Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• The line's too long...

Re: What do you think DL will be like 50 years from now?

With income disparities becoming more and more pronounced in the US as the middle class is increasingly squeezed toward the bottom, brick and mortar DL will become a boutique park for the wealthy and those in the middle class willing to sacrifice a significant portion of their household budget at the expense of other perhaps more necessary purchases.
    Most Micechatters and Micechatter descendants will no longer be able to afford a visit to the 'real' park, and instead will get their fix through a trip to a virtual DL at their local mall or through their home network at a much reduced ticket price.

• Fastest Man Alive

1. No more theater shows. By 2058, anyone with enough money to go to the Disneyland Resort will have effectively a huge screen high-def TV capable of 3D and more than likely able to simulate 1 or 2 more senses. In order for a show to stand out more will require extensive uses of actors, motion, and animatronics to the point of it would be best just for a ride.

2. No more mega thrill rides. The world is getting older. By 2058 there will be many more senior citizens than young adults. More than likely this will require the return to the more 'family' oriented attractions. At 80, I probably won't enjoy Indy quite so much.

3. Superior Walk-around characters. Advancements in voice modulation programs,projections and animatronics will result in fuzzy walkarounds that actually can talk and interact with guests rather than nodding furiously. Mickey will actually be able to talk to you like how the Princesses can. More non-humanoid characters (such as currently J.P Waternoose) can either be remote controlled, or can be freewalking AI machines that can safely intereact with guests. (first notedd by Uncle Bob)

4. Superior Personalization. Yes, you ARE herded in like cattle by the tens of thousands into the park, but the goal is to not make it seem that. Your park ticket will take note of your experiences and be able to pass that on. Mickey will know you just went on the Haunted Mansion and ask you if you were scared... You doing incredibly well on Buzz Astroblasters earlier will result in the unlocking of a higher difficulty setting in Toy Story Mania. Your park experience will become increasingly customized.

5. Superior immersion. First an foremost suggested by Lore, a true holographic 'berm' around each land. Walk into Frontierland and you have no view of anything outside, simply majestic rocky mountains and buttes rising above the horizon in the distance. No distractions of planes flying overhead or music pollution from some other land. And forget seeing anything from the true outside world, no more power lines and convention centers visible from inside the park. Going up in high rides (like Astro Orbitor and the Sun Wheel) or others they view into backstage areas will no longer reveal grungy roofs or backstage areas filled with trash compactors and lockers.

6. Lack of non-entertainment cast members. Walk into a shop, take whatever merchandise you want and leave; the appropriate amount of money will be debited from your bank account. There is no longer a need for dozens of CMs to ring banks of registers. Merely a handful of highly trained and 'themed' performers will be on hand to answer questions, assits with directions and selections, and keep the place tidy. This will also go for much of the food locations as well can be highly automated and same with attractions. Automated painters and sweeping machines can tirelessly act to keep the place in tip top shape. Thus what will be kept will the return of area entertainment. Folks dressed and acting as citizens of Main Street U.S.A will tip their hat and great you as you pass by for instance.

That's pretty much it for now. But changing trends in society and rapidly increasing technology will result in more changes in the next 50 years than the previous 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    my theory...... its will be gone..
    Possible, but perhaps not probable.

But 50 years is a very long time.

It would be sad to see DLR bulldozed to make way for condos or a mall, but stranger things have happened.

• The line's too long...

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    Possible, but perhaps not probable.

But 50 years is a very long time.

It would be sad to see DLR bulldozed to make way for condos or a mall, but stranger things have happened.
    Highly doubtful that DL gets bulldozed; it would easily qualify for landmark protection status.
    Last edited by vfire; 09-15-2008 at 07:06 PM.

• Minion

My opinions:

Disneyland:

Main Street - much as it is today

Adventureland - much as it is today

Critter Country - Pooh replaced with something else

Frontierland - development of Thunder Ranch area, possibly a new E-ticket there

Fantasyland / Toon Town - I bet Toon Town gets bulldozed and Fantasyland expands into that space, or perhaps a new land there altogether...with lots of new movie-based rides.

Tomorrowland - completely remade into a Sci-Fi Land, with lots of new movie-based rides.

DCA

Grizzly River area - I expect redwood exploration trail area will get replaced by a ride, possibly a D or E ticket. Soarin might also not last if its technology cannot be updated to the expectations of future generations.

Hollywood - a new ride to replace Monsters, Inc and a new film in place of Muppets

Cars Land - probably no major changes

Bugs Land - probably gets replaced by something else

Paradise Pier - I expect this area will get bulldozed...the mostly unremarkable collection of amusement park rides may get replaced by a new themed area. What this would be is anyone's guess...I expect most future "lands" will be movie based...but one good idea, if they didn't go that route, would be Tony Baxter's "Discovery Bay" concept from the 1970s. Since this concept was inspired by San Francisco's Barbary Coast of the 1880s, it would fit the "California" theme.

There would probably be expansion into the remaining area of the old parking lot.
    Down with the Hat

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Some things that will change for certain and others that are very likely in 50 yrs:

1. DL wont be powered by fossil fuels oil/gas will be gone by then current estimate is 2025 so most likely solar / wind etc power this may mean that some of the gas fuel vehicles like trains and main st cars may be electric tho they could have efx to make them sound and smell like they used to..

2. Large flexible HD video displays will be around by then and I am sure used extensively in many ways.

3. Computers will exceed human brain capacity in the next 10 yrs or so so can A.I. but far behind? most experts say you can expect A.I. within 10 to 20 yrs so I would assume a lot smarter animatronics and control systems, and possibly DL could all be run by A.I.'s (maybe all of society too by then!) so maybe the guests will be A.I.'s and the attractions will be real people!

4. Autonomous bipedal robots will be around by then for sure so expect your AA's to be walking around ... think Westworld and all that that suggests...

5. Climate change: the lastest predictions are that we will see a complete change in the earths climate within 10 yrs this could lead to sea level rise as high as 200 ft since DL is around 150 ft this may pose a problem a 50ft plus sea wall may have to be built around the park or some sort of pressure dome making it an underwater park! In any case the type of weather one can expect while visiting will be different. Of all the parks that only one that can survive a 200 ft sea level rise is Paris Disneyland with our DL coming in second likely to survive. All the others ... forget it..

6. Changes in society and economics may lead to DL being closed to the general public and becoming a private members only club with expensive annual fees to get in!

7. Since we are facing massive changes and some serious threats it could be possible that civilization as we know it may not exist in 50 yrs in which case the scenario for DL might be just like that in the movie "Escape from L.A."

or this:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234