Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

If I was in charge of DCA.....

OK, let's say that Matt and I met over drinks at the Cove Bar, and he was impressed with some of my thoughts, and picks up his cell phone and calls Mikey... Well, just like Magic, I am given control of the development of DCA, and handed a large budget to work with...

What would I do....

First, I would close the Timon Lot and would order the prep work on the area to start.

First stage:

A fence would be added at the Harbor/Disney Way entrance, to only to be used by emergency vehicles. All vehicles would be directed by signage to other lots.

I would order a study into the possibility of a new version of MuppetVision could be made, with a totally new plotline...

Work would start on the old Lion King Tram area, I would reroute the pedestrian traffic slightly south (right now there is a jog to the north), this would allow a 4th tram loading area, which would be used by Disney controlled vehicles, as I would make sure that all three Disney hotels would offer Tram Service, a bus would run from Harbor to Katella, then stops at GCH, DLH and PPH and then back the the tram area. Also, busses would be offered for the Pummba parking lot (used on busy days) and if needed the "third park" parking lot down Harbor. Plus special tram service from the Pinocchio area for a Hyperion addition I would add.

I also would start on enhancing the Hyperion, while still offering Aladdin, I would block off most of the current queue area, and start on a plan of adding an addition on the south side of the Hyperion. When done, it would be the same length as the Hyperion, and would add a lobby, escalators to all levels, restrooms and a concession stand on each level... Plus would force a view to those inside, by placing windows that would overlook ToT, but not Harbor Blvd. The first stage would be adding a plumbing stack in the South-east corner to facilitate the Bathrooms on all three levels, and the concession stands. Also, a second entrance in the North-west corner that would allow guests to enter a special gate near Harbor and the Tram area that would allow folks to enter the Hyperion without entering the park. (A special covered path from that gate to the Hyperion would be added backstage (the path would have walls and a tarped roof, and would be fairly wide to allow the entering or exiting of 2,000 guests.) This would be the reason for the special tram from Pinocchio to the Tram area, to prevent the special event guests to have to walk thru the checkpoint area. One of the main reasons to enhance the Hyperion would to allow special events like Movie Premieres, award ceremonies and other type of events that can use a 2,000 seat theater. These events would be in addition to the current Park shows, which would continue.

Second Stage...

Work in the old TImon lot would continue, I would plan to add the Motors, Light's Action show that is currently being added to WDW (I know another clone, but right now I am trying to focus on a quick addition that would help the park, and it would be opening around the same time as WDW, and not a 10 year old clone).

The second thing I would add in the area is something similar to the new Animal Kingdom roller coaster, but themed differently, more than likely to the Sierra's....

Once those two attractions were opened, I would close down most of the Hollywood Backlot area, ToT would have special entrance and would remain open.

At this time, the Hyperion would close to allow the finishing of the new south addition, though rehearsals for a new show could happen on the stage. Though some care would be required to allow the movie screen to cover the new sets, and that the stage could be used for awards events, etc....

Hollywood and Dine, SSL and Millionaire would be demo'ed, and if the new MuppetVision plot wasn't any good, I would tear down that building too. I think the PhilarMagic belongs in Toon Town, so that wouldn't be added. But a Monster, Inc. Dark ride, that is based on a ride system that is similar to what Universal uses for E.T. Vehicles would hang from a track, and would have the ability to have multiple speeds, and stop at certain scenes... Would be designed for no or minimal height requirement, and use multiple AA's and other effects.

If there was room, an new restaurant, based on the Drive-In theater concept. Also a classic Hollywood type bar near the Hyperion. Animation would be plussed, and Playhouse Disney would be updated to the current programming.

Once the Hollywood area is finished, a new show would open at the Hyperion, along with the new Monsters, Inc. ride. Also, the special events in the Hyperion would start, helping to bring in additional revenue. Certain events could access parts of the Hollywood Backlot area after park closing (For example, You start to allow guests to use the back entrance and enter the Hyperion, and have the event while the park is still open, then after the event (and park closing), the guests could visit the food and bar areas, and for a price have attractions like the Monsters, Inc, Animation and/or ToT available.

Next area would be the Condor Flats/Grizzly River area, where I would seriously plus the Soarin' queue, to add the original plans, including the overhead projection system similar to the Fremont St. Experience in Las Vegas, and Monitors using Huell Howser type story all along the queue, both outside, and in the tunnels that lead to both theaters. I also would look to updating the film, to change the way the changes between scenes happen, and add one or two new scenes to help the repeatability of the film.

GRR would get a major overhaul... I would add a building over the lift hill to remove the views of the Convention Center, Parking Structure, etc... also adding trees or other type of props along the flume itself where the "outside" leaks in.... A new story line would be featured during the lift hill, then multiple AA's and other story lines would be added along the flume.

Once those attractions are updated, then off to the farm area....

Most of the farm would be removed. One of the major additions would be a show building to enhance the Chew-Chew train into a true Dark Ride. The load area would be changed to allow the loading and unloading of multiple trains in the station, and allow a 4 to 5 minute Experience on the ride. The Bumper Cars would be removed, and a Mini-Autopia type attraction be added, this attraction would be designed for no or minimal height requirements.

Once the Farm area has been changed, the next area would be the Wharf area, when the Factories would be removed, and replaced with a family dark ride, themed to San Francisco.

After that, the entire Paradise Pier/Route 66/Bathroom Row area would be closed down. EVERYTHING would be removed, including the lake.

The Paradise Pier area would be converted to host to a couple of Dark Rides with a large Building(s) in the South West corner to block out the view of the outside. A Little Mermaid flume dark ride would be one ride. The old lake area would be converted to an Amphitheater (with real seating and lots of shade) to feature new shows and speciality acts, plus the out are would feature a bar and restaurant, to allow folks to watch the show while enjoying a meal or beverage...

A simulator ride would take over the old Golden Dreams area.....

When the new area is about finished, I would redo the entrance area, which might even require the closing down of the park, though you might be able to use the special Hyperion entrance as a temporary entrance during the off-season to effect the change....

Well, there are some of my ideas...
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: If I was in charge of DCA.....

Here's a better idea: tear down the whole stinking mess, and make an exact duplicate of Disneyland. A mirror image, if you will. Have everything the same. Down to the smallest detail.

If that is too expensive, here's what I'd do with DCA:

AKA put it back the way it was before Eisner usurped the throne.

• Shpadoinkle

Darkbeer, thank-you for actually coming up with ideas and not just joining the popular "turn DCA back into a parking lot" bandwagon.

• Minion

Yeah ... lets just tear the whole stinking joint down and be done with it!

GRR would get a major overhaul... I would add a building over the lift hill to remove the views of the Convention Center, Parking Structure, etc... also adding trees or other type of props along the flume itself where the "outside" leaks in.... A new story line would be featured during the lift hill, then multiple AA's and other story lines would be added along the flume.
    Don't forget to have them turn the amount of splash down several notches. I would ride it more often if only it didn't drench me all over.

That ride is my biggest pet-pieve ......... why in the hell would Disney put a ride in that gets people soaking wet .. to only walk around the rest of the day in this "Dry-for-dry" type theme park .... all soaking wet?

These type of rides are fine in a water park .. and you're in swimming trunks.

Not to mention these type of rides are really only seasonal - during warmer days .. and when the sun is out.
    Last edited by Escapé; 08-31-2005 at 11:28 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    OK, let's say that Matt and I met over drinks at the Cove Bar
    Wow, how many drinks?!
    Thank you for sharing your plans, I look forward to the next chapter at DCA.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X
    Here's a better idea: tear down the whole stinking mess, and make an exact duplicate of Disneyland. A mirror image, if you will. Have everything the same. Down to the smallest detail.

If that is too expensive, here's what I'd do with DCA:

AKA put it back the way it was before Eisner usurped the throne.
    The cars in that picture seem to be getting older and older. Before too much longer, it will be like looking at those pictures with 1960's cars being parked in front of the Hotel and park. I miss the old parking lot, I really do. The anticipation was so fun to get out of your car and inch closer and closer to Disneyland. I loved how you walked right under the monorail too. But the thing I miss most about the parking lot is that it made Disneyland unique, not some all-inclusive resort. There are so many Disneylands today and with DCA and Downtown Disney sprawling into what was once exclusively Disneyland territory with just the park and the Hotel, it takes away a lot of that feeling you got when you first arrived at Disneyland. That new tram has all the magic of being shuttled around an airport.

I wouldn't mind tearing down DCA for a parking lot. It was actually making more money as a parking lot seeing as how much money DCA has actually lost during its operation.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by spacemountain85
    Darkbeer, thank-you for actually coming up with ideas and not just joining the popular "turn DCA back into a parking lot" bandwagon.
    Actually the bandwagon's name is the "John Hench's Quote Lovers Alliance."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• The one, the only...

Darkbeer, You did a great job of really IMPROVING DCA with this concept. I love the changes to the Hollywood area especially, particularly the "hanging" vehicle concept for Monsters Inc. That seems more faithful to the story line. (I would have loved to hang from one of those doors in the movie!

I do have one suggestion. You say that the Stunt show should be placed in that back area. I have two problems with that. It is a noisy show and would disturb a fairly large area including local motels and that whole end of the park. Second, from reviews, I don't think that the show has "staying power" for any length of time.

I suggest doing the Rockin' Roller Coaster instead. It is enclosed so noise is not a problem. The theme is going to a music concert while navigating LA traffic. It is a fun spoof that is immensely popular at DMGM. I think it would be even more appropriate for a California theme.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Hooterville, USA

Remember, just my opinion. DCA is never gonna be a stand alone park. Take the attractions that we DL people have been calling for and put them in DCA. Motorboats, Carousel of Progress, Country Bears, etc....

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• insufferable know-it-all

Druggas: DCA *could be* a stand alone park... but it'd need major improvements to be so.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Remember, just my opinion. DCA is never gonna be a stand alone park...
    I think that is a bit too negative. I am an optimist and believe that things can always be improved upon. DCA could have been even a BETTER park than DL. If Walt was here and if he was going to build another park in Anaheim, he would have made it BETTER! There were mistakes in DL whose lesson learned could have made DCA a better park. Management just refused to learn from DL and choose to believe that they knew better than Walt!

DCA could still be fixed today if management (1) really admitted there is a problem, (2) was willing to spend the money to make it better, and (3) stopped meddling in the concept and design and let the imagineers do their thing.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Hooterville, USA

Concerning the term "stand alone park", I say if DCA wasn't next door to DL, attendance would be even less.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I liked all your idea except I would leave PP and just enhance it instead of removing it. Route 66 would all have to go for sure though.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

As has been said, good job of trying to find a better way instead of just complaining (I have done my share of complaining, so all fingers pointing to me there).

The park is salvageable, but I think it will take a major plan like you are suggesting to work. Not just a ride here or there, but a comprehensive plan, even if it takes years to implement.

We gotta keep Muppets though - if the "new" film stinks, they need to make another new one. Must have my Beaker fix....mimimimi
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• Minion

Let me know when you can arrange "drinks with Matt" and I will send money to help you soften him....lol
    Only thing I would like to see there that you left out is a place for Country Bears!! It would fit in DCA so well and I really miss it!!! Even if it is a new and improved musical that would be ok...but I wish they would put Country bears in the park!!! It would fit right in!!!
    Any day at Disneyland is a Happy Day!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast