Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• A Weather Eye Open

Pirates of the Caribbean (ride) albums

I read about the album released for the 33rd anniversary of POTC, and ever since I've been looking to acquire it.

I understand there are two editions:

This one, shown on the Wikipedia for the album: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_(2000_CD)

And this one, which is a newer edition from 2006: Amazon.com: Pirates of the Caribbean: Disney: Music

Does anyone own either of these two cds? Is there any difference at all between the two? And does anyone know where I might be able to buy it still without paying $30 to a third party seller? I'm sure many people on MiceChat own it, and I've love to hear your opinions or reviews or any comments at all on the CD and where I can find it.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean (ride) albums

the disneyana store on main street has it. its in the little alcove on your immediate right when walking in through the door on the right. its on the left side on the second shelf from the ground.

Die Vampire, Die!!!

• A Weather Eye Open

fabulous. i'll have to put it on my "to do" list for when I get back to the park (sadly i'm not down there this fall).
    do you own it yourself?

• =)

I own the one listed on Amazon. While I don't have the one listen on Wikipedia, every resource I've found claims that the difference is in packaging only. I bought mine either in the Disney Gallery or in the music store on Main Street...can't remember which. But I know I've seen it in the latter, in any case.

If you like attraction audio, I cannot recommend this CD highly enough. They did a very good job with it. The initial float-through is handled very well, and then later tracks provide breakdowns of many of the individual tracks. There's also some additional material from WDW and some unused materal as well. Particularly humorous is the original "Yo Ho" demo, which has a rather different melody line, a more pathetic instrumentation, and this funky gong sound in one or two places.

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    fabulous. i'll have to put it on my "to do" list for when I get back to the park (sadly i'm not down there this fall).
    do you own it yourself?

If you go on Extinct Attractions.com, you can buy a 3-4 cd set, that has almost everything you want to hear off the ride. Granted it has a lot of the same stuff on the cd that can be purchased at the store in Disneyland, but that cd lacks all the other audio tracks that you can purchase from Extinct Attractions.

• Banned User

I wonder why they created this disk for the 33rd anniversary, & not like the 30th, or 35th.

• A Weather Eye Open

thanks for the replies, data and plazainn. very helpful.

i've curious about this extinct attractions site! i've never heard of it before this. is all of their stuff officially licensed? how are they able to sell so much semi-hard-to-find disney video and audio?
    the tracklist for their pirates CD set was certainly long, but poorly labeled like an iTunes playlist with tags that need fixing.

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    I wonder why they created this disk for the 33rd anniversary, & not like the 30th, or 35th.
    yeah i always wondered that too...i have the haunted mansion one, too...both are great!!!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    33 is a special number i guess. club 33? people say that "3" symbolizes mickey ears or something.

• A spooky ghost

I own both and they are exactly the same. I bought the newer one not knowing it was the same as the old one.

• Disneyland PAP

I bought both the standard and limited edition versions of the original 33rd Anniversary release when they were sold at the 20th Century Music Store at Disneyland. Not mentioned in the Wikipedia listing is the fact that the limited edition, 28-track version comes with a fold out "souvenir booklet" with several pages of content that's also autographed by X Atencio.

When the later version was released, a review of the track listing told me it wasn't necessary for me to pick it up. It came out after the PotC films became hits.

Also of note is the fact that a new ride-through track that's also about sixteen minutes long was created and released on A Musical History of Disneyland in 2005. I don't really understand the whys of it, but the newer version was produced by Randy Thornton, who's produced several of the park compilations over the past several years and involved with putting the older Disney albums on iTunes.

• Former Cast Member

Extinct Attractions was founded by a guy named Dave and this is another fan based site and their products are not licensed by Disney. HIs dvd's are great, because he had the opportunity to interview many Disneyland legends and incorporate them into the dvd's. Alot of this is regarding , as they suggest, the now extinct attractions and their history, along with ride throughs. There are also current attractions, such as POC and HM. This is a labor of love for Dave and he does all of this in his spare time and I think he has done an awesome job. Of course on some of his cd's there are some flubs, but to me it is worth it. Hope this all helps you out.

thanks for the replies, data and plazainn. very helpful.

i've curious about this extinct attractions site! i've never heard of it before this. is all of their stuff officially licensed? how are they able to sell so much semi-hard-to-find disney video and audio?
    the tracklist for their pirates CD set was certainly long, but poorly labeled like an iTunes playlist with tags that need fixing.

• =)

I don't have the Extinct Attractions POTC album, but I have their Indy album, which I'd assume is fairly similar. Basically, you're gonna get a smattering of different audio tracks, some in pristine sound quality and others not so much. The packaging isn't great, IMO, but the CDs themselves work and they arrive quickly.

• Shubisha

If you pay Extinct Attractions club to send you a cd you're basically paying this guy David O'Neal to send you a burnt cd of music files he downloaded off the internet for free. He's not licensed by Disney and any claims of the material being "straight from imagineering" or "straight from the archives" is bogus. Some things from the site are valuable such as the DVDs containing interviews with imagineers that he shot himself and some of the old vintage footage of extinct rides, but everything that he didn't shoot himself is a blatant copyright violation and the things like the audio cds are a sham.

I have the Pirates, HM, Rare HM, Indy and Fantasyland set from Extinct Attractions. All very good and I recommend them all. The FL set is great for when I'm reading in my room, it's relaxing to have my home sound like I'm hanging out in DL!

Curiouser and curiouser...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast