Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: Only one Matterhorn?

Yes, I know I always say it over and over: there may be a real mountain, and other similarly themed rides (EE), but nothing will ever smell as musty-sweet as the uphill climb in Disney's one and only original Matterhorn at our beloved DL.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    After further research, I've determined that the two terms are ordinarily interchangeable. So you're technically right...sorta. The thing is, Disney always refers to Harold as an abominable snowman, while the creature in EE is referred to as a yeti. In a way, the distinction makes sense here, because EE's yeti is a true yeti yeti...they did the research so it has the dark fur and the skull cap and the right face and everything you'd expect on an actual yeti if one were to exist. Referring to it with the Tibetan name "yeti" makes sense. The Matterhorn's abominable snowman is really its own creation, though...the white fur and so forth contradict everything about what a yeti supposedly looks like, but they're more in line with the connotations of the word "snowman." So it kinda makes sense.

Can you tell I'm just trying to rationalize my position by any means necessary? No, but seriously, I'll keep referring to the two creatures by the names Disney uses for them, but you're technically right that it's fine either way.
    the abominable snowman/snowmonster in that claymation rudolph movie has white fur and black skin; that's what I always think of. Kind of like a polar bear, I guess.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Yes, I know I always say it over and over: there may be a real mountain, and other similarly themed rides (EE), but nothing will ever smell as musty-sweet as the uphill climb in Disney's one and only original Matterhorn at our beloved DL.
    Mmmmm...I love the smell of the Matterhorn...Pirates, HM, and Splash Mountain, too, for that matter. Indy can be good if you're in the right mood.

Aren't we overdue for another "Smells of Disneyland" thread, anyway?

• Senior Minion

It seemed to me that recently Honor Hunter at Blue Sky Disney hinted that the future DL Shanghai might be getting a Matterhorn. I wonder if this will really happen. It seems most people would be against it, but what do would you think? I think it's be neat to see a Matterhorn with modern technology, but I also think it makes DL special having the one and only. Overall, I guess I'd be against it, but since it's far away I guess it's not too bad.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

I don't particularly care if another Disney park gets its own Matterhorn. It's nice having a unique attraction, but then again, no one will ever be able to take away Disneyland's honor of having contained the first tubular steel roller coaster. As long as ours continues to receive proper maintenance, I don't mind it being included in other parks, since I'm unlikely to visit those parks, at least in the near future. What I am opposed to is receiving direct transplants here at the DLR. Unless they're really, really good attractions, that is.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234