• Digging to Earth's center

Don't Give Up on Bug's Land

I know. Why in the world bring up DCA's "Bug's Land" when Halloween's coming up, and DL is getting beautiful decorations? Also, what about the DCA billion-dollar redo? Well, I'm going to set these issues aside, because this idea randomly popped into my head -- I know it's out-of-place, but tell me what you think anyways.

First of all, I'm not much of a Bug's Life fan. I was when I was a kid, but not so much now. Yet, I thought of this idea for Bug's Land...

1. Ant Island
    2. P.T. Flea's Carnival
    3. Grasshopper Lair

I know there's probably not enough land to fit this entire idea, with the Cars Land moving in, and even if you cleared out Pacific Wharf, it'd still not fit. But here's the idea anyway...

You enter "Bug's Land", and the first thing you see is Ant Island. It's a huge pretty pond with a giant tree in the middle, and there are entrances all over to the underground Ant Colony. If you enter one of these burrows, you see an underground, complete with glowing mushrooms and intricate passageways and rooms. I know people usually don't like education, but there could be a tie, so kids and adults could learn more about ants and how teamwork lets them survive.

To the left, there's P.T. Flea's Carnival, which is where we could put the collection of existing Bug's Land attractions. Except one big thing bothers me... They HAVE to speed up the bumper cars or else it's boring. Everything else, I'm fine with.

To the right, there's Grasshopper Lair. I'm not quite sure what to do with this place, but I guess this is where the thrill rides could go. I haven't thought of any yet, and ideas would be appreciated!

Ok, the mega E-ticket of this land would be... well, I haven't thought of a decent name yet, so I'm going to call it "Bug's World". I know it's generic, but I haven't thought of a better name. Here's how the ride goes...

The ride vehicles themselves are the log flume/roller coaster type -- I'm guessing it'd be the first time Disney would ever make one. So it starts off like a log flume ride, where you're in the middle of that pretty pond surrounding the huge tree. You circle around the pond, and enter the base of the tree, where there are waterfalls coming off both sides. You suddenly are exposed to total darkness, and there's a drop. The next thing you know, you're inside the Ant Colony. You can walk here by entering Bug's Land, so you can watch ride vehicles go by here.

Flik explains that everything is peaceful in the Ant Colony, and how it used to be terrifying. (Note: I hate it when movies are repeated in ride format, but in this case, it's not following too closely, I don't think) Then the grasshoppers attack and demand the annual offering. Next up, we enter a new section of the Ant Colony, where all the ants are planning to get rid of the grasshoppers, as well as a backup plan. The backup plan is that if the grasshoppers don't leave, they find a way to negotiate minimum offering.

The ants then turn to their circus friends. Here, the ride exits the Ant Tunnels, and enters the Carnival section of Bug's Land. It's another cool place where people can watch ride vehicles go by and around the carnival rides. Next up, there's an outdoor drop to a pretty landscaped area, with oversized plants and fountains.

Suddenly the atmosphere turns eerie, and a scary cave is ahead... Entering it, there's another drop into the Grasshopper Lair. There, we get to see Hopper's side of the plan, how he's planning to take over Ant Island and use the ants as his slaves, and they'll respect him as king. Hopper suddenly recognizes us as spies, and he sends a grasshopper army after us.

That's when the log flume becomes a roller coaster. The roller coaster goes along the lines of Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain (so don't think of a huge skyscraping roller coaster with huuuuuge loops, because it's not that). You're launched 0 to 35 mph (Space Mountain speed) into a field of tall grasses, and huge trees, where we see animatronics of the circus bugs and ants setting up a huge tower of defense.

Once everything's set up, the ants and grasshoppers battle each other, and we climb to the highest point of the tower (this is indoors, not outdoors), where Flik and Hopper fight (Hopper's winning). Suddenly, a large bird appears, and he spazzes, flying away and taking the entire grasshopper army with him. Some grasshoppers join the ants. The cool thing is that the roller coaster goes underground and above ground constantly.

In the end, the ants come in harmony with some of the grasshoppers, and they all work together to survive. It's really pretty -- waterfalls, fountains, oversized plants, and you can see Ant Island's tree in the backdrop. Then we see a random tree, where Hopper is hiding in (I know he dies in the movie, but he's apparently alive throughout the ride).

That's my idea. What do you think?? Would this be a cool Bug's Land expansion if they ever did one? I know it probably won't fit in the provided space, but would this be a good idea for a 3rd park?
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

• =)

Re: Don't Give Up on Bug's Land

Cool ideas, certainly...but how does this relate to the California theme, aside from the fact that California has bugs, just like the rest of the world? Or alternatively...how does this relate to a new theme for the entire park that manages to encompass all the California things that are there?

• Digging to Earth's center

I'm not really going along the lines of California Adventure theme. I'm just adding to the Bug's Land idea that they already have there. This is just random, and I'm not sure where it fits -- hence the reason why I said it could also go into a third park.

Anyway, overall what I was saying was that I'd really like to see more Bug's Life stuff in the Disney parks. I know that most people don't like it when they add Pixar-themed rides, like Astro Blasters and Nemo subs and Monsters Inc., but this idea sounded pretty cool to me.

I don't care where it goes. It just sounded good.
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

I like it, it's a good idea, and please don't give up on Bug's Land, it's my area!

-Frank

• Progressive Disneylander

All I can say is that the Bug's Land area is a well-themed area (well, everything except the exterior of the main attraction), but it could use some better attractions besides It's Tough To Be A Bug (which I love). Some re-imagining is definitely needed and something like this would be a good start.

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

Neat ideas, I like a bugs land the way it is it's one of my favorite places of DCA kids need a break and this area is a really nice kick back area to spend an hour or two. I also love the theming and landscape architecture to it.

• Disney Geek

Bugs land sucks IMO

• would love some pie

I always thought a spinning coaster (in the vein of Crush, but with a custom layout) that wound around the entire land would be a great addition. It could fairly easily be made to look like it was one of Flick's creations, and it could have a few dark ride elements as well.
    KABLAM!