Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Koubu Pilot

Re: The Importance of Tunnels

It is neat how Disney uses tunnels to remove us from the outside. Once you enter the park and go through the tunnels under Main St Station, you forget there's a freeway and major streets surrounding the property. You don't think about what's going on outside. You don't even hear sirens or anything. One simile that's been said about the entrance tunnels is they are like your experience at the movie theatre. The attraction posters are a preview of things to come yet at the same time, it's like the lights dimmed and the movie is beginning, usually with the familiar. Most movies begin with something familiar the audience can relate with like a setting or an opening song. Disneyland's case is a midwestern turn of the century town. It's Walt's hometown. We all have a hometown. THen we reach the hub where we can decide what we see next.

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    Are hallways equally important at Disneyland? I think they are. The que for Indiana Jones is as much a hallway as it is a tunnel. Its purpose is to get people to the show building as much as it is a place-holder for all the people in line to ride the attraction. Is it well themed and immersive? Yes. Is it a tunnel? No, not really.
    True, the Indy queue is more of a hallway than a tunnel. But for the purpose of the essay I used "tunnel" as a blanket term to refer to anything that effectively surrounds you and transports you from one place to another. I mean the word to be more philosophical than structural. Accordingly, within the context of this essay, I would also consider the stretching galleries of the Haunted Mansion to be "tunnels". Rest assured, though, I would never call them that otherwise.

But as you said, to each his own.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    True, the Indy queue is more of a hallway than a tunnel. But for the purpose of the essay I used "tunnel" as a blanket term to refer to anything that effectively surrounds you and transports you from one place to another. I mean the word to be more philosophical than structural. Accordingly, within the context of this essay, I would also consider the stretching galleries of the Haunted Mansion to be "tunnels". Rest assured, though, I would never call them that otherwise.
    Makes sense to me. (And on a side note, most of the Indy queue is indeed physically hallwaylike, but there is one area that's very much a tunnel in every way. The bat caves, spike room, and hall of descending blocks (and the part of the exit path adjacent to them) are all part of a tunnel that descends below the berm and then comes out again to meet up with the main show building.)

Welcome to MiceChat.

Great first post. I have always thought tunnels were an important part of Disneyland. The entry tunnels being the most obvious but I think there is more.

As a child (ok and some adults), there isn't much better to build fear than a dark tunnel. Surviving those "scary moments" brings the adrenaline rush and excitement of the attractions. Consider Tom Sawyers Island. Injun Joes's tunnel as well as the labyrinth of tunnels through the rocks (oh and I truly miss the secret escape tunnel from the fort!)

On the old Mine train there were tunnels including traveling "under" a waterfall as well as the finale through the rainbow caverns.

Big Thunder starts with a plunge through a tunnel into caves.

The bobsleds wind through ice tunnels.

The DLRR skirts the edge of the jungle and then through a tunnel we are in New Orleans and a new station. Enter another dark tunnel and we see a chorus of animal singers on a river boat.......

Oh and one of my most favorite tunnels in DL.......the RR tunnel our toad car unfortunately turns down.
    The Mur

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    The bobsleds wind through ice tunnels.
    Gotta say I love the bobsled lifts, particularly at night. I don't think any other attraction in the parks puts you in complete darkness for that long.

• =)

Gotta say I love the bobsled lifts, particularly at night. I don't think any other attraction in the parks puts you in complete darkness for that long.
    Seriously! And the snow effects shouldn't be all that great...but they are. I have no idea why. Mostly sentimentality, I'm sure, but oh well. I get a kick out of 'em. I love stuff like that in the park...stuff that's kinda abstract, that's open to multiple interpretations, that makes you feel like you're witnessing something fantastic and mysterious and hyperrealistic.

Of course there's the DLRR tunnel from Tomorrowland to Main Street. How do you do such a big leap in time periods? Through a time tunnel, of course. First it takes you to the Grand Canyon in an unknown time period, then all the way back to the age of the dinosaur, then forward again to around 1900.

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    Of course there's the DLRR tunnel from Tomorrowland to Main Street. How do you do such a big leap in time periods? Through a time tunnel, of course. First it takes you to the Grand Canyon in an unknown time period, then all the way back to the age of the dinosaur, then forward again to around 1900.
    As a kid, I questioned how realistic it was to suddenly find the Grand Canyon in a train tunnel, much less dinosaurs. Fortunately, trains and dinosaurs were my two favorite things in the world, so the Primeval World rocked my socks every time.

• Small Worlds of Walt

Before Disneyland, Walt Disney's first ride he envisioned, the Carolwood Pacific railroad that ran in his backyard, used a very specifically designed tunnel. Walt purposely put a bend in it so that the rider, when entering the tunnel, would not see the light at the other end, only darkness. So even early on Walt was thinking of ways tunnels could be used to his advantage.

• Closed Account

Yes, a great first post!

I'm glad someone has recognized the importance of tunnels as the optimum method of transitioning from "scene to scene" inside Disneyland. And thanks to Rob F. for reminding us that Walt had been interested in tunnels and their effects since his CPRR days. That "S" curve he built into the tunnel was purely for effect--and it was costly to do.

When the contractor told him how it would be much cheaper to just make a straight tunnel, Walt yelled, "HELL, IT WOULD BE CHEAPER NOT TO BUILD IT AT ALL!"

That insistence on quality--even at greater expense, was a hallmark of Disney's style--and what is often lacking at the Park today.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-08-2008 at 06:43 AM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Not only is a tunnel with a curve expensive, try making a tunnel with a curve that looks like a whale!

Probably my vote for favorite tunnel in DL goes to Monstro in Storybook Land. As a child I distnctly remember being too scared to go on it because I didn't want to be eaten by that whale! Even my parents standing on the walkway next to his mouth pointing out the hole on the other end (which you can see from the right angle) couldn't convince me!

Talk about an effective tunnel. Not only does Monstro tranport the rider into the magical world of Storybook Land, this tunnel is part of the attraction itself.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 09-08-2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: correct typographical error

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Not only is a tunnel with a curve expensive, try making a tunnel with a curve that looks like a whale!

Talk about an effective tunnel. Not only does Monstro tranport the rider into the magical world of Storybook Land, this tunnel is part of the attraction itself.
    An excellent example, DIP.

• Keep Moving Forward

The Monstro of Storybook Land never scared me, but the one in Pinnochio's dark ride sure did! Probably because the latter was a bit more aggressive.

But yes, I do wish dollar signs weren't such a driving force behind everything that's done today. I seem to recall Walt saying something along the lines of, "I'm not interested in making money, but I know I need it to do what I want to do." For Walt, money wasn't an end, but simply just a means. Apparently a rather intangible means since Roy was always struggling to find a way to foot the bill.

• Rock Star Minion

Two tunnels, dare I say portals, simple, but effective.

And now you know the importance of tunnels to Disneyland."

I don't know if anyone here has made mention of that in the forums before, but even if so, I hope that was enjoyable for all.

And, once again, it's great to finally have joined up with MiceChat.
    Read some Freud. You'll be surprised at the importance of tunnels.

Edit: I see Zoe is a bit faster than I.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Keep Moving Forward

So that's the significance behind the picture. Yes, I should pick up some freud in my spare time, perhaps expand my philosophy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12