Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disneyland Construction and History

I'm creating this thread for those who have an interest and questions about the construction, redesign, changes and history of Disneyland and its attractions. I'm especially interested in old photographs and aerials.

To start off with, I noticed in an old aerial shot of Casey Jr, that there was a topiary garden between the back of Casey Jr and the DLRR, a precursor to the one at IASW.

I also was wondering about the DLRR train tunnel behind Casey Jr - is it still there or has it been demolished? UPDATE: just answered my own question by looking at Live Maps bird's eye view. The tunnel is still there and both openings still seem to be in use.

Last edited by Mojave; 09-12-2008 at 04:23 PM.

• =)

Re: Disneyland Construction and History

Woo hoo! I'm glad you decided to start the thread. Hopefully this'll be big.

Good catch with the topiary garden! I never noticed that before. As for the train tunnel...well, I'm not sure if it's the same one, but there's currently a non-railraod-related tunnel in very nearly the same spot. That area is now occupied by a backstage walkway that looks like this (photo courtesy BoygunaSurf):

We're looking west. As you may be able to see, there's a short tunnel further to the west, down at the end of that walkway, and it ought to be the tunnel in question. Looks like this:

Thanks to BoygunaSurf for that shot, too. It's hard to tell, but based on that aerial photo and this one, I think it's in the same location. Could be the same one. In any case, that tunnel (seen from the air in modern times here) appears to lead to the backside of Big Thunder Ranch.

The train, meanwhile, does pass through a tunnel at that point in the tour, but it's further north and longer. Incidentally, I just started adding that tunnel to my 3D model in the last few days.

Great shots! That's definitely the same tunnel, complete with metal tube and wood retaining walls. Here's a shot from the other side from 1965, after they'd moved the tracks north to accommodate IASW.

Last edited by Mojave; 09-12-2008 at 04:46 PM.

• We Want The Redhead

This is going to be one fun thread! I love these 'under construction' pics!
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• =)

All righty! One mystery solved...only 2,599,244 remaining!

One thing that I find interesting is the number of ways the berm (or, to be more general, the boundary drawn by the railroad tracks) can be crossed. I think I'll make a list right now to satisfy myself. I'll post it as soon as I'm done...

Great thread. I look forward to additional postings!
    The Mur

The tunnel is currently access from backstage Fantasyland to the Festival Arena.

• =)

This is going clockwise, starting at the entrance.

1. The entrance tunnel to the right of the train station.
    2. The entrance tunnel to the left of the train station.
    3. A backstage underpass immediately to the west of Main Street. Also visible one minute into this video, which was, I'm honored to say, "dedicated" to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=GNp8FjxLjqo4. The spike room in the Indy queue.
    5. This passage beneath the berm, which leads to a service area sandwiched between the berm, the first POTC show building, and the Indy queue. (Can't remember who took the photo, sorry!)

6. The Davy Jones effect tunnel in Pirates of the Caribbean.
    7. The room in shambles just after POTC's dungeon scene.
    8. Roof access between the Pirates show buildings.
    9. The transition between the portrait gallery and the loading area of HM.
    10. This shedlike structure behind the HM facade, which leads down stairs below the berm, into the attraction's tower. (My photo.)

11. The Doombuggy track as it passes the tower without riders in preparation for the descent into the loading area.
    12. The Doombuggy track as it passes the first hitchhiking ghost "mirror."
    13. Below-grade rooms beneath the tracks inside this train tunnel between HM and Splash. (Not my photo.)

14. The top of the mill lift on Splash Mountain.
    15. The big lift hill on Splash.
    16. The first drop.
    17. The left turn after the showboat.
    18. The outdoor section halfway between the mill lift and the first drop.
    19. Just after the loading area.
    20. The walkway into Critter Country, beneath the tracks.
    21. Another tunnel under the berm just east of the Pooh show building.
    22. Not sure about this one, but this tunnel at least used to be a passage to the old roundhouse. I don't know if it provides access anymore, but there's something on the other side. My photo.

23. This modern gateway to backstage, just a little further northeast. My photo.

24. This outdoor path leads overa train tunnel. I'm currently developing this area in my model.
    25. This big underpass goes beneath that same train tunnel.
    26. The path into Toontown.
    27. The end of IASW.
    28. The beginning of IASW.
    29. This path leads right across the tracks from a gate near IASW, ending up back by the show building and the roundhouse. My photo, and my Photosynth as well.

30. The monorail track as it enters the park.
    31. The monorail track as it leaves the park.
    32. Another path across the tracks, just before they enter the first diorama building.
    33. An underpass beneath this covered bridge for the railroad. My photo.

Wowwwwweeeeeee, that's a lot! If I've missed any, please speak up, and I'll amend the list.
    Last edited by Datameister; 09-12-2008 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added Nautilus' suggestions

• Minion

Blog Entries

This is a really interesting thread... I really can not wait to see how it develops... Something I found out the other night (not really construction related but interesting non the less... ) The catering truck company that currently services Disneyland Cast Members is the exact same catering truck company that serviced the engineers during the orignal contruction of the park...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• Disney Geek

Great thread. Keep the pics coming!

• =)

This isn't anything new, but for those who haven't seen it, I spent a few months earlier in the year reconstructing a never-built Haunted Mansion design on my computer. Here's my blog post about it, and here's GRD999's post. You can see all the renders of it in this set on Flickr, along with other shots of my project.

Great list Datameister! Four things:

You forgot the underpass HM ride return. I'm thinking the ghost mirror section or the unload area. And then the vehicles cross under again once guests unload.

The list of Splash Mountain crossover/unders has me loopy - did you forget the underpass right after the final riverboat scene?

And as for POTC, I've never been able to pinpoint the exact place they cross under. I knew it was roughly the tunnel near the leading to the Davy Jones effect, but where exactly? And I knew it was roughly just at or after the jail scene, though there is a very low spot in the ceiling of the shambles room where the beams are swaying. Is it that low spot specifically that you think is where the train goes over?

What about crossovers in the POTC? There's certainly roof access that crosses over. But there's also the room/facade at the exit of the train tunnel just before the station, that look like it could be a hallway crossover. What do you think?
    Last edited by Mojave; 09-12-2008 at 08:02 PM.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Here's a video I did a year or two ago for school project on the inspiration, construction, opening, and improvements of the "big three" 1959 attractions (Subs, Monorail, Matterhorn). Just thought I'd add it here since it dealt with Disneyland Construction and History.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=TSKuG47YvR0

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Great list Datameister! Four things:

You forgot the underpass HM ride return. I'm thinking the ghost mirror section or the unload area. And then the vehicles cross under again once guests unload.

The list of Splash Mountain crossover/unders has me loopy - did you forget the underpass right after the final riverboat scene?
    Bah, right you are on both of those! I thought of them, but then I forgot to include 'em. I'll do that right now.

And as for POTC, I've never been able to pinpoint the exact place they cross under. I knew it was roughly the tunnel near the leading to the Davy Jones effect, but where exactly? And I knew it was roughly just at or after the jail scene, though there is a very low spot in the ceiling of the shambles room where the beams are swaying. Is it that low spot specifically that you think is where the train goes over?
    According to my blueprints, the Davy Jones tunnel comprises a straightaway followed by a slight S-bend to the right, a very short straightaway, and then a slight bend to the left that leads out into the battle scene. The railroad tracks should pass directly over that short second straightaway. I'm not sure where the Davy Jones effect takes place, but I suspect it's during the S-bend. I'll pay more attention next time. As for the return...well, you make a left turn out of the dungeon, go straight in the creaking room, make a slight left turn, and continue through the room into the armory shootout. The railroad tracks pass over the halfway point between the left turn into the room and the slight left.

What about crossovers in the POTC? There's certainly roof access that crosses over. But there's also the room/facade at the exit of the train tunnel just before the station, that look like it could be a hallway crossover. What do you think?
    Excellent point. There are traffic pads and stairwells on the roof for crossing over; I'll add those to the list. Inside...hmm, I'm not sure. It certainly looks like a possibility, but I dunno. We'll have to wait for CM confirmation. Anyone?

Great thread! Does anyone have any 1955 Tomorrowland construction pics? Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast