Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Only one Matterhorn?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    No it's not. Don't forget that really cheap ripoff Matterhorn at that cheap ripoff park in Japan, Nara Dreamland. Here's a pic of the ripoff Matterhorn:
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/3...688373.jpg?v=0

But Nara Dreamland closed a couple years ago, or so. Does anyone know what has become of the old Nara Dreamland?

There is no Switzerland Pavillion in EPCOT, but they had considered adding a Mount Fuji (similar in style to the Matterhorn) to the Japan Pavillion in EPCOT, however it obviously never made it to reality. Rumor is the Kodak objected to the name Mt Fuji (Since Fuji is a competing film manufacturer).

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Wasn't there talk of adding the Matterhorn to the Switzerland Pavilion at Epcot Center?
    They were indeed considering adding a Switzerland Pavilion with its own Matterhorn. There's a bit of concept art for it in Jason Surrell's book on the Disney mountains.

• Functional & Decorative

In terms of themeing, I supposed EE is similar to Matterhorn, although not very, IMO. But in terms of ride feel, I always felt that MK's Space Mountain is a fairly close approximation to how a ride on the Matterhorn feels.

Please read that carefully... ride feel. I'm not saying "identical track layout" or even "similar track layout". I know that is not true at all, and I am not saying that. I am just saying the feel of the ride. I know how picky people are here.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I hate to be a wet mop but Expedition Everest is much better then the one & only Matterhorn. More thrilling, yeti is awesome and better themed. Just my opinion but if you haven't been on it, you'll be as impressed as I was.

• Banned User

I really feel it is unfair to compare EE with the Matterhorn. They were built over forty years apart, EE is beyond more well themed and technologically advanced, and had the advantage of current building techniques.

And while EE is superior to Matterhorn in terms of thrills and details, it just doesn't have the feel and nostalgia of Walt's Matterhorn.

In fact, I believe that if Walt build a Matterhorn today, he would build a differently-colored version Expedition Everest.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    In terms of themeing, I supposed EE is similar to Matterhorn, although not very, IMO. But in terms of ride feel, I always felt that MK's Space Mountain is a fairly close approximation to how a ride on the Matterhorn feels.

Please read that carefully... ride feel. I'm not saying "identical track layout" or even "similar track layout". I know that is not true at all, and I am not saying that. I am just saying the feel of the ride. I know how picky people are here.
    I felt the same way! I went to WDW for the first time last year, and I felt it was just as painful and had a few similar track elements of the Matterhorn track.
    One other thing with our massive mountain, is that the DL property isn't nearly as huge as the WDW property, so there's no getting off of the freeway and spotting a massive white mountain towering above the local motels. I know with WDW Walt was trying to prevent all of the local scuzz near the parks, but it's still amazing to me seeing that snow capped peak slowly pulling me away from the reality of box stores,crime, traffic and so on. I don't know if anyone gets what I'm saying, but the Matterhorn is just a very magical landmark for me.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by megashifter View Post
    One other thing with our massive mountain, is that the DL property isn't nearly as huge as the WDW property, so there's no getting off of the freeway and spotting a massive white mountain towering above the local motels. I know with WDW Walt was trying to prevent all of the local scuzz near the parks, but it's still amazing to me seeing that snow capped peak slowly pulling me away from the reality of box stores,crime, traffic and so on. I don't know if anyone gets what I'm saying, but the Matterhorn is just a very magical landmark for me.
    I know exactly what you mean. I remember at least two childhood experiences that involved staying at an Anaheim hotel and being absolutely thrilled that I could see the Matterhorn from the window. It was a jaw-dropping harbinger of great things to come. You just...don't see this sort of thing in every town.

Amazing pic to capture the feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Wasn't there talk of adding the Matterhorn to the Switzerland Pavilion at Epcot Center?
    Old oncept art for it:

I have been on the Matterhorn as well as EE. But Matterhorn is better to me than EE. Why? because on EE when riding inside the mountain you can see the interior scaffolding and walls that make up the outer shape of the mountain. Matterhorn has cool tunnels and walls with details the whole way. EE can be seen from the parking lot of AK and you can see the "back" of the mountain and its a square building. mmmmm. matterhorn is detailed all the way around from top to bottom unlike EE. So yeah the only one matterhorn is awsome.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Drum-&-Train View Post
    So yeah the only one matterhorn is awsome.
    And it's got a basketball court in it!

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    And it's got a basketball court in it!
    A "half court" to be specific, but it is cool that they managed to do that. The Matterhorn, as a rollercoaster, is so tame to today's standards that it is more of a kid's ride. But due to Walt's foresight and showmanship, the thing is still incredibly fun to ride and stands out as the greatest landmark in Anaheim, perhaps even all of Orange County or Southern California.

The fact that it's themed to a toboggan ride makes it far more lasting than the 1-minute shots up 400-foot towers. I mean, that ride is almost 50 years old! There aren't many rides, let alone rollercoasters, that can maintain that kind of popularity after so long.

And I just want to add that it was a shame what became of Arrow Dynamics. To have such an innovative American pioneer go down because they built a 4D coaster that was lightyears ahead of its time is just really sad. The Matterhorn will thankfully always stand as a monument to their achievements in rollercoaster innovation.

• We set sail for the sky

Actually as far as the actual ride is concerned, Space Mountain at WDW is more similar to the Matterhorn than EE.

• Minion

ORGOCH: If'n ya asks me, The Splatterhorn an' Expedition Ev'rest is close 'nuff ta be thought of as sister rides.

ORWEN: I agree. Both are mountains. Both have rollercoasters inside of them. Both have Yeti's. Both have snow on the top.

ORDDU: While there are certainly differences between the Matterhorn and Expedition Everest, they still have enough similarities to be comparable.

• =)

Regarding the basketball half-court...it's really not even that. It's more like a small, open space at the top of the mountain with a hoop and some makeshift floor markings. Pretty funny looking...

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    Both have Yeti's.
    Nuh-uh! Punctuation aside, the Matterhorn has an abominable snowman. Expedition Everest has a yeti. There's a difference.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast