Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Tomorrowland entrance - why didn't we get this?

I was surfing through some of my old photographs, and I found this. I don't have the context (other than it was obviously in a book somewhere at the Resort), but you can tell that it was a proposal for the Tomorrowland entrance. It's a great design, and frankly, I still think they should do it today.

Wouldn't this look great?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Shubisha

Re: Tomorrowland entrance - why didn't we get this?

It still blocks all the crowd flow which is one of the biggest gripes about the astro jets, aesthetics aside. If they wanted to clear the trees and put that in the former Triton gardens as a fixture aside the tomorrowland entrance once pixieland is done then that could be cool.

• =)

Nah, not so much my thing, sorry. =/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Kinda reminds me of the backwards waterfalls found at Epcot. Although it looks nice, I can't see it as an entrance.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disney Geek

I don't like it as a futuristic theme. Although what they have there isn't any better.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    It still blocks all the crowd flow which is one of the biggest gripes about the astro jets, aesthetics aside. If they wanted to clear the trees and put that in the former Triton gardens as a fixture aside the tomorrowland entrance once pixieland is done then that could be cool.
    I agree with this. The area has been and will continue to be a huge traffic problem on all but the emptiest of days. Putting the jets there with the french fries has to be one of the biggest blunders they've ever made. Putting a bunch of pretty water fountains right where people are trying to walk would only make things worse as people would stop and stare.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It looks nice, but the main element that Tomorrowland really needs is the open space that was lost when the Astro Orbiter and those rocks blocked the entrance.

The open space was a wonderful design element in and of itself and represented the open expanse of the future.

The future is ours to create and the current barrier creates a metaphorical barrier to a future filled with hope and optimism.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    I was surfing through some of my old photographs, and I found this. I don't have the context (other than it was obviously in a book somewhere at the Resort), but you can tell that it was a proposal for the Tomorrowland entrance. It's a great design, and frankly, I still think they should do it today.

Wouldn't this look great?

I think it would be awesome! Love this!
    Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    I think the biggest thing that blocks the crowd flow are those hideous rocks - not the Rockets so much......althought, I do think they should be moved back to the Rocket Jet Flight Deck.....

The flow in to Tomorrowland used to FLOW...and now it just seems to clog...and something needs to be done about that - and soon!

Love your photo idea Morrigoon - looks great - and doesn't have to be exactly like that - just something of the like

Thanks for sharing.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I agree with Disneyland Daddy. Move the Rocket Jets back to the top of the PeopleMover platform, remove the "french fry" rocks and open up the entrance to Tomorrland!

No offense to the OP. I like the fountain idea. It's cool. But there simply isn't room for it at the entrance. I'd love the concept somewhere else in Tomorrowland though.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• insufferable know-it-all

Well, I'd actually like to see it perhaps split in half, with the central walkway through the middle, you know, two smaller fountains on either side of the entrance. Or in thirds, with a smaller piece in the center since the Peoplemover track also splits things in half. Same dramatic effect, less clogging.

But I agree with DD, the rocks are a bigger problem even than the Astro-Orbiter.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Well, I'd actually like to see it perhaps split in half, with the central walkway through the middle, you know, two smaller fountains on either side of the entrance. Or in thirds, with a smaller piece in the center since the Peoplemover track also splits things in half. Same dramatic effect, less clogging.
    See, I kinda had the same idea. A water feature running down the middle would be cool. If it had "openings" that allowed traffic thru occasionally it might work. Of course, Legal would kill it for one reason or another.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• U. B. Bold

There used to be fountains on either side of TLs entrance. They were converted to planters back in 19-I-don't-remember.

I agree that the current entrance is a bottlenecked mess and needs urgent attention. First the giant french fries should be removed, then the orbiter moved back to the top of the PeopleMover platform. Then some kind of new water feature on each side of the entrance would be nice.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Banned User

That entrance looks horrible. I like the 60s-80s enterance to Tomorrowland the best.

• no flash photography...

I don't care for it and it looks like a traffic flow nightmare.

• =)

I gotta say...I'mnot particularly fond of any of the designs Tomorrowland's entrance has sported. I like the kinetic flashiness of the Astro Orbitor, but it makes no sense on a thematic level and it contributes to the traffic issue, and having the attraction at ground level reduces the thrill. The entrance before the current one was nice in that it was more open, with the Rocket Jets and PeopleMover track acting together as a proper weenie in to the land. But I also find it to be more...boring.

It'd be nice to see something that was thematically consistent and exciting to look at, but not bulky enough at the ground level to significantly block traffic. Then again, Adventureland and Frontierland don't have huge monuments to mark their entrances...so maybe it's unnecessary. I dunno.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-12-2008, 10:44 PM