Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Re: What do you think DL will be like 50 years from now?

I think in 50 years we will be reading about how the Fred Gurley just went in for another rehab and now it will be better than ever. this will be written by Steve DeGaetano III
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Closed Account

• Oo-de-lally

I'm sure Disneyland will be the same. With the exception of some new attractions and shows.

DCA will look totally different. The name will be different and I'm sure most of the original attractions will be long replaced.

I also think there will be a third park by this time. Probably one with more big coasters and a lot less themed rides. I hope I'm wrong about this one.

Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Mischievous Mouse

I think DL is all about history and nostalgia and that that attraction attributes to more that 60% of it's attendance and finacial success.
    (e.g. look at all the controversy about POTC and IASW upgrades)

We the puritans make up more of the "staying" power of the park, the teens that gravitate to the thrills of Space Mountain and Screamin' are not the future financial stability of DL.

The glitter brings us in, the nostagia brings us back!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I hope it will be FAR MORE CELEBRATED than it has been. We need Televised Events marking 55 years, 60 years, 65 years..and so forth. Bring back our past Disney personalities (and I don't mean Elton John and Phil Collins) if she's well enough, give a glimpse of Annette Funicello....show us something like Kurt and Goldie go to Disneyland and make it a huge event (remember, Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn are old Disney alumni - Goldie's first Movie was a Disney one) - show us "The Osmond Family Re-visits Disneyland" for a 55th or 60th Disneyland Birthday Event.....let's celebrate what Disneyland WAS - IS - AND WILL BE.........remember the past as we look toward the future (say, that's a good slogan for Tomorrowland).

• Yeah...I'm cool

DCA will be bulldozed for a SuperTarget.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

• =)

I'm far too much of an optimist--and I've got far too serious an eye on WDI as a future employer for myself--to convince myself that things will be that bad in the park, Steve, but if things were to continue in their current direction, yup, you're right on the money. Luckily, I think things at Disney have improved over the last decade or so...things certainly aren't perfect, but compare the ugly and underfunded TL '98 to the 1.1 billion dollar overhaul of DCA, for example. There are problems with the latter, yes, but they're willing to spend significant money to fix mistakes in ways that should be beautiful and enjoyable, if not quite thematically correct. That's a course correction, if you ask me, and while the heading isn't quite right yet, I'm hoping Disney will be back on course within another decade or so. It's possible, and I'm crossing my fingers for it.

• Minion FOREVER!

Actually, if you look at the general trend line, Steve's absolutely right. The last 10 years under Eisner really put a big damper on that trend line.

However, there has been reversals before... and this recent trend of being able to make substantial money off of a refurb (as opposed to a re-do; and off of a relatively nostalgic version) as seen in Tiki Room, is a relatively positive sign.

And the current DCA plan (and the funds behind it) is very promising.

So we'll see... I'm trying to keep my hopes up here.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Doggone it - I hope the PeopleMover is working by then!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I'm not here to blow sunshine up anybody's skirt.

Sometimes we need to look at problems square in the eye--confront what we don't want to look at. I call 'em as I see 'em.

Others can play the Pollyana role. Others can delude themselves into thinking the Park is the absolute best it's ever been. That's fine, and I'm really glad they enjoy the place.

I remember a better time. I remember a better Park. I see a disturbing trend line. Sorry if that depresses you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'm far too much of an optimist--and I've got far too serious an eye on WDI as a future employer for myself--to convince myself that things will be that bad in the park, Steve, but if things were to continue in their current direction, yup, you're right on the money. Luckily, I think things at Disney have improved over the last decade or so...things certainly aren't perfect, but compare the ugly and underfunded TL '98 to the 1.1 billion dollar overhaul of DCA, for example. There are problems with the latter, yes, but they're willing to spend significant money to fix mistakes in ways that should be beautiful and enjoyable, if not quite thematically correct. That's a course correction, if you ask me, and while the heading isn't quite right yet, I'm hoping Disney will be back on course within another decade or so. It's possible, and I'm crossing my fingers for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Actually, if you look at the general trend line, Steve's absolutely right. The last 10 years under Eisner really put a big damper on that trend line.

However, there has been reversals before... and this recent trend of being able to make substantial money off of a refurb (as opposed to a re-do; and off of a relatively nostalgic version) as seen in Tiki Room, is a relatively positive sign.

And the current DCA plan (and the funds behind it) is very promising.

So we'll see... I'm trying to keep my hopes up here.
    My apologies to you SDG. It is a little sad for sure, but I forgot to put the winkie smiley guy at the end. When Aashee gets mad at me, I know it's time to put my tail between my legs and swallow my pride!

That being stated I am an optimist when it comes to Disney. If there is one thing that Disneyland has taught me, it is optimism. Hard facts have created America, and Tomorrowland looks to a great big beautiful tomorrow -- that is it did in the Glory Days of the Mary Blair murals.

Although it does look like that the last years of Eisner did stray away from that original foundation, and quite frankly it doesn't work.

Disney is a company that provides happiness for everyone. Happiness in the past, the present, and the future.

50 years from now we will look at this time period right now as "the hard facts that created Disneyland." I am very optimistic for Disneyland's future. It is what Disneyland has taught me.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I'm hoping the the entrance to TL will look better than it does today! And the overall look of TL will be far improved. More open entrance, and a Multi-level TL will return with a more Sci-Fi Theme

Fantasyland will drastically improve the show for all the existing dark rides over the years, and maintain the European flair. Small World will remain very similar to what it has been for years, and yes, there will still be Mary Blair style disney characters. One of a couple new mountains will make its way to the old Motorboat area and part of the Autopia track.

Team Disney Anaheim Offices will be moved, and the area cleared for further expansion of Toontown and a New land, Villain Village area. Finally the Disney Villains will have a permanent home in DL, completely themed and detailed as well as Toontown, only this time for the Villains. Thunder and Lightning will stike Chernabog Mountain on the hour, and the time will be indicted by a villainous laugh. Color Scheme gray, with accents of dark blue and dark purples throughout the Village. Hades will take you on a pirate type attraction where all the villains have a various traps set for you with real fire effects- more elborate than Indy. Cruella will take you on the ride of your life, in her car, as it screaches along the cliffs of Chernabog mountain, and then has you slipping and sliding, and nearly turning upsidedown inside the mountain on a snowy icey road.

Frontierland will see the pirates leave Tom Sawyer Island, and the Western River Expedition will finally be realized on Big Thunder Trail

NOS - Will see various new special effects added to both HM and Pirates.

Critter Country, Pooh will exit, as the third theme park will have a whole land dedicated to 100 Acre Woods, Country Bears, a whole new generation will once againe be greeting us again.

Adventureland will see the Dinner show in the old Tahitian Terrace. Jungle Cruise will have several new scenes and effects, and the same old jokes! Indy will also have a few new scenes and special effects changed. Swiss Family Robinson will reclaim their treehouse, as Tarzan will be one of the main draws in a new Adventureland in DLR's 3rd park!

Main Street will see facades added to the back of the Main Street Buildings, to allow for more traffic on high attendance days.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 09-09-2008 at 06:19 PM.

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

You see, they built a full-scale model of DL2058 a mere 100 yards from Disneyland's front gate.
    took me a minute but i got it. good one.

Die Vampire, Die!!!

I am hoping that amusement parks (read - roller coaster parks) will be a dime a dozen, maybe even within the near vicinity of DLR creating a demand for nostalgia. I hope Disney will see this need and meet it by "regressing" back to the Disneyland of its first 25 years.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Wow...I will be OLD. Hopefully, Disneyland won't change that much and the magic in the park will remain. It's not Disneyland itself that I'm worried about...I'm worried that I'll be the little old person on the back of the "Grand Circle Tour Train" sleeping with my mouth open.... Anyways, I hope they keep the original stuff.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    My apologies to you SDG. It is a little sad for sure, but I forgot to put the winkie smiley guy at the end. When Aashee gets mad at me, I know it's time to put my tail between my legs and swallow my pride!
    I'm not mad at all. I need any excuse to talk about Main Street Skid Row or Chinese Quarters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast