Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Autopia

The Autopia

Okay, so I was thinking about the Autopia yesterday while in the park and was wondering. What after the Chevron contract? The end of the contract is nearing for Disney and Chevron sponsoring of Autopia. What do you think will happen? Will they just refurb it back to just simple autopia? Will they go with the rumored envrionmentally friendly electric cars? Will they axe it due to the new Radiator Springs Racers coming up in a few years (gosh I sure hope not it's a Disney classic) and put a new attraction? Seriously?! Any rumors or any ideas or thoughts on what might happen to good ole' Autopia?

-SPACE
    Last edited by Space Mountain; 09-07-2008 at 04:42 PM.

• =)

Re: The Autopia

I dunno what's gonna happen, though a change of the visual style (and lack of Chevron stuff) will be inevitable, of course. I kinda doubt they'll demolish it in the near future, though I could see it happening perhaps after the next contract runs out. I often fall into the category that might disparagingly be referred to as "the purists"--i.e. I really am not a big fan of change unless something really needs changing--but Autopia is one case in which I wouldn't mind seeing a classic go the way of the dodo. I would remember it fondly, but it occupies such a huge bit of real estate and has become so thematically out-of-place that I would enjoy a well-done replacement.

• The line's too long...

Autopia belongs in Yesterland as it has nothing to do with tomorrow, stinks literally, is practically themeless, the cars are physically uncomfortable, there's no freedom to steer and it takes a large area that could be used for something much better. It's up there with HISTA and Innoventions as the worst attraction at DL.

• Banned User

Autopia is a Disneyland classic, & I doubt they'll get rid of it. It still is quite popular, & I like the current theme.

• Shubisha

If given the area of Autopia, does anyone really think the space would be used to its potential for one, two, or three great rides or it'd either get wasted or fitted with a 21st century style C-ticket =P I'd rather leave Autopia for now.

• potterday.org

I feel awful for wishing for the demise of an original, 1955 attraction, but I sure am ready for Autopia to move to Yesterland... Actually I have been for three years, which is how long ago I rode the thing... and I go once a week!

The only thing I find less interesting than Autopia is HISTA. I have no idea how long it's been since I viewed that thing... I think I'll Youtube Captain EO when I'm done posting this (please don't take this as a cue to derail this into another futile 'bring back EO' thread).

Anyway... I'm nearly as purist as they come. I'm no Wener, but I know the Park's history pretty darn well... and yet I still keep thinking: what could they do with all that space if they razed Autopia to the dirt?
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Hall Of Promise

I too am ready for Autopia to fade into the clouds of Yesterland. Classics can't live forever, especially when their concept or theme becomes dull or outdated. And I am not one to believe that the labels "original" or "classic" are good enough reasons to keep them.

Autopia is the only "classic" attraction I walk off underwhelmed. I don't like the feeling of being separated from my group or smelling the same smell I get when in traffic. I think of it as a kiddie attraction.

• Minion

It was the first attraction I trained on as a CM in 83, so it will always hold a special place for me. If they did take it out though, I wouldn't have the same sense of loss as I did when they took ATIS, Peoplemover, and Mars out though. I would miss seeing it over there though....even if I don't ride it very often anymore.

• =)

I will say that if there were some amazing way to make the cars appear to float and if the area were made to look very futuristic and if going green were a subtle but definitely present theme in the new version of the attraction, I just might approve of it. It could work. But just putting a new face on the same attraction won't cut it for me, though there are much worse things Disney could do. I'm not complaining either way. There are bigger fish that need frying.

• The line's too long...

One major difference between Autopia today and the Autopia of 1955 is that the latter allowed you to steer the car where you wanted, which made it much more interesting. Steering on a predetermined track with little theme and noxious fumes is reminiscent of being on the real world freeway, why would any adult want that "dream" to come true? As for kids, check out Legoland's Volvo Driving School to see an Autopia-style ride done right. Autopia is an embarrassment to DL (just like HISTA or Innoventions) that can't even hold a candle to a Legoland ride. It should be bulldozed for better attractions.

I doubt they'd close it but all I know is that ride (and the surrounding area) better go under and extensive refurb! IMO, it would be a dream come true if they went with electric cars...the fumes while waiting in line are horrible.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• I'm not really here

Can't seem to find it on the search at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that Al mentioned that Honda would be taking over from Chevron.

Also remember reading somewhere that the cars might be converted to electric, but I'm not sure on this one.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    Autopia belongs in Yesterland as it has nothing to do with tomorrow, stinks literally, is practically themeless, the cars are physically uncomfortable, there's no freedom to steer and it takes a large area that could be used for something much better. It's up there with HISTA and Innoventions as the worst attraction at DL.
    I totally agree, but I am an adult. Ask any kid 16 years or younger and it's a different story...

Something to consider is that a great majority of the Autopia track sits atop the Submarine Voyage show building and is intertwined with the monorail beam right of way.

I can't imagine that, were they to shutter Autopia, they'd dare try to perform construction on that land. It'd be a complete nightmare.

• =)

But the submarine show building is pretty solid, and the monorail pylons would merely be a challenge, not an impossibility, methinks. Something light and creative could fit up there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast