Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Mean Mermaid

Re: What do you think DL will be like 50 years from now?

I wish some weren't so pessismistic about this... Declaring Disneyland is utterly doomed to lack of quality fifty years from now is an awful thing to say especially since the primary evidence for it is based around Eisner-era faults.

Please don't cast of Disneyland just yet! Just as the trends seem to be going down they can go right back up again! We can't stop Disneyland from changing, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to change for the worse. I admit I'm not a fan of some of the more recent changes and additions to Disneyland, but talking as if those types of changes are the only ones that will be ever made again- you've already made every new attraction bad and rotten in your head.

Cheer up and give Disney a chance... What's happening now may only be a winter, not a death of Disneyland. Just wait- Spring will bloom again.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'm not mad at all. I need any excuse to talk about Main Street Skid Row or Chinese Quarters.
    lol.

• =)

I hope you're right, Auroraflame. It could go either way, but I'm hoping for a turnaround...one that may have already started.

• Animatronic

Since technology growth seems exponential, I would guess 50 years in the future would show more progress than the last two hundred years, perhaps more than the last twenty thousand years. If everyone has holodecks in their homes, what experiences will Disney need to offer to compete?

Perhaps Tinkerbell will still fly over the castle, only the wires will be gone. Pehaps holographic projections will create perfect skylines, even in DCA. Perhaps polical correctness will be a thing of the past, and Indians will again attack the canoes.

Or, perhaps, the Small World will be closed again to make the canals even deeper.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

"Disneyland will never be finished. It will continue to change and mature, growing more beautiful every year."-Walt Disney

It's close to the actual quote, but the point is that it was never Walt's intention for his Park to remain a constant.

Town Square, Main Street, the Castle and Fantasyland will remain largely unchanged. Tomorrowland will change most significantly. Adventureland will grow, incorporating more attractions and even wild animals, ala DAK. The Rivers of America will remain, but the theming will change. Pirate's Lair has proven that even a stalwart like Tom Sawyer is not safe. The Mansion will remain where it is, but will undergo a complete redo. The Disneyland RailRoad will stay exactly the same, just maybe some new tunnels or stations. New Orleans Square will remain largely as it is, but better utilized. Big Thunder area, coupled with the Festival of Fools area and ToonTown is screaming for something new. ToonTown is one of the most poorly utilized areas in the Park. It is very well themed, just a waste of space. Critter Country has changed quite a bit since Bear Country was introduced, and it should. To me, it is the area of the Park I dislike the most. Splash has the AA figures from America Sings, and Pooh just proves that CBJ should have never been removed. I LOVED those attractions. How DARE they change...Wait a minute. I forgot. Walt said it would never be finished. He's just keeping to his word.

• Banned User

My guess is that no matter HOW it is in 50 years, that people will still be talking about what Walt would think of this and that, and, also, complaining about chipping paint or dirty rooftops!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    My guess is that no matter HOW it is in 50 years, that people will still be talking about what Walt would think of this and that, and, also, complaining about chipping paint or dirty rooftops!
    And still justifying any change, good or bad, by saying that Walt never wanted Disneyland to be completed. Actually, I hope that particular phase will have passed, but who knows...people could still be using that wonderful quote out of context.

Bah, I'm getting pessimistic! ::focuses on all the cool new technologies that will be available in fifty years::

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I don't know. But, barring any unforeseen circumstances, I will be there! I'll be 72, but gosh darn it- I'll be there!!

I hope to be able to make it to the 125th. I know my chances are slim, but there's still a chance.

• MC, this is LD

I think DLR will be covered in 100th anniversary junk in 50 years... Yep even three years after the 100th anniversary...

I'm not worried about how Disneyland is going to turn out in 50 years. It is arguably the most important park of all (even though MK gets more attendance), and it will be for a long time. I have no worries that WDI is now on the right track and will take care of the greatest theme park on the planet. I'm more interested to see how everything else is going to turn out in 50 years. Magic Kingdom will be about 87, EPCOT about 76, even Animal Kingdom will be 60. Look how much Disneyland did in 53 years and look at the potential of these other parks. We have a lot to look forward to, and I wouldn't worry.
    Eisner was good for company profits but bad for the company's heart and soul. I think we can come to terms that this severity is gone and we are slowly moving back to the company's roots. Disney never will fully move back to its small business attitutde, but rest assured there are enough people in the Disney Corp that care about steering the company's direction in the right way that we should see some great things in the future (baxter, lasseter, jobs, sklar). These people may not be around forever but then there's me and all of us on the forum that care. The future will be bright

Hard to say. It depends on which way technology ends up going. I think that some things might remain, in a plussed form. Others, like the trains, will remain about the same. Others will run their course and go away.

FWIW, back in 55 who would have imagined attractions like Buzz, TSMM, or Soarin'?

Perhaps the only yardstick we can use is how it has changed in the past 50 years, and the answer is: a lot.

Anyway, here is my bold prediction, based on nothing but a gut feeling: Mickey's Toon Town will be gone.

• Mean Mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    Anyway, here is my bold prediction, based on nothing but a gut feeling: Mickey's Toon Town will be gone.
    You give me hope.

• Senior Minion

I guess I’ll play, even though I think speculating this far into the future is kind of silly. If I was to say what I’d like to see, I actually really liked most of the ideas that Aladdin suggested, I even was actually planning on moving Pooh and Tarzan into the third gate in the plan I’m working on. Anyway, for what I actually think will happen, I think there will be some pretty cool stuff; I’m not pessimistic at all.

Overall, I would expect that the overall layout of the park won’t change too much. I would guess that many of the old attractions will still be around, while a few will be gone, but the technology in almost every one will be vastly improved. We’ll probably see new kinds of projections, invisibility cloaking effects, virtual reality environments, and interactivity vastly beyond anything we can even imagine today. One area most Disney fans will be excited about is that I think that AA’s will definitely make a huge comeback, and the technology will improve immensely, (Though I would guess that Disney will no longer have much of a tech edge over the competition.) AA’s will be so lifelike that you literally will not be able to tell if they’re real or not. We’ll see even greater gains in the software aspect of AA’s. They will be able to have complete conversations with you with no human control being required. They will be able not only to understand your speech, but be able to pick up on your emotional state, and interact just like the real character would. We’re even likely to see many of the costumed characters replaced by AA’s eventually.

I think there will also be a continued push to also add more visceral thrills to the park. I would expect a few new coaster type ride systems, perhaps with some configurations never seen before. I would also expect some exciting completely original ride systems to join the Disney pantheon. I would think by then that TL will be changed dramatically a few times and will be bigger than it is now. I would think by then the area of FoF will be used for the park and that BTR will also be put to better use. I’d also expect some fairly big changes to TT. Anyway, I’m sure I could come up with more, but that’s some of what I can think of right now.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

my theory...... its will be gone..

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Elisokool16 View Post
    Disney never will fully move back to its small business attitutde, but rest assured there are enough people in the Disney Corp that care about steering the company's direction in the right way that we should see some great things in the future (baxter, lasseter, jobs, sklar). These people may not be around forever but then there's me and all of us on the forum that care.
    [bold mine]

Don't forget Rohde! Goodness, I wish they'd put him on some projects here on the west coast... If any of you ever get a chance to hear him talk about theme, take it. His take on it is amazingly well-thought-out, financially sensible, devoted to quality...and pretty much just RIGHT.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast