Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Premium Youngling and

Re: Big Disney Announcement this afternoon

Hmmm... sounds interesting

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by BWthespian View Post
    Hate to be a downer, but I can already see the "get in free on your birthday" deal in some way or another getting abused and taken advantage of by people who don't want to pay for tickets. Putting on my "corporate hat" How is Disney going to profit from this anyhow? What if lets say a thousand or so "groups" of guests come on their birthday. Would the company in a way suffer from this.
    How could they not make money? It's not like families are all born on the same day. If it's little Billies birthday and the family hits the park to celebrate, most of the family would have to pay to get in.

• CM supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    But there is a "AP/Vacation Package" exception, and they can choose for alternative gifts, I like the $69 Gift Card (must be used on your Birthday) option.
    Excellent, I can't wait to use my $69 gift card to buy something cool!

• Goofy

what if your blocked out on your birthday?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    what if your blocked out on your birthday?
    I presume you will just get a free one day ticket, so you can visit on your BD.

Or you can pay $40 for a blockout ticket and then get your $69 gift card.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

I like the gift card idea. We all have PAPs and already go on our birthdays. Now we'll get some extra spending money too!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Ok, I can live with the gift card I can use to buy ME stuff at the park on my birthday. I'm down with that...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Regularly Confused

This marketing scheme makes a lot more sense to me than the Year of a Million Dreams. I think they've gone the right direction this year.

Here we are in an economic slowdown (or whatever you want to call it) and they have essentially made the marketing theme a big discount. Makes sense to me. A lot of people are going to want to go on their Birthday to get in free and most will probably drag at least one person with them. That's basically 50% off admission. And its a happy thing and most importantly it's *easy to understand*!

I have no idea how much money the Year of a Million Dreams cost but I have trouble believing the new campaign will cost more than the free stuff, trips, building those dream suites, etc. The best part is you don't have to be lucky, you just have to show up on your birthday.

Plus the marketing theme itself is focusing attention on a current reason people visit the parks, Birthdays, Anniversaries and other celebrations.

Personally I think it has a lot of possibilities and is a nice change from the last 2+ years.

PS: Oh and if you have an AP you can get four attraction fastpasses for you and up to five more (instead of the free ticket), did I read that option right? Dream fastpass without having to be lucky - finally something for the unlucky of us!
    Last edited by SoCalJoshy; 09-18-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalJoshy View Post
    The best part is you don't have to be lucky, you just have to show up on your birthday.
    I agree, that is a nice change from the YOAMD.

• out & about

I just hope they dont kill the parks with ugly promo material. A few signs here and there is ok. new park maps are fine. but keep the promo stuff off and out of places it doesnt belong. I just really dont want this shoved down our throats.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Banned User

I think Disney is really smart when it comes down the the $69 gift card. But couldn't you argue if you are an APer that you parkhop and should get the one day parkhopper priced giftcard. Plus you are probably not going to spend under the gift card value, you will go above it and end up buying something that maybe you didn't possibly think about paying for before you got the free money. But hey, I'll take free money on my Birthday!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup View Post
    I just hope they dont kill the parks with ugly promo material. A few signs here and there is ok. new park maps are fine. but keep the promo stuff off and out of places it doesnt belong. I just really dont want this shoved down our throats.
    I agree, but I'd rather have this shoved down our throats than the YOAMD stuff, which has been inferior in every way, both visually and in terms of its actual purpose as a promo. Hopefully they'll be tasteful...everything thus far has been an improvement over the YOAMD, so there's a fighting chance we won't be seeing tacky decorations everywhere this time. And I doubt they'll wrap up one of the Mark VII monorails, considering they're so new!

• ...TWO BITS!

Interesting they didn't go into more detail about stuff like the BBQ in Disneyland.

What if a child has a birthday on a Wednesday during school? Would that child be able to use a free day on the weekend instead? Like "Come visit for a free day within a week of your actual birthday"?

Free balloons sound nice

It wouldn't matter much about the free admission tickets. People will still spend money on parking, merchandise, food, etc. Also good point from a previous poster, the $69 gift card. SO does that mean only 1 free ticket for 1 park? The article says Walt Disney World RESORT and Disneyland RESORT. So what does the free ticket apply to? Park-Hopper or 1 day 1 park?

I still don't think we have the bigger picture about this whole thing. I'll wait for more info. But sounds promising.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 09-18-2008 at 10:37 AM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• The Pirate Girl

I think this is really awesome!
    Too bad I'll be going in November for my birthday! They won't have started the new promotion!
    Of course, I am hoping for Dream Ears if they're giving them out still.
    For certain you must be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

• CM supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Peglegin98 View Post
    I think Disney is really smart when it comes down the the $69 gift card. But couldn't you argue if you are an APer that you parkhop and should get the one day parkhopper priced giftcard. Plus you are probably not going to spend under the gift card value, you will go above it and end up buying something that maybe you didn't possibly think about paying for before you got the free money. But hey, I'll take free money on my Birthday!
    They give $69 because that's what it costs to get into one park, and that's what they give to non AP'ers. So everyone gets a $69 value out of it.

That's a meal for me and the wife at the Blue Bayou. WooHoo.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast