Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Birds of Disneyland

It struck me today -- while walking through a strip mall parking lot and seeing a bunch of pigeons -- that I don't recall seeing pigeons, or crows, for that matter, at the Park. It seems there are always those little sparrows and such, but not the big birds. That got me to wondering how Disney keeps the large, more "predatory" beasts out and attracts only the smaller, cuter, feathered friends (who may have been cast for a "Snow White frolics with the woodland creatures" scene). Perhaps it's an issue of cleanliness (I associate the bigger birds with more gritty urban areas, foraging for scraps, etc), or perhaps there is something to repel the "undesirables"? No offense to pigeons and crows -- although pigeons often "deface" structures; crows aren't so much messy as they are a more menacing presence (all that cawing!).

• no flash photography...

Re: The Birds of Disneyland

are you kidding? there are so many crows/raven at DL...look up in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    are you kidding? there are so many crows/raven at DL...look up in the trees.
    Oh, that's where they are! I guess they are on such good behavior that I hadn't noticed them.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Oh, that's where they are! I guess they are on such good behavior that I hadn't noticed them.
    yeah and when they take flight it looks like something out of "the birds".

after doing a search I found this about birds at DL.

I have seen crows while at the park, but I've never seen pigeons. I have definately seen mice and cats.

• Squealing Fangirl

Hmmm... I usually see crows at least once when I'm at Disneyland... Yesterday I saw this big group fly overhead. Then they surprised me by flying back the way they came, and then again the first way. It was kind of strange.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

There's all kinds of birds there. I've seen crows, pigeons, seagulls, egrets, and of course ducks.

Those small birds you see are sparrows -- (not the POTC kind LOL). I'm surprised that I don't see any swallows though. Maybe because Anaheim isn't hilly and in nature they require cliffs to live. Or Disney knocks down their mud nests, but since that is illegal I doubt they would do that.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

What strikes me as odd is Disneyland is loaded with crows and DCA has a bunch of Seagulls. It's strange that it works out that way. I'm glad I don't see pigeons there. Pigeons are the rats of the bird species.

• keh!

my god, those small sparrows are dive bombers. they always fly so close to my face everytime i'm there. those vicious birds are always 3 inches from smacking someone.

There was a bunch of crows one day as we were walking from HM. They all started flying and made so much noise! They sounded like all the crows in HM.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Thank you, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    ....I'm glad I don't see pigeons there. Pigeons are the rats of the bird species.

"The setting is Italy during WWII. The British troops have entered the town and taken it without a fight. The Germans have fled, but the big problem is that a bombing raid is scheduled. A lot of innocent people will die. The radio is broken, so they can't get a message back to stop the bombing. Then, they remember that they have a homing pigeon named G. I. Joe. A message is attached and the pigeon is set aloft. It braves German gunfire, bad weather and a hungry hawk. Just in time it arrives at the airbase to stop the bombing raid. Based upon a true story, this pigeon was given a medal and went on to live in the Detroit zoo." -Hero Pigeon by Marilyn Courlot.

aashee, I hope that after reading this you just might change your mind about pigeons. It's a fine example of how even a lowly thought of creature is able to make a huge difference in the lives of others.
    Last edited by Mad Madame Momba; 09-13-2008 at 10:39 AM.

• =)

Once, I was sitting with some friends on a bench in front of the bushes on the hub side of the castle. Apparently, there was a nest inside the bush, because we ended up being dive-bombed repeatedly by some very vicious birds. No one was hurt...and it was actually pretty funny...but those critters did NOT want us sitting on that bench. I can still feel the feathers and claws in my hair...

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Just watch the skies as the sun is setting in Disneyland, as SCUBAbe said, it looks like a scene out of The Birds. It looks like every crow in Southern California comes to Disneyland to roost for the night.

That's a funny observation aashee, I never noticed that, but you're right, I've never seen a crow in DCA, and I've never seen a seagull in Disneyland. Odd....

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Madame Momba View Post
    aashee, I hope that after reading this you just might change your mind about pigeons. It's a fine example of how even a lowly thought of creature is able to make a huge difference in the lives of others.
    I'm not calling for the eradication of all pigeons, I just find them to be dirty. Same with rats. I'm not a hater.

• Hooterville, USA

[quote=Villains Fan;3121718]Just watch the skies as the sun is setting in Disneyland, as SCUBAbe said, it looks like a scene out of The Birds. It looks like every crow in Southern California comes to Disneyland to roost for the night.quote]

That's when you will see the crows jostling for tree position.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast