up any future confusion, he is not in a wheelchair, but is indeed physically handicapped. Before, he simply showed his car hanger thing (ironically, i don't know what it is called...) to the guest relations people, and they gave us this pass. I don't remember specifics because I was rather young...

Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: Handicapped Pass?

Yes, you can get them. They are called a "Guest Assistance Pass" and they are not easy to get.

I get them because of a physical condition that I have, but, I'd much rather be able to do the walking, and, stand in the lines than to have an illness that keeps me from doing it. If your father has a valid health concern, you can go to City Hall when you arrive, and, the CM will decide whether or not you get one. I used to bring a letter from my doctor, but, they don't even care about that anymore. They decide themselves.

• no flash photography...

I get one for stairs. stairs really bother my knee, but ti is not a front of the line pass. I just egt to avoid stairs. I think on indy the wait may be longer.

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Yes, you can get them. They are called a "Guest Assistance Pass" and they are not easy to get.

I get them because of a physical condition that I have, but, I'd much rather be able to do the walking, and, stand in the lines than to have an illness that keeps me from doing it. If your father has a valid health concern, you can go to City Hall when you arrive, and, the CM will decide whether or not you get one. I used to bring a letter from my doctor, but, they don't even care about that anymore. They decide themselves.
    I definitely agree with you there! I'd much rather it never happened to him...To make a long story short, my father was a Police Sergeant who got purposely run down by a crazy man in an RV. He was forced into early retirement, and now has permanent rheumatoid arthritis that severely inhibits movement.

Do you think that will be good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I get one for stairs. stairs really bother my knee, but ti is not a front of the line pass. I just egt to avoid stairs. I think on indy the wait may be longer.
    Is that separate from what I Heart Disneyland mentioned? or is it the same thing, just modified?

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

I fhe has problems walking, or his condition causes him to be tired easily, it may be better to rent a wheelchair from them which you can do for $10.00 and requires no forms or validation. This will keep you from having to stand in line, you will still have to enter through the normal queue in DCA with the chair, and in Disneyland skip certain parts of certain queues dependiong on the attraction
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Each case is different for a Special Assistance pass. Some people cannot do stairs so there is one to avoid stairs, some have visual difficulties so they get to sit closer to a stage, etc. It is done on a case by case basis and a lot depends on what the individual needs.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I fhe has problems walking, or his condition causes him to be tired easily, it may be better to rent a wheelchair from them which you can do for $10.00 and requires no forms or validation. This will keep you from having to stand in line, you will still have to enter through the normal queue in DCA with the chair, and in Disneyland skip certain parts of certain queues dependiong on the attraction
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Each case is different for a Special Assistance pass. Some people cannot do stairs so there is one to avoid stairs, some have visual difficulties so they get to sit closer to a stage, etc. It is done on a case by case basis and a lot depends on what the individual needs.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you to both of you! I really appreciate the advice and information!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ElleWoods19 View Post
    I definitely agree with you there! I'd much rather it never happened to him...To make a long story short, my father was a Police Sergeant who got purposely run down by a crazy man in an RV. He was forced into early retirement, and now has permanent rheumatoid arthritis that severely inhibits movement.

Do you think that will be good enough?
    Oh gosh, that's horrible. Your poor dad.

My condition is very similar to rheumatoid arthritis. I'm really thinking that should be good enough. They may suggest you get a wheelchair. For me, the standing in line is the killer, so, I get the pass where you go to the fast pass lane. You never know what the CM will give you though. I keep my old ones each trip and present it, and, normally, I don't have to explain my situation over and over...they just ask how long I'm there and issue the pass.

Just know that the Guest Assistance Pass is not intended to get anyone to the front of lines. It is intended to make accessible those attractions that are not accessible to some. In fact, your wait may be longer than the regular wait due to operating parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Just know that the Guest Assistance Pass is not intended to get anyone to the front of lines. It is intended to make accessible those attractions that are not accessible to some. In fact, your wait may be longer than the regular wait due to operating parameters.
    Obviously, that is not what I meant my question to sound like. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever intend to try to skip the lines by using my father's illness. I simply meant that when we went before, that is what happened. Again, I was young and to an excited little girl at Disneyland, it's going to seem like we're skipping the lines...I'm positive that we had to wait longer on some rides, and I don't remember what even happened to get us to bypass anything. My apologies if my question came across as me wanting to get ahead of the long lines. That was never (and never will be) my intention.

Talking Re: Handicapped Pass?

They are available and like Pratt55 said they are on a case by case basis. If they feel you are able to be mobile with the assistance of a scooter/wheelchair then they aren't as willing to hand them out. My uncle uses his scooter 80% of the time and when he gets tired of sitting he uses his crutches to get around. The guest relations people wouldn't give him a pass while he was on his scooter because at most attractions he can get through the line on that, but when he walked in on his crutches the didn't even hesitate to give him a pass.

I miss standing in line, but without staying with my group I'd have to ride alone and I don't like that too much either lol. But trust me you don't get through the line any faster using a disabled pass, most of the time you wait just as long if not longer!

I do however recall the day we were at DCA and waited in line for Grizzly Peak, which wasn't really bad (only 45 Min!). Once we reached the part of the line where he had to get on the moving floor they had us wait off to the side, in another line, for another 30 minutes! I thought it was completely out of line that we had to wait double the time of a non disabled guest just because they had to stop the floor thingy (sorry for my 'technical' terms lol). It is rather irritating that some people ruin it for others. This brings me to the Nemo Ride at DL .. we waited 30 minutes in the line with the disabled people and there were two men at the front of the line that saw us getting on and because they felt we didn't wait 'long enough' turned to each other and said "we'll be getting a wheelchair or scooter tomorrow, so we can get on rides faster". I was just floored that they said that, but had to laugh knowing it wasn't going to be any easier to get on rides because for everyone one disabled person that really needs it there are two idiots out there that don't!

I feel for your dad, and know the pain he must be in. I hope you guys have a pleasant trip and just know there is a jealous person here in Oregon wishing she could be back down there!!

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

We found out this last time that we didn't get the right pass the first two days. We went to City Hall the third day and I did a better job of explaining it. I am in agreement with those who said it is not always faster. (POTC is one example) For us, its the difference between being able to enjoy the parks or not. It gives our little one the chance to do things that other kids do. Its honestly the only place we know of that really truly does!

For those who complain about us going through the special entrances and sometimes having a shorter wait, I say that I would give anything if my little girl could stand in the regular with us, chatting about how excited she is and who she saw. I'm sure your father would much rather walk long distances without pain or getting tired.

Have a fabulous time! Don't forget to give us a detailed TR.

Another Jealous Person in Oregon (We really are a green state!)
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Krissertina View Post
    They are available and like Pratt55 said they are on a case by case basis. If they feel you are able to be mobile with the assistance of a scooter/wheelchair then they aren't as willing to hand them out. My uncle uses his scooter 80% of the time and when he gets tired of sitting he uses his crutches to get around. The guest relations people wouldn't give him a pass while he was on his scooter because at most attractions he can get through the line on that, but when he walked in on his crutches the didn't even hesitate to give him a pass.

I miss standing in line, but without staying with my group I'd have to ride alone and I don't like that too much either lol. But trust me you don't get through the line any faster using a disabled pass, most of the time you wait just as long if not longer!

I do however recall the day we were at DCA and waited in line for Grizzly Peak, which wasn't really bad (only 45 Min!). Once we reached the part of the line where he had to get on the moving floor they had us wait off to the side, in another line, for another 30 minutes! I thought it was completely out of line that we had to wait double the time of a non disabled guest just because they had to stop the floor thingy (sorry for my 'technical' terms lol). It is rather irritating that some people ruin it for others. This brings me to the Nemo Ride at DL .. we waited 30 minutes in the line with the disabled people and there were two men at the front of the line that saw us getting on and because they felt we didn't wait 'long enough' turned to each other and said "we'll be getting a wheelchair or scooter tomorrow, so we can get on rides faster". I was just floored that they said that, but had to laugh knowing it wasn't going to be any easier to get on rides because for everyone one disabled person that really needs it there are two idiots out there that don't!

I feel for your dad, and know the pain he must be in. I hope you guys have a pleasant trip and just know there is a jealous person here in Oregon wishing she could be back down there!!
    Wow, thank you for sharing that! The nerve of some people just mesmerizes me!

As much as I don't want to, I can unfortunately believe that that probably happens more times than we care to know.

Some people just don't understand what a true inconvenience it is to have a disability of any kind. They can't set aside their preconceived notions of selfishness to think about the fact that handicapped people have to deal with it every day of their lives. They deserve a fun, happy, and safe vacation! A lot of the time, it is a matter of safety; if there are hyper kids jumping around in a tight line of people, and one of them happens to run into my dad (or anyone else who is disabled) and knock him over, he will probably not be able to get up without the assistance of many other people. On top of that, he will be badly hurt. It is just not a good situation to be in. I don't mind having to wait the exact same amount of time, as long as we don't have to put my father in danger by standing in line.

Plus, I know from experience that at least some handicapped families do feel guilty that they get/have to go ahead of some people. I definitely did, even when I was young; I hated having to think of all those people that had been there before me, still waiting because I couldn't.

Sorry...I'm really rambling...

Quote Originally Posted by FoundMyHappyPlace View Post
    We found out this last time that we didn't get the right pass the first two days. We went to City Hall the third day and I did a better job of explaining it. I am in agreement with those who said it is not always faster. (POTC is one example) For us, its the difference between being able to enjoy the parks or not. It gives our little one the chance to do things that other kids do. Its honestly the only place we know of that really truly does!

For those who complain about us going through the special entrances and sometimes having a shorter wait, I say that I would give anything if my little girl could stand in the regular with us, chatting about how excited she is and who she saw. I'm sure your father would much rather walk long distances without pain or getting tired.

Have a fabulous time! Don't forget to give us a detailed TR.

Another Jealous Person in Oregon (We really are a green state!)
    I absolutely agree.
    I'll be sure to! That is, if I am able to even go...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast