Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Is the marble hollow?

Just curious since someone asked and I honestly didn't have the answer. That giant floating marble in Tomorrowland next to Space Mountain... is it hollow? Anyone have any stats on that thing? I was trying to look it up online but all I could come up with were pictures and mentions about Cosmic Waves.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Monorail Minion

Re: Is the marble hollow?

My guess is that t is and just has like a 3 inch thick layer of marble on the outside, or it might be filled with a different substance on the inside, but I highly doubt it's solid marble all the way through...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Cake Anyone?

How funny when Monique and I were walking to SM yesterday I saw a little girl moving the marble and wondered about what it was made of myself.....
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• =)

Dude, that's a very interesting question! I have no idea, though I'd imagine there's probably a cheaper and/or lighter material in the middle. Looking forward to (hopefully) hearing an answer on this!

• Collision speed....FULL!

Its six tons of granite, thats all I know...
    Last edited by Nautilus; 09-08-2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: I forgot a few words...

• I'm not really here

I can't find anything on it. The only weight I can find on it is at WDWInfo stating it weighs in at 1000lbs which is FAR to light for that thing.

No way is it hollow. If it does weight 6 tons, then it is probably a solid block. Do we know for certain if it is granite or marble?

It very well could be a solid sphere since water is an amazingly lubricant and makes it very simply for pretty much anyone to start it rotating.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Damn Good Burger!

As if I needed another reason to surf the internet and not work on a Monday. Hopefully someone comes up with an answer before my 8 hours are up. Thanks for contributing to my bad behavior skip.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Its made of granite also.

• Closed Account

Are there any visible seams? Because if there aren't, that lends credence to the idea that it's solid.

• "I Break Things"

Sorry... I said "marble" in reference to it's overall shape (like the childhood game of marbles) not in reference to it's actual material.

• Closed Account

I vote solid.

From a ball fountain site (theirs are of course smaller, but the physics is the same).

Rolling on a thin cushion of water, these marble balls or granite balls (floating sphere) weigh between 200 pounds to 800lbs depending on the size. They will rotate with a weak water pressure (10 psi, less than what water hose generated 85 psi.) This very stylish Chinese artistic work can make your shop, office, garden and home look impressive. These heavy marble balls are perfectly symmetrical that they can revolve 360 degrees in any of directions with a slightest touch. It is a perfectly balanced, highly polished marble or granite sphere that fits precisely into its carved basin to conform to the exact curvature of ball.

These heavy polished balls spins on a frictionless cushion of water and continues to roll until the water is shut off. Nevertheless, even a child can stop the marble balls (or granite balls) or change the direction of their spin, or set the ball on an accelerated twirl. The gap between the ball and the basin socket is about 1/4000th of an inch, so there is no danger of hurting child's fingers. It staggers everyone's imagination to see these extremely heavy balls revolve around on such little water.

It's probably not hollow...it just doesn't seem like it to me.

6 tons sounds like alot....
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• I'm not really here

I stumbled on that same site Steve. LOL.
    After reading that my vote is solidly in the solid category.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I vote solid.

From a ball fountain site (theirs are of course smaller, but the physics is the same).
    That is exactly where I went first... but what I wasn't 100% on was the scale and weight, which is why I was wondering about the material since someone asked me if it was solid or hollow...

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by dl_appurtenant View Post
    It's probably not hollow...it just doesn't seem like it to me.

6 tons sounds like alot....
    Granite weighs 168 pounds per cubic foot. Anyone know the diameter of the ball so we can get a volume, and then the weight?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast