Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

Disneyland with an eyepatch?

I don't know if anyone else saw a recent pirate themed episode of Mythbusters where they investigated a myth about the eye patch. The myth was that pirates wore eyepatches so they always had one eye ready with night vision so if they ended up battling below decks they could switch the patch to the other eye and see much better quicker. They ran a few tests and found that this was actually true.

So now applying this method to Disneyland; I've noticed that on rides like Splash Mountain and Pirates that unless I ride them at night some of the beginning detail is lost, and how much clearer would an eye with full night vision be than even an eye adjusted to night time ambient lighting?

Does Disneyland allow eyepatches? Do you think it would make very much of a difference?

• =)

Re: Disneyland with an eyepatch?

I'm sure they allow eyepatches, and the patched eye's night vision would indeed temporarily increase in a very noticeable way. You'd lose your depth perception, though. Not the end of the world, but depth perception is a nice thing to have. Just don't do this for Space Mountain unless you want a better view of the track and scaffolding and so forth.

• For You!

Disneyland sells pirate eye patches - why wouldn't they allow them. I had pinkeye while I was there a couple years ago, but didn't know that's what it was - so I got a patch and wore it for a few hours.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

You could always wear dark sunglasses while outdoors and then remove them once on the ride.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    You could always wear dark sunglasses while outdoors and then remove them once on the ride.
    True, but the effect would be much less dramatic, methinks. A lot of light still gets in through the shades.

That's really interesting, Megastrophy. I'm not sure it would make a big difference but it's a really good idea....
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Megastrophy View Post
    Does Disneyland allow eyepatches?
    Only if you wear a Hathaway shirt.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by dl_appurtenant View Post
    That's really interesting, Megastrophy. I'm not sure it would make a big difference but it's a really good idea....
    I haven't tried it for myself, but assuming a really opaque patch were worn for a long time during daylight hours, the effect should be pretty big. Try going to bed in a seemingly pitch-black room. If you're awake twenty minutes later, you should find that the blackness has been replaced by a dimly lit view of the room.

However, the difference could be mostly negated if you stand in line indoors for a long time.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by Megastrophy View Post
    Does Disneyland allow eyepatches? Do you think it would make very much of a difference?
    I would venture to say that yes they do. My daughter wears an eye patch for periods of time throughout the day for medical reasons so I don't think they would deny her entrance because she has on her patch. As for whether or not it would make a huge difference, I can't answer that. The theory sounds good though.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

arrrrrrrg my wife is legally blind, the last time we were there she bought a eye patch at the pirate shop put it on then she got her white cane out and started walking around DL, she got some strange looks but it was really funny.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I saw that Mythbusters episode last year and they proved that it does does work. In addition I am blind in one eye so I have sometimes worn the pirate patch that they sell there just for fun. But as stated above you will not have depth perception or be able to see 3D while doing this experiment. But it could be fun for someone who has full vision to see things from my perspective once in a while so I say go for it.

• Shubisha

For rides like Splash mountain though you go both outside and inside and you wouldn't want to blind yourself/ruin it by unveiling your "night" eye for the whole ride. You'd want to keep your "day" eye out while you're outside and then switch eyes whenever you go inside.

• Faith Trust & Pixie Dust!

I have tried wearing sunglasses until I am on the ride *or at least inside like with Pirates* and it seems to work. I have the sunglasses that wrap a little around the eye...not dumb looking ones, but you know what I mean. And I notice a slight difference on the attractions. I usually leave them on the whole time I'm on Splash Mountain. I sometimes forget they are on and wonder why the inside of Splash is so dark. It's worth a try...both with the patch and sunglasses if they are dark enough.
    I miss Disney World...
    Check out my Disney Cruise Trip Report...lots of photos being added: http://micechat.com/forums/disney-cr...ey-wonder.html

• The line's too long...

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    Only if you wear a Hathaway shirt.
    Now, that was funny, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Or better yet do this at night for a while before and while you're in line. You should be able to see enough to know when to move forward. Maybe use the standby line for extra transition time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-07-2008, 12:25 AM