Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Big Disney Announcement this afternoon (Merged Threads)

well.. marketing is always going to have a budget. I don't think the idea of 'if they weren't spending it here, they could spend it on the parks' really goes too far. Businesses have expectations on how much of their revenue they will spend on marketing efforts regardless. There are rules of thumb in any industry for expected R&D, Marketing, Admin, etc. The big thing is when you need to go beyond those normal ratios or expected spending patterns. Obviously something like the 50th falls into that category, but that was more of a coordinated effort to align many things to have a common timeline for impact as well.

With marketing, if you aren't in the audience that needs convincing to start with.. the best you can normally hope for is its not something that turns you off or are embarrassed of. You don't need be swooned in the first place, so the marketing isn't going to connect with you.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Re: Big Disney Announcement this afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    After seeing this, I don't feel too optimistic about the Celebrate Today! decorations.
    Me neither.... I was watching that video earlier and I knew that it wouldn't be too popular.

The Celebrate Today! street show sound interesting. Someone asked this a few posts up but will this be the next parade? Or maybe just something for park opening? Do we know?
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• For You!

I posted this yesterday and then went straight to the parks - so I didn't get to hang around and see the responses.

But, I'm excited about this - the free ticket is okay, but I like the idea of the gift card even more.

I'm also excited to see where the mickey balloon stops are going to be around the nation.

The parade is just going to re-use the Parade of Dreams floats with overlays. Didn't look too original.

I heard so much "private" info during my conference - I can't wait to share it all. Unfortunately, during the big DCA presentation, they told me to stop taking pictures!

But, someone did mention that this would be the Star Tours announcement - well,
    Tony Baxter did say that it would be changing soon.

I'll have up a full report in a few days.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I could see how this promo would be attractive to local-area AP's... those folks who can take a day oof from work, visit the Park, and then go home that night. But for most folks who visit from out-of-town this promotion is gonna be a big snore with very little incentive.

When one takes into consideration just the costs of travel, lodging, and meals, not to mention souvenirs, the cost of entering the Park for one day is negligible. Especially since Disney won't let one extend that visit to within 3-4 days of ones birthday so they can attend on a weekend.

Nice try Jay, but me thinks this promotion sucks big ones.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    I could see how this promo would be attractive to local-area AP's... those folks who can take a day oof from work, visit the Park, and then go home that night. But for most folks who visit from out-of-town this promotion is gonna be a big snore with very little incentive.

When one takes into consideration just the costs of travel, lodging, and meals, not to mention souvenirs, the cost of entering the Park for one day is negligible. Especially since Disney won't let one extend that visit to within 3-4 days of ones birthday so they can attend on a weekend.

Nice try Jay, but me thinks this promotion sucks big ones.
    You are right in my opinion. And then there's us local APers who don't even need to take off work all day for this -- just head on over there when you're off. Heck, they'll even be able to get a $65 gift card!

This promotion is geared mostly to the locals. Think back to the past year. When was the DLR the most crowded? During the 2fer promotion. Seriously other than that the park has been dead.

I read an article in today's OC Register that 70% of California's hotel rooms are in fact booked by residents of California. According to this statistic the majority of those tennants at the DLR are in fact California residents who live closer to the resort and would therefore benefit more from this promotion than someone who traveled from farther away.

This deal seems to be more beneficial to the DLR than to WDW.

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    You are right in my opinion. And then there's us local APers who don't even need to take off work all day for this -- just head on over there when you're off. Heck, they'll even be able to get a $65 gift card!

This promotion is geared mostly to the locals. Think back to the past year. When was the DLR the most crowded? During the 2fer promotion. Seriously other than that the park has been dead.

I read an article in today's OC Register that 70% of California's hotel rooms are in fact booked by residents of California. According to this statistic the majority of those tennants at the DLR are in fact California residents who live closer to the resort and would therefore benefit more from this promotion than someone who traveled from farther away.

This deal seems to be more beneficial to the DLR than to WDW.
    That is a good point. The promotion SEEMS great on the first glance, but when you delve into guests' potential reactions, it may not work out so well. All the out of town guests won't be that involved in it, unless they're celebrating a birthday or maybe something else special. Otherwise, they're celebrating someone else's special occasion, but not really having one of their own. Us AP'ers don't have much to worry about, since we are there alot anyways, AND we get $65 for whatever we want to buy in the parks once a year. Idk... I don't think all of the repercusions and reactions were considered fully on this one. I still like it better than YOMD though haha.

• Banned User

I'm not too excited about this promotion. I am kinda glad though that it's gonna be more for the locals really, we deserve something since we pump the most money into the park. I'm looking forward to the gift card!

Re: Big Disney Announcement this afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    And I see a problem here -- I was reading on the site that the "Fun Card" is only valid on that first day. Isn't it the law in California that gift cards cannot have an expiration date? I could literally use a gift card purchased 10 years ago without a loss in its value. But maybe I'm totally wrong in this case.
    The CA gift card law only applies when you purchase a gift card (i.e. spending $50 for a Best Buy gift card). Since you're not "buying" the gift card, the law does not apply and Disney can attach whatever terms they want to the card.

Overall, free is never bad and I think some folks are underestimating the power of free...the word will get out and hopefully Disney has learned lessons from YOMD and how to better promote...all indications are they have with a 3 1/2 month notice; plenty of time to get the message to the masses.
    Milhouse: We gotta spread this stuff around. Let's put it on the internet!
    Bart: No! We have to reach people whose opinions actually matter!
    "The Simpsons" Episode #214

• Member of Baxter's Army

I am really dissapointed that they are keeping the generic Disney Parks Logo , Generic Castle in the clouds and Where Dreams Come True slogan. Well I guess they won't be re-recording the introduction to Reflections of Earth anytime soon.
    Last edited by HMF; 09-19-2008 at 02:53 PM.

• The one, the only...

I agree with everyone that this promotion is great for locals, particularly ones with a birthday on a weekend in 2009! So I expect that this will be a great deal for Disneyland. But we must remember that this is for WDW also. There I cannot see how this would be such a great deal. After the costs of travel, hotel and multi-day pass, I cannot see how this would help to attract someone for an extra day.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Pilot EdForceOne

My guess is Disney in WDW not focus as much on the gate promotion, but rather the experiences inside the park. Dining experiences, etc and other tweaks targeted at celebrating something. That will be the unifying theme and such things will not be limited to just doing on your birthday.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    My guess is Disney in WDW not focus as much on the gate promotion, but rather the experiences inside the park. Dining experiences, etc and other tweaks targeted at celebrating something. That will be the unifying theme and such things will not be limited to just doing on your birthday.
    I think you're probably right there.

What is different is that the Celebrations promotion is much more tangible at the DLR where more people are going to see this as either a way to get in for free, or get fastpasses or a gift card. For someone planning a weeklong vacation to WDW this is really going to seem miniscule compared to the entire cost of the vacation.

It is the dining experiences, or adventure experiences, or whatever that is going to be the major factor in WDW. And emphasizing this portion of the Celebrations promotion for WDW is what would work out best for them. All Disney is doing is rebranding and repackaging a WDW vacation in the hopes of getting more people to book vacations there.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

BIRTHDAYS FREE in 2009 @ DLR/WDW

www.disneylandnews.com

Confirmed on The Disneyland Resort Website. Disneyland Resort FREE on your Birthday with proper ID! Woohoo!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789