Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Thread: The Autopia

  1. #16

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    23

    Re: The Autopia

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    But the submarine show building is pretty solid, and the monorail pylons would merely be a challenge, not an impossibility, methinks. Something light and creative could fit up there.
    I can't say for certain, obviously, but I'd be surprised to learn that the Submarine Voyage showbuilding was designed for loads much greater than what it sees -- and the associated factor of safety -- and so I don't imagine they'd be sitting another building or anything like that on top of it. Earth isn't light, but its weight is distributed across the entire roof. Most other things would concentrate loads somewhere or another, I'd guess, and present a greater challenge.

    I don't think it's impossible, but it seems like a giant can of worms to open and I'd be surprised to see Disney take that challenge.

  2. #17

    • failure for lunch
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    325

    Re: The Autopia

    I would be happy it they just updated the jumbotron.
    Those jokes they have flashing on there were old the
    second time I read them... let alone 10 years later.

  3. #18

    • Oo-de-lally
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Beach CA
    Posts
    1,000

    Re: The Autopia

    Autopia defiantly belongs in Yesterland. It's way out dated. Like everyone says it takes up so much room. You could easily build 2 or 3 new bigger and better rides in its place. I know I have said before that they should keep all the original attractions around but in the case of Autopia I would make that exception. Even if they do a major over haul and put in new cars that are more comfortable and can actually be steered I would still rather see it torn down. I go to the parks about 5 times a month and I honestly can not remember the last time I rode it. Maybe over a year.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

  4. #19

    • Faith Trust & Pixie Dust!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle Area...too far from the Magic
    Posts
    465

    Re: The Autopia

    Personally I don't see them ever getting rid of Autopia. It always has a line, and usually a long one at that. I think they could retheme it to make it fit back in with Tomorrowland. Have them be electric cars or solar cars or something. Make the cars look like they are floating...um...running out of ideas, but you get what I'm saying. And it wasn't such a futuristic idea in the 50's either...we had cars back then. I think they should leave it or if it is taking up too much space, shorten it. Cut out what used to be Fantasyland's autopia and keep it the original size. I just don't see them every completely getting rid of the attraction. Just because it's not fun for adults doesn't mean it's not fun for everyone. Little kids love pretending they are driving.
    I miss Disney World...
    Check out my Disney Cruise Trip Report...lots of photos being added: http://micechat.com/forums/disney-cr...ey-wonder.html

  5. #20

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: The Autopia

    Quote Originally Posted by sassy*tink View Post
    And it wasn't such a futuristic idea in the 50's either...we had cars back then. [snip] Just because it's not fun for adults doesn't mean it's not fun for everyone. Little kids love pretending they are driving.
    No one's contesting the idea that kids can enjoy the current Autopia. The thing is, it's not very enjoyable for a lot of adults, and one of Walt's mandates was that a given attraction or area should be fun for as many different age groups as possible. Obviously, not every single thing will fun for everyone, but it's something to keep in mind.

    As for the thematic appropriateness issue--which is my biggest problem--it was rather more futuristic in the 50s because freeway driving was still largely a thing of the future. The near future, but the future nonetheless. Check out historicaerials.com if you don't believe me. So it kinda worked back then...but only kinda. Besides...we can't justify doing something just because it was done in the past, even by Walt. He and his Imagineers had a lot of incredible ideas, but they weren't perfect. IMO, their work should be held in the highest esteem, and a lot of their thoughts should be looked at as guidelines for the future...but we can't blindly do things just because they did it back then.


  6. #21

    • :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Matterhorn, 5th floor.
    Posts
    1,590

    Re: The Autopia

    Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    Autopia belongs in Yesterland as it has nothing to do with tomorrow, stinks literally, is practically themeless, the cars are physically uncomfortable, there's no freedom to steer and it takes a large area that could be used for something much better. It's up there with HISTA and Innoventions as the worst attraction at DL.
    The Autopia was Walt's vision of "tomorrow". Understand your Disney history before bashing an attraction.

  7. #22

    • Old Timer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Pedro, CA
    Posts
    601

    Re: The Autopia

    [quote=sassy*tink;3110357] And it wasn't such a futuristic idea in the 50's either...we had cars back then.

    There were cars, of course, but freeways were very new. Ike was the president who started the interstate system.

  8. #23

    •   
    • Rest In Peace, Old Friend
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Life's Rad in Carlsbad!
    Posts
    1,506
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Autopia

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    No one's contesting the idea that kids can enjoy the current Autopia. The thing is, it's not very enjoyable for a lot of adults, and one of Walt's mandates was that a given attraction or area should be fun for as many different age groups as possible. Obviously, not every single thing will fun for everyone, but it's something to keep in mind.
    Autopia is a perfect example of an attraction that families can enjoy together. I see no need to ride the attraction by myself at my age, but I LOVE to enjoy it with my young nephews. Biggest laugh of the day. In fact I'm smiling about it right now thinking of my last ride, slamming back and forth on the rail...

    Also, it keeps that sense of 'A world on the move' going in Tomorrowland. I like the kinetics.
    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Veteran

  9. #24

    • Faith Trust & Pixie Dust!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle Area...too far from the Magic
    Posts
    465

    Re: The Autopia

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ61 View Post
    Autopia is a perfect example of an attraction that families can enjoy together. I see no need to ride the attraction by myself at my age, but I LOVE to enjoy it with my young nephews. Biggest laugh of the day. In fact I'm smiling about it right now thinking of my last ride, slamming back and forth on the rail...

    Also, it keeps that sense of 'A world on the move' going in Tomorrowland. I like the kinetics.

    I agree with that. My family rides it still because it's an original and we enjoy it! My parents are over 50, I'm 24 and my sister is 20. My husband also loves riding it because he loves driving and he loved it when he was a kid. I understand the idea of Tomorrowland, but if we are going to argue that it's not keeping with the times, then nothing in Tomorrowland really is. Almost everything that is there, we have done. We've gone to space, we have monorails...it's just hard to keep up with 'Tomorrow' so to speak.

    I just feel that it's a classic and should stay. If not for yourselves, then for the people that do enjoy riding it.
    I miss Disney World...
    Check out my Disney Cruise Trip Report...lots of photos being added: http://micechat.com/forums/disney-cr...ey-wonder.html

  10. #25

    • U. B. Bold
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Second Star to the Right
    Posts
    1,977

    Re: The Autopia

    I have looked into my Disney crystal ball and seen this:

    Honda's sponsorship will bring us electric cars (yeah!) and some new light theming. Not much else will change.

    Young kids have loved this attraction since 1955 and so have the parents of those young kids (though we hate the lines). The gas powered cars will go to Yesterland but the Autopia never will.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad


    Dream big. Do what you love.

  11. #26

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: The Autopia

    I'm glad to hear some of you are enjoying it, since it'll probably be here for at least another decade. I don't hate it or anything, though I'm rarely up to facing the line. I just think that it's such a huge space...and it's the biggest thematic violation in the park...


  12. #27

    • U. B. Bold
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Second Star to the Right
    Posts
    1,977

    Re: The Autopia

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    ...and it's the biggest thematic violation in the park...
    Not quite. That dubious honor is still reserved for the pirates on TSI.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad


    Dream big. Do what you love.

  13. #28

    • Faith Trust & Pixie Dust!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle Area...too far from the Magic
    Posts
    465

    Re: The Autopia

    Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Not quite. That dubious honor is still reserved for the pirates on TSI.

    I second that! I admit the theming for Autopia could use some work, but it's not really that bad of an attraction. It's only so big because they combined the Tomorrowland one with Fantasyland's. When it was just in Tomorrowland it wasn't so bad.
    I miss Disney World...
    Check out my Disney Cruise Trip Report...lots of photos being added: http://micechat.com/forums/disney-cr...ey-wonder.html

  14. #29

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: The Autopia

    Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Not quite. That dubious honor is still reserved for the pirates on TSI.
    I disagree. While TSI obviously has some thematic issues, it's possible to go through some very vigorous rationalizations to make it sorta fit the way it is. For instance:

    * Tom and Huck enjoyed pretending to be pirates on their island in the book. Perhaps we've simply been transported into their imagined world on the island.

    * The island is technically part of Frontierland, but it's just as close to New Orleans Square, the flagship attraction of which is all about pirates. Granted, that's not a perfect fit either, and it gets away with it by taking us down waterfalls and away from Louisiana...but still. The connection is there.

    No, I'm not trying to say PLOTSI was the best choice. I definitely see a lot theoretically wrong with it. But it's nowhere near the level of thematic stupidity that Autopia currently achieves. There's no competition. Honestly, there's not a single way to even slightly justify its presence in Tomorrowland...other than the fact that it was already there. If it were created today in that same spot, it'd be a bigger thematic travesty than anything that's happened at the DLR in a long time. (Not trying to say it was back when Walt created it, though I kinda wish something else had been there instead from the get-go. It made some thematic sense back then. But times change.)

    EDIT: For clarification, I'm talking about the appropriateness of the theme, not the quality of the theming. Although PLOTSI wins that one, too, and by a bigger margin.


  15. #30

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,659

    Re: The Autopia

    Quote Originally Posted by sassy*tink View Post
    It's only so big because they combined the Tomorrowland one with Fantasyland's. When it was just in Tomorrowland it wasn't so bad.
    But even when it was 2 separate attractions, it still took up the same amount of space.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Autopia out....we need something new...
    By Walt's Ghost in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 03:01 AM
  2. [Other] Autopia needs help
    By cticket in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-04-2008, 09:29 AM
  3. Autopia
    By bbks18 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
  4. Autopia
    By Zeus in forum Yesterland
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 01:27 PM
  5. Autopia-uhm.....
    By gOLDEN bLUE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 02:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •