Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

I have another question for the experts at Micechat.

Monday there was a railroad CM talking to some guests about the changes in Disneyland over the years, and said some things I was curious about. If anyone knows the answer, please advise. She said the following:

1) The New Orleans Square/Frontierland station building never moved, and there was a second track on the other side of the station.

2) On the second track there was an express train that went counter-clockwise directly to Main Street. It traveled back and forth between Main Street and Frontierland station only.

• E T1CK3T

Re: Express Train that goes only to Main Street?

Steve DeGaetano can help you with this one, I'm sure. He's the resident DLRR expert. I, myself, have never heard of this before now... only that the original Frontierland train station building was moved across the tracks.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by shagadelic View Post
    I have another question for the experts at Micechat.

Monday there was a railroad CM talking to some guests about the changes in Disneyland over the years, and said some things I was curious about. If anyone knows the answer, please advise. She said the following:

1) The New Orleans Square/Frontierland station building never moved, and there was a second track on the other side of the station.

2) On the second track there was an express train that went counter-clockwise directly to Main Street. It traveled back and forth between Main Street and Frontierland station only.
    Hooh boy...Someone needs to brush up on their DRR history--especially if they work the system.

Either that, or they were yanking your chain. Not an uncommon trait among the more seasoned railroaders.

1. As you can read on MiceAge, the station across the tracks has moved significantly. Feel free to print out and pass along these articles the next time you see the CM:

MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

2. No train EVER went counter-clockwise at DL. Period. No if's and's or but's. She's clearly confused about the early system, which had one train making a non-stop run around the track, beginning at Main Street and ending and Main Street, and another train making a non-stop run, from Frontierland Station to Frontierland Station. they would pass each other at various sidings, "leapfrogging" along, both in the SAME direction.

• Knight that says Nee!!

yayyy...Steve to the historical rescue.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Where does this counter-clockwise "fact" keep coming from? I keep hearing it all the time!

It makes me mad when CM's can't even give a proper and accurate history of the ride they work on...

Thanks for the info. I thought (from what I'd read on Miceage and elsewhere) that she was wrong, but wanted to be sure. She claimed she'd actually been on the express train . . . and said if you look at the miniature Disneyland layout at the Opera House you'll see the "express train track" between Main Street and Frontierland.

• Cove Bar Official Dj

it doesn't help some people, when the original disneyland map (the one that was presented to the bankers/lenders) seemed the train was going counter clockwise and the jungle cruise where space mountain would be today.... so its almost mirrored or opposite of what exists today.

*sigh* some people who think they know it all...

Thanks Steve for the right info
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

I am by mo means a steam train expert but wasn't there a Disney DVD that said the steam trains once ran counterclockwise?

• Closed Account

There may have been; if so I'm unaware of it.

Even if produced by Disney, however, it would be wrong.

• E T1CK3T

In the Imagineering Disneyland DVD that is now being sold in the parks, I saw one shot with 2 curved sections of track with two engines steaming on each going the same direction, and on the inside of that curve were two other curved track pieces w/ a Viewliner train going by on each, but opposite directions... I thought it might be Disneyland, but I'm not really sure... maybe it was testing multiple engines at once at the studios, or something like that. Maybe that shot didn't even come from Disneyland... any thoughts, Steve?

Steve, while you're at it, can you explain where there were passing tracks and when they were used and removed? For instance, Main Street station has a second set of tracks, but I believe they are physically cut from the main line now. Also, I believe there was a second track over at Frontierland Station.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWolf38 View Post
    In the Imagineering Disneyland DVD that is now being sold in the parks, I saw one shot with 2 curved sections of track with two engines steaming on each going the same direction, and on the inside of that curve were two other curved track pieces w/ a Viewliner train going by on each, but opposite directions... I thought it might be Disneyland, but I'm not really sure... maybe it was testing multiple engines at once at the studios, or something like that. Maybe that shot didn't even come from Disneyland... any thoughts, Steve?
    Interesting. It sounds like DL (with steam trains AND viewliner) but the DRR track was double-tracked in Tomorrowland. I'd have to see the footage to figure out the location.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Steve, while you're at it, can you explain where there were passing tracks and when they were used and removed? For instance, Main Street station has a second set of tracks, but I believe they are physically cut from the main line now. Also, I believe there was a second track over at Frontierland Station.
    The only two sets of passing sidings were at Main Street and at Frontierland. The Frontierland tracks still existed after the 1962 move of the depot across the tracks. I'll have to do some digging to narrow down when they were removed.

The Main Street siding existed as a siding into the 1980s, at least. Agan, no firm date. The switch tracks were eventually removed for safety reasons, leaving a section of track on which to display the handcar.

I'll look into this and see if I can come up with something more concrete.

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Interesting. It sounds like DL (with steam trains AND viewliner) but the DRR track was double-tracked in Tomorrowland. I'd have to see the footage to figure out the location.
    It looked like it was dirt that the rails were laid upon. I'll check the footage again.

• Off to Neverland

This thread is fascinating!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast