Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Proud US Navy Wife

Sad How young is too young for Disneyland?

Hi everyone! I'm newish to the site.. I have been stalking the updates for some time but I have never really posted anything. My brother sent me to the site last year after I moved from Cali to Oklahoma. Anyhow. I just had a baby last month on August 17th. I am coming out to visit my family next month around October 25th - November 2nd. My awesome brother is going to take me and my fiance to Disneyland to celebrate my favorite holiday, Halloween. We were wondering if the baby would be too young to take for the day.. We wouldn't have a hotel or place to go back to or rest.. and we would probably be staying the entire day. The place we are staying in is Victorville.. and it would be quite a drive to drop him off halfway through the day. I am in dilemma because I want to celebrate with my son and all.. but I want to be able to spend the day with my brother and his boyfriend too.. We wont be seeing them for about a year after this.. Do you think my son can last the whole day or would it be better to leave him with his grandma? Thanks for the help! <3

Re: How young is too young for Disneyland?

If they get in for free (under 3), they are too young.

While I am a firm believer that no age is wrong for Disneyland, your son won't be able to do much since he's so young, and if you're looking to spend the day doing something you won't do in a long time, I'd leave him with family. He's still so young, he wouldn't remember anyway, but you'd have to do single rider swaps and such. I say, have fun and bring him back when you have more than just a day to play in the park. Disneyland can be a very tiring place for little ones.

• Missing an Angel

Wow. Good question. Being that your little one is that small and your place of stay is so far away I would say leave the little one with grandma. You expressed wanting to have time with your brother, and (not to sound rude or anything like that) having a small child as you have would be a little bit of a hastle. Especially if you all wanted to go on rides together (Pirates, Space, Etc...)

BUT you have to ask yourself a couple of questions.

Will you feel guilty of not taking your child. Even though he won't remember the trip?

Do you plan on going to the DLR in the future with your child? If so, I would say have fun with your brother this time around and when you feel your child "understands Disneyland", start making memories with him.

I hope I made some sort of sence in this posting.

Oh, and welcome to Micechat!

• Dreams do come true

No age is too young, I took my daughter at 12 days old and my son at 11 days. Yeah they slept most of the time but after just having kids it's nice to get out of the house and walk around. Plus you really get to soak up the atmosphere when you go for the day and maybe ride 1 or 2 rides.

• Confused One

Under 18, I would say ya 3 and under is to young.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I don't believe any age is too young for Disneyland.

The question is more what you'll prefer. You know your baby best and will know better than anyone how he'll handle all the travel and activity. My youngest daughter had no problem sleeping through anything and would have done fine at that age, anywhere I wanted to take her. My oldest, she wouldn't have been able to sleep and would have been cranky and miserable all day, so that would have made the rest of us miserable, too. It's really up to you on that.

My advice in this situation is that you want to enjoy the day with your brother and his boyfriend, so if it's an option for someone to watch him for the day, take advantage. You'll be able to do everything you want, without restrictions, and won't have to worry about feeding, changing, sleeping, carrying him or transferring back and forth from the stroller. Plus, how much will Grandma love that uninterrupted quality time with him?

I think that either way you decide, you'll enjoy yourself. It will just be a completely different experience with him than without him. Not a bad one at all, just different.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

I took my son at 11 months. My wife and I were planning on switching off rides before we got there. When we got there we found that he could ride everything that did not have a height limit, including POTC. Of course he didn't remember any of it but his eyes lit up at the magic of the park.

One of the best age to take them is right around 2 years 9 months. This way they are still free, but can really enjoy it like a 3 year old.

• Banned User

A new born is definitely too young for Disneyland. He can't get on many rides, and he will sleep most of the time. Disneyland is a "family" place, but let's not take it too far. If the place was designed to appeal to infants...it wouldn't appeal to anyone else.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

No age is too young. It's all a matter of what it is you want to do while there. With a newborn you really more stroll thru the park, ride swapping with those in your party. If that's what you're after, then by all means bring your little bundle. If you're more wanting to ride the rides and get thru the park at a faster pace, then by all means, leave the baby with capable grandma. (don't forget to leave her a few extra bottles of formula/milk--never know when you'll hit a traffic snarl)
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Banned User

Personally, I believe 3 Years Old is too young. Chances are they won't remember anything, and they will likely raise a fuss when they aren't sleeping.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Anything under 2 days old is too young. After that it's perfect for picture opportunities even if the infant has no idea where they are.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snorkeld View Post
    No age is too young, I took my daughter at 12 days old and my son at 11 days. Yeah they slept most of the time but after just having kids it's nice to get out of the house and walk around. Plus you really get to soak up the atmosphere when you go for the day and maybe ride 1 or 2 rides.
    Agreed! We took my son on my 35th Birthday - Dec 1, 2006 - and he was 6 weeks old. He mostly slept, but he was fine.

He's almost 2 now - and he LOVES Disneyland. When we come up to Disneyland Drive he starts shouting "Tram! Tram! and Tea Cups!" So, he's well aware of Disneyland and has memory of it - obviously.

I think it comes down to your kid. Each parent should be able to make the decision on this question at their own discretion.

My first son would have been a terror if I brought him any younger than when we first did (2 years 9 months). My other son was great when we brought him at 11 months.

Also, be considerate of the other guests. If you know your child will be difficult for you, remember the effect on the other guests.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Also, be considerate of the other guests. If you know your child will be difficult for you, remember the effect on the other guests.
    This goes for all times - not just for how you think your children will be. So many people just don't care how they treat others anymore.....

Nice post.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM