Need costume ideas

Hi everyone
    We are going to Mickey's trick or treat on Oct 22 and I am looking for ideas on what to wear. My 5 month old will be Darth Vader, my 18 month old will probably be Yoda (haven't found it yet to buy) and my husband doesn't know if he'll dress up.
    I want to dress up but don't really want to do Star Wars...not my thing. But everything I think of is not Disney appropriate. I kinda want to find something original....don't want to be another witch or zombie.
    All I really have to work with is Wal-Mart, my limited sewing skills or ordering online. Any inexpensive ideas (want to save as much as possible for trip)
    Thanks for any help
    Countdown till Jake(17months) & Eli(3months) first trip to Disney
    [IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/payoanmd54jvvum5.png[/IMG]

Engaged Disney World Oct '02
    Honeymoon Disneyland Aug '04

Disneyland Jul '05, Jun '06, Oct '08

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Re: Need costume ideas

I think that is the same night we are attending the treat! We're still not sure what anyone in our house is doing for costumes, not much help, right? Great idea for a thread to generate fun and appropriate costume ideas for the many Treat nights.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Be Patient I'm Learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah082104 View Post
    Hi everyone
    We are going to Mickey's trick or treat on Oct 22 and I am looking for ideas on what to wear. My 5 month old will be Darth Vader, my 18 month old will probably be Yoda (haven't found it yet to buy) and my husband doesn't know if he'll dress up.
    I want to dress up but don't really want to do Star Wars...not my thing. But everything I think of is not Disney appropriate. I kinda want to find something original....don't want to be another witch or zombie.
    All I really have to work with is Wal-Mart, my limited sewing skills or ordering online. Any inexpensive ideas (want to save as much as possible for trip)
    Thanks for any help

I would check out buycostumes.com, they have a yoda costume for toddlers and they have a great selection of adult costumes. Best of all they ship quickly!
    Christina

• A Weather Eye Open

if you're an adult, you can't be a disney character at the trick or treat party, right?
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• The Pirate Girl

Stripes: You can, but you just can't pose for pictures with any guests or sign autographs. I found that on the site somewhere.

And buycostumes does have a very large selection of costumes, so just try browsing for something you might like!
    For certain you must be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

• A Weather Eye Open

if you want to build something yourself and you don't want to put a ton of money or time into it, how about cinderella when she's in her normal clothes? skirt, top, apron, kerchief... it's pretty basic but very cute and definitely kid appropriate. i love it when people dress up like the princesses, but in OTHER outfits they wear besides the famous ones.

one of my most favorite halloween costumes that i've worn in the past was my Pippi Longstocking costume. there are a few movie and tv incarnations of Pippi, so you can really be as complicated or simple or as accuarate as you want and everyone will still know who you are.

i've also been thinking for some time it'd be fun to be a 50's housewife. you know, Circle-skirted dress with crinoline, frilly apron, high heels, pearls... feather duster or pie in hand.

and of course there's the costume that millions of frat boys will tell you is easy enouch to choose and create in 5 minutes (though you might want to have more fun making it than that): greek or roman goddess. just google "greek chiton" and learn how different ways of fastening a huge rectangle of fabric around your body is both historical and beautiful. you can even add a second peice for a "himation". absolutely no sewing involved! you can pick a goddess and find out what has been used to symbolize her to give yourself a name or distinct character.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Hello

Cool Re: Need costume ideas

LAst year I was a Canadian Mountie. It was awesome and looked awesome. However I don't think it'll quite work for you (I'm 13). Anyway, I ordered a Buckingham Palace guard costume, boot shaped shoe covers, and a ranger hat. the only modification I made was, that I sewed a strip of brown fabric into a ring and put it around the hat.

Awesome ideas.

Thanks Stripes...I'm considering the Cinderella before Prince Charming idea. Maybe I'll look into other Princesses and other looks.

Question though....during the Trick or Treat party I know the Villans are more represented by CMs but are there any costumes from Nightmare before Christmas? I was thinking of going as Sally, but since the movie was just re-released I don't know if she will be over represented.

Good thing it's still September and I have a bit of time to figure it out.

I'm not sure what the rules are but Wendy from Peter Pan is an easy costume. Long blue nightgown and black shoes.

• Disney Pinapple Princess

Sally is always overdone...One year I was a mecanic for halloween. just got an old pair of coveralls, some skater shoes (they look the best), Put my hair in pigtails and rubbed some eyeliner on my face to look dirty. Cute and cheap...and above all comfortable.
    *** Disney Pinapple Princess *** Cove Bar Crew - DCA** HELL YEAH!!!***
    [IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4e8xunrnijrm.png[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Disney Dorks of the world unite!

Well after a long thinking session and something that Priit said I came up with a costume idea and Hubby was all for it. You suggested a Canadian Mountie and I'm like that would be easy cause I live in Canada and could get all the stuff....but then a light bulb went off and I'm like "hockey players"
    My hubby has 3 Calgary Flames Jerseys plus my older son has two or three. We also have the small hockey sticks and poof there you go costumes. Wouldn't be as common down there and don't have to buy anything. I don't have to worry about being too scary, sexy or offensive...well except if you're an Oilers fan. (Hockey Humor)

Thanks for the great ideas everyone. I think I'll use some for actual Halloween.

And if you happen to be at Trick or Treat on the 22 look for a bunch of Calgary Flames (red jerseys with a flaming C ) and I'm sure one would be me.

Thanks again

• Banned User

how bout Mario and luigi?? thats what my kids are going as this year soooooo cute.