Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Pictures of the Shack in POTC

I'm trying to do a 1:87 scale replica of a bayou scene on my module for the model railroader club I belong to. I really like the shack in the bayou of POTC and would like to recreate it on my bayou scene. I'm needing to see ANY and ALL pictures you all might have of the shack in POTC. I also like the one at WDW on the ROA. The more detailed the pictures, the better! Just post them here!

THANKS!!!

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: Pictures of the Shack in POTC

sadly, to get a good picture of this, you'd need to take a flash photo in the bayou.

BUT! you may be able to find publicity stills or good photos taken by the park themselves.
    also, there will be footage of the ride in the extras of the first POTC movie, on the second disc. there is a little history of the ride that includes a lot of footage filmed by disneyland in the 60s when the ride first opened, and while a lot of the sound is inaccurate to the actual ride, the images are priceless. you might get a good shot of the cabin with the man on the porch there.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    sadly, to get a good picture of this, you'd need to take a flash photo in the bayou.
    Mmm, not entirely true. The clearest (and most verboten) photos would be flash photos, yes, but with a good camera, a fast lens, a steady hand, and lots of post-processing, it should be possible to get relatively clear shots of the cabin. I haven't done this yet, however. Hopefully someone else'll be able to help...

Your suggestion about the publicity shots was on my mind, too. I don't know where to find them off the top of my head, but they're floating around the net on a few sites. For those old shots, they had complete control over the lighting and the camera positions, so they were able to compose and expose the photos the way they wanted to. Not an opportunity that typically happens for your average guest.

• Banned User

BUT! you may be able to find publicity stills or good photos taken by the park themselves.
    also, there will be footage of the ride in the extras of the first POTC movie, on the second disc. there is a little history of the ride that includes a lot of footage filmed by disneyland in the 60s when the ride first opened, and while a lot of the sound is inaccurate to the actual ride, the images are priceless. you might get a good shot of the cabin with the man on the porch there.
    Really good suggestion. I'll try that. BUT, I'm looking for still photos that I can print out on my computer and tack up at my work space. I don't have a way to capture frames from video, so I'm relying on MCers to help out. I'm hoping someone was daring enough to take a FLASH pic of the shack. I know, I know...how dare I even suggest that, but PLEEEEASE!

• Yearning for Disneyland

Can't you see the shack from the Blue Bayou restaurant? You can take flash photos there as much as you want. Not the best vantage point or idea, really, but it's something if you're completely desperate for a flash photo.

...and just a little bit of pixie dust!
    http://www.spareoom.net

• Banned User

If I can do it in late Nov, when I'm there, I will try. If I'm in the back row of the boat....I would take a flash photo from behind me, as we passed.

• MC, this is LD

I've wanted to do something similar for a long time!!! On instructables there is a firefly demonstration. It is pretty helpful if you now microprogramming...

• Banned User

I won't be there again until May or Oct '09, so ANYTHING will help!

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Go to Daveland: Paintings, Photography, and Disneyland

Click Disneyland, then click New Orleans Square, then Pirates of the Caribbean. Scroll down a bit and you will find pictures of the shack, the houseboats, and the bayou it self.

• =)

There are some flash shots here. [EDIT: FantasyWatersDude, you beat me to it, although this link is a little more specific than yours.]

Can't you see the shack from the Blue Bayou restaurant? You can take flash photos there as much as you want. Not the best vantage point or idea, really, but it's something if you're completely desperate for a flash photo.
    No no no no! Firstly, flash photography is still forbidden in the Blue Bayou for the exact same reason as in POTC--it ruins the experience for other guests. Secondly, taking a flash photo of the shack from the Blue Bayou probably won't even work because of the distance involved. The flash does not evenly illuminate every object visible, regardless of its distance. The brightness falls off as the distance increases, and because the camera has to compensate for the extreme brightness of the lit areas, you end up with the more distant areas being black.

In other words, every single flash you see going off in a sporting event or fireworks show is a complete waste.

• Yearning for Disneyland

Gotcha. And I just remembered about the darkness thing...I've had that happen to me before; I don't know why I didn't remember that. lol

Hmm, I didn't know flash photography was forbidden in the restaurant...we've used it before, and seen others use it, and didn't know that was "taboo".

...and just a little bit of pixie dust!
    http://www.spareoom.net

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    Hmm, I didn't know flash photography was forbidden in the restaurant...we've used it before, and seen others use it, and didn't know that was "taboo".
    Yup. It certainly happens with relatively high frequency, and little is ever done about it, but it's technically against the rules, and regardless of whether or not it's forbidden, it invariably ruins the experience for other guests, albeit only briefly. The thing is, when the flash goes off, it illuminates the entire interior of whatever scene you're in. The areas further from the flash may not be lit enough to show up in the photos, but they're still lit enough for the flash to be very visible to the human eye. At best, it's just an annoying flicker for a split second. At worst, it happens while you're looking right at an object or scene that loses all of its splendor when illuminated by the unconditionally unflattering light of the camera flash.

When I'm at Disneyland, I'll use flash in places like the Indy queue, since there isn't a whole lot to "ruin." The flash can still be annoying, so I try to keep it to a minimum, but it won't destroy any illusions. You can also use fill flash when you're outside in direct sunlight and you need the shadows to be brighter. But interiors of dark rides...well, unless you're on good terms with everyone in the room, it's best to avoid flash. It's a way of being considerate to other guests.

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    If I can do it in late Nov, when I'm there, I will try. If I'm in the back row of the boat....I would take a flash photo from behind me, as we passed.
    and if i was in the boat behind you, you'd know it from my scream of retina pain
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• =)

and if i was in the boat behind you, you'd know it from my scream of retina pain
    And if I were in the boat with you, I Heart Disneyland, you'd know it from your own scream of oh-my-goodness-the-Datameister-is-attacking-me-for-using-flash-in-a-dark-ride pain.

• Silent Lucidity

DD and I were at the park during a particular rainy day in January, we walked into POTC and no one was there! We got our own boat, no one in the boats ahead of us or behind us, kind of freaky. But, flash is on!!!

Hope these help your project! Last one is just past the house, I think...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast