Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• 11/7/08 Fantasmic Returns

Disneyland Park Ride G-Forces (Measurements)

So there is a free application available for the iPhone, and 2nd generation iPod Touch. Its called Roller Coaster Physics. Its uses the built in accelerometer to measure gravitational forces. So just for kicks, I went to DL today and rode a few rides and recorded the ride to see what the results were. Below are the results the program gave, so I'm not sure how accurate they are, but here you go:

Space Mountain: 2.92 durring the drop
    BTMRR: 3.37 durring the double helix after the second lift
    Matter Horn (TL Side): 2.42 just after the first monster
    Star Tours: 2.23 just after the Deathstar explodes

Here is a link that will open iTunes and take you to the app store:
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...290371763&mt=8

Will definately have to try it on the rides over in California Adventure after I get back from Spain.
    ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

• =)

Re: Disneyland Park Ride G-Forces (Measurements)

Very cool! Thanks so much for posting the figures! Anyone else wanna try, see if they get the same numbers?

How awesome is that? Technology!

• Nill

I find it odd that Star Tours registered on it....because it is a motion simulator. 2.2 seems higher than I would think.....but I don't know the exact movement when the deathstar explodes. I think the cabin leans back, which is why I find it odd it registered as 2.2.

• Infinitized!

I wonder what ToT is, and no it is not a full freefall.

• Hall Of Promise

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I wonder what ToT is, and no it is not a full freefall.
    ToT measures into the negative G's as it pulls the cabin downward faster than it would in a natural free fall, which would be 0 G's. I believe it is somewhere near -0.9 G's. I have seen reports listing as low as -1.3 G's, but I have yet to find a confirmation. What I do know is that riders of Tower of Terror will feel forces as high as 3.1 G's and as low as -0.9 G's within about 30 seconds.

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by BurtGummer View Post
    I find it odd that Star Tours registered on it....because it is a motion simulator. 2.2 seems higher than I would think.....but I don't know the exact movement when the deathstar explodes. I think the cabin leans back, which is why I find it odd it registered as 2.2.
    I would think, then, that the short hop through hyperspace should register somewhere around there too, probably at the beginning is when it's felt the most.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Disneyland Park Ride G-Forces (Measurements)

I would really be curious as to the readings on Mission Space as compared to spinning rides like the ones that have the floor drop while one sticks to the wall, or the one where you stand on a spinning platform that goes from parallel to perpendicular.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    ToT measures into the negative G's as it pulls the cabin downward faster than it would in a natural free fall, which would be 0 G's. I believe it is somewhere near -0.9 G's. I have seen reports listing as low as -1.3 G's, but I have yet to find a confirmation. What I do know is that riders of Tower of Terror will feel forces as high as 3.1 G's and as low as -0.9 G's within about 30 seconds.
    "Natural" free fall measures 1G, not 0, for what it's worth. 0G would mean zero acceleration and you'd, uh, never come down.

• Nill

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWolf38 View Post
    I would think, then, that the short hop through hyperspace should register somewhere around there too, probably at the beginning is when it's felt the most.

Well, when you go 'light speed', the only thing thats happening is you're being tilted back and held there, so most of the weight is on your back, making it seem that you are accelerating when you really aren't. Think of it as leaning back in your computer chair and holding still for a few seconds.

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by BurtGummer View Post
    Well, when you go 'light speed', the only thing thats happening is you're being tilted back and held there, so most of the weight is on your back, making it seem that you are accelerating when you really aren't. Think of it as leaning back in your computer chair and holding still for a few seconds.
    Ok, I gotcha.

I'm guessing the highest g rating in the park will happen on Screaming just before you enter the loop (thats the only place I actually felt my back compress... Ouch!)

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by Sy- View Post
    I'm guessing the highest g rating in the park will happen on Screaming just before you enter the loop (thats the only place I actually felt my back compress... Ouch!)
    Same here... only it's right after the loop for me, but maybe that's just a delayed reaction to the forces... I have 2 steel rods in my back, so it feels funny when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    "Natural" free fall measures 1G, not 0, for what it's worth. 0G would mean zero acceleration and you'd, uh, never come down.
    Actually, in freefall, you are experiencing 0G or weightlessness. There is still a force of 1G acting on your body, but you don't feel it. If you could step on a scale while in freefall, you would weight 0 pounds. Same thing happens when you are orbiting Earth. You are in freefall and therefore experiencing 0G. But the freefall is caused by Earth's 1G.

• Hall Of Promise

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    I am not speaking about the natural force of Earth's gravity on our body, but the forces against one's body, or what we feel, when in constant changing motion.

And I happened to download the app and playing with it right now. It's pretty limited but fun to play with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast