Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Re: Passenger can't ride alone with Monorail Driver?

I don't know if there is. Funny story.

I was ridsing with a family in the front. They were all really happy. The driver left tgo go check on something, and they said "Let's go!" in a joking manner and then she said " we can go before he gets back" then she says " I guess thet would be a problem considering none of us know how to drive it."

Instinctively, I said " I do" She said " Really" andf I said " yeah it's easy, for clicks foward, down to 2 before we enter the park, and down to one as we round the Matterhorn. Then stop at the solid re dlight." She was very impressed. O ccasionally I hope (in a nice cway) my pilot passes out after the dtd station and I have to pilot the monorail into the tommorowland station!
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

I think the driver is just avoiding an awkward issue, plus the more the merrier, right!? Maybe you just looked creepy! jk

Need talkative ppl to ride in the cone, I hate it when there's ppl who don't make a peep or ppl who don't speak English, its so quiet and wierd/awkward :X

(I've nvr heard of a rule stating the need for 2+ ppl for the cones)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I don't know if there is. Funny story.

I was ridsing with a family in the front. They were all really happy. The driver left tgo go check on something, and they said "Let's go!" in a joking manner and then she said " we can go before he gets back" then she says " I guess thet would be a problem considering none of us know how to drive it."

Instinctively, I said " I do" She said " Really" andf I said " yeah it's easy, for clicks foward, down to 2 before we enter the park, and down to one as we round the Matterhorn. Then stop at the solid re dlight." She was very impressed. O ccasionally I hope (in a nice cway) my pilot passes out after the dtd station and I have to pilot the monorail into the tommorowland station!
    3 clicks inside the park, 2 before the matterhorn, 1 in the station
    not bad though haha

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by monocm View Post
    Need talkative ppl to ride in the cone, I hate it when there's ppl who don't make a peep or ppl who don't speak English
    Wow, just wow.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

3 clicks inside the park, 2 before the matterhorn, 1 in the station
    not bad though haha
    Well, I was close. Just what I guessed from riding it so many times. Although I guess slower better than faster, eh?
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Thanks for the info. I was thinking along the same lines of
    It definitely has do do with protecting the cast member, whether it be for security reasons or other. It helps keep the cast member out of a situation of being accused of doing something, when he or she is innocent. These days all it takes is somone to accuse you of something to get you in trouble, whether or not there is proof.
    which is really sad but I guess understandable. And I hate to say it, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who was told no single riders with the driver, or I'd start to wonder how scary/creepy I look to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Wow, just wow.
    wasn't meaning to offend; it just sucks when they are there and you cant have a conversation with em is all

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Well, I was close. Just what I guessed from riding it so many times. Although I guess slower better than faster, eh?
    efficiency man!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWolf38 View Post
    That's probably for security reasons.... SOP for the monorail since 9/11, I'm sure. They don't want a driver alone with one guest, as the guest could turn out to be some terrorist or a crazy guy w/ a knife or something lol. Not saying you're one of those, I mean in general. :oD
    Like two or three people together couldn't all be terrorists? I'm calling shenanigans. I know at WDW it's up to the driver if they want to accept passengers with them or not and they can take up to 4 at a time.

• Can see my car from here

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    This makes me wonder if the driver has some sort of kill switch that could be hit if someone did try to take over control of the Monorail./snip...
    No kill switch is necessary. The new Monorails all come equipped with a Trunk Monkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>
    Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

• Knight that says Nee!!

wasn't meaning to offend; it just sucks when they are there and you cant have a conversation with em is all
    Cool, got it, thanks.

Yes there is a rule about not allowing more than one person in the nosecone with the pilot. I got a lecture about doing so my first week on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark VII Pilot View Post
    Yes there is a rule about not allowing more than one person in the nosecone with the pilot. I got a lecture about doing so my first week on the job.
    haha owned! ill see what i can do to bend that rule

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    This makes me wonder if the driver has some sort of kill switch that could be hit if someone did try to take over control of the Monorail. A sort of emergency off/brake. Well, there's got to be an emergency brake, but ideally the operator would want an off switch that can only be overridden by authorities.
    I think you'll find that these days there are safety features that would kick in if such a situation developed. Two monorails cannot occupy the same track within a ceratin distance - hence a signalling system.
    The Mark VI trains have a built-in safety feature that stops the monorail when another train is detected ahead. Periodically during the day, a safety test is performed when one train follows closely behind another; for example, if a train approaches a station where another train is already stopped. If a train spent the night in the maintenance shop, it undergoes at least three of these tests during the day. If the train was parked on the monorail system, it undergoes at least two of these tests during the day.

Terrorists can operate as "families". Kids can carry bombs too!

It's more about protecting the pilot so they don't get accused of impropriety!
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    Terrorists can operate as "families". Kids can carry bombs too!
    That's how a lot of shop lifters work too. They get the kids to do the dirty work.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    It's more about protecting the pilot so they don't get accused of impropriety!
    Exactly!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM