View Poll Results: Should Disney allow people to attend Mickey's Trick-or-Treat dressed as The Joker?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 51.72%
  • No

56 48.28%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is The Joker too scary for Mickey's Trick-or-Treat Party

I think it's safe to say that the most popular costume this year is going to be people dressed as The Joker, a character that many (like my daughter) find scary and very disturbing. The Official Disney policy reads...

Costumes should be child-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive or violent.

Do you think Disney may try to classify grown-ups dressed as The Joker to be not "child-friendly"? It feels like a grey area, but one that - considering the character's overwhelming popularity - Disney should address directly as acceptable or not.

• =)

Re: Is The Joker too scary for Mickey's Trick-or-Treat Party

Disturbing facial scars? Unkept hair? Weapons? Dripping grease paint? Psychopathic tendencies? Not exactly child-friendly or Disney-appropriate, methinks. I don't see how this is a gray area, even considering the character's justifiable popularity.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

I think it all depends on what Joker you are going for. The Dark Knight Joker is too scary but the Batman (Movie and TV show) isn't.

Too Scary!!!

Not as scary!!!
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• =)

True, that. They've become progressively scarier over the years. I'm sure figmentgoofy is referring to the Heath Ledger Joker, though.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by figmentgoofy View Post
    The Official Disney policy reads...

Costumes should be child-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive or violent.
    If it's not child-friendly, then it shouldn't be worn.

• Senior Minion

I'd say no to dressing as the current incarnation of the Joker at Mickey's Trick-or-Treat Party. You're going to an event that caters to children, why would anyone consider doing something scary like that?

Then again, since there isn't an actual mask you are wearing based on the regulations Disney might allow it - but I hope folks have common sense (then again it seems to be a scarce commodity now).

• Banned User

I really hope they keep Jokers out of the event but I know probably 208507303 people will dress up like the Joker so who knows.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    I think it all depends on what Joker you are going for. The Dark Knight Joker is too scary but the Batman (Movie and TV show) isn't.
    I agree. Guests just need to use common sense and good taste.

The current "Dark Knight" Joker is way too scary for children! That's my opinion as a mom of 4 little ones. The old style Joker, I'd say ok fine.

I don't see the big deal. I think violent and child-friendly is meant to deter many adult-themed costumes. Either sexual costumes with fakes breasts or butts, inuendo costumes like locks and keys, and sexy stripper-esque costumes or gory costumes with fake blood and blunt trauma clearly indicated in make-up and clothing.

The joker doesn't really fall under these categories in my opinion. Yes, he's a little scary, but no more than other classic costumes. Someone dressing up as a zombie/dead person/ghoul/skeleton is still going to have the sunken eyes and exageratted features. Many children are frightened by clowns in general, so whether its a neat and tidy clown or one whose make-up in running, it makes no big difference. Heck, if a normal clown runs around the park long enough, their make-up will begin to smear. Will they be thrown out of the park?

And yes, the joker has scars. But they are quite mild and non graphic. They are not gruesome open wounds or even deforming burns or gashes covering the face. They are small and minor.

I would have no problem seeing people dressed as the Joker at DCA. Streaky clown make-up and a purple suit isn't all that traumatic for children.

• =)

I like how nearly everyone who's posted thus far has expressed sensible distaste at the idea, yet the poll is nearly a tie at the moment. EDIT: And while I still think it'd be best to keep the Jokers out, I see your point, Professortango. I suppose it's the original context that I was thinking of--I mean, a lot of the generic monsters you see are gruesome, but they're not directly from anything. There isn't that vivid pre-programming of what that character actually does, whereas the Joker is a bit of a phenomenon whose enjoyably disturbing mannerisms are rather well-known. Anyway, it's hard to say, but I wouldn't blame Disney for wanting to avoid the Joker issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Disturbing facial scars? Unkept hair? Weapons? Dripping grease paint? Psychopathic tendencies? Not exactly child-friendly or Disney-appropriate, methinks. I don't see how this is a gray area, even considering the character's justifiable popularity.
    1. The facial scars are minimal and I'm guessing that many fans will leave them out of the make-up for simplicity. Even with them in place, they are quite tame. Guests with scars are allowed into the parks 365 days a year and children don't run in terror.

2. Unkept hair is seen in thousands of Halloween costumes and isn't a feature which strikes fear into people. Harry Potter has bad hair and children love him just fine. Did Sweeny Todd cause that much disturbance last year?

3. I doubt any guests of sound mind would try and bring in fake knives. I wouldn't disband all Hercules costumes because the character uses a sword in the film.

4. You have enough people in Halloween make-up running around a theme park on a California night (especially after GRR), you are going to see plenty of guests with dripping grease paint. Sloppy make-up isn't non Child-friendly.

5. Many people come to the event dressed as villians. Cruelle de Ville steals people's pets so she can skin them for clothing. Judge Frollo commits abuse, tries to burn people alive, and tries to stab a woman. Barbossa is a walking skeleton who commands a crew of the damned who murder people throughout the film. I'm sure these characters will be allowed.

• Queen Elsa

I don't like the look at how that Joker is I like the old cartoon verson of him or from the old SuperPowers show.

• =)

Fair enough, Professor. Check out my other post right before yours, too.

Why not? Obviously he's not a Disney character, so there will be no mistaking the Jokers as an official walkaround character. Furthermore, I've seen the costume sold in children's sizes. Will every kid who wears it know the film and what he does? No. They'll see it as some cool costume, and have a bit of fun.

If the kids don't see it as offensive, then should Disney have to decide that it should be that way for them? Whie the kids costume is a bit more goofy looking, all a parent has to do to explain the "scarier" version of their costume on the grown ups as them deciding to make it a little more scary because they just wanted to be more Halloween-y.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast