Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Disneyland to offer monthly payments to Southern California AP holders (all 4 typ

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Interesting to see they are restricting it to JUST SoCal folks, I guess they are afraid that an out-of-towner would just cancel their credit card after their visit.
    OMG, interesting thought. Does that mean Disney would have to create/contract an AP Collections Department? That would be surreal...

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Sock Puppet

Re: Disneyland to offer monthly payments to Southern California AP holders (all 4 typ

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    just what the economy doesn't' really need, more people putting more debt onto credit cards they most likely cannot afford....it may seem nice, but sure doesn't' seem fiscally sound

Yep, it's a sad state of affairs.

Check out what Steve Martin (a future Disney Legend) has to say about debt:

SNL Skit: Don't Buy Stuff You Can't Afford

The saying "Charge it!!!" might have worked for Wilma and Betty in the stone age, but today, folks need to pay more attention to what they are doing to their finances.

A neighbor of mine recently renewed their four AP's. Just last week, their car was repo'd. Shows where their priorities were.

I'm not loaning them MY car to get to the Park!

If no one ever filed for bankruptcy over financing "fun stuff" (Disney included), then it would be OK. But...

Just my (non-borrowed) two cents worth...

You all better listen to Dave Ramsey "If you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it."

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Is your assumption that the 2fer attracts people from a lower economic class who creates most of the riff-raff that occurs during this time period?
    I have no idea of their economic status, nor do I care. I do know their are more loud, obnoxious and rude people in the park when the 2fer is going on. I never mentioned "riff-raff" or anything else. i said I feel it's frustrating to be in the parks when the 2fer is going on. I also never implied I dd not like "rubbing elbows with the lower class".

So, if making it easier to purchase ap's brings in the easy to go to the park 2fer crowd I will not be renewing. That is all I said, but thanks for all the assumptions of what I meant....very creative.

• Lady & The Tramp

This would be cool, but it depends on how much interest they charge because sometimes it just isn't worth it.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I have no idea of their economic status, nor do I care. I do know their are more loud, obnoxious and rude people in the park when the 2fer is going on.
    I am going out on a limp here and I'll say it may be because there are more people in the park.

I never mentioned "riff-raff" or anything else. i said I feel it's frustrating to be in the parks when the 2fer is going on. I also never implied I dd not like "rubbing elbows with the lower class".

So, if making it easier to purchase ap's brings in the easy to go to the park 2fer crowd I will not be renewing. That is all I said, but thanks for all the assumptions of what I meant....very creative.
    Ahh, good to know. And here I thought there was more to the comments about "people who couldn't afford it" and "2fer crowd" and the comments about how this caused the same problems with the housing market and the "frustrations" at Walmart and family dining restaurants... my mistake

I still stand by the comment that if they are responsible enough to save up, then they should likewise be responsible enough to make payments.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• GO DBACKS!!

I don't understand that. Is it that hard to just save the money for when it's time to pay.....they are going to end up making payments anyway.
    I agree. If someone has the budget to pay for the AP after the fact then they have the budget to save for it before.

Maybe if kids were taught proper money management from an early age they wouldn't have to worry so much about the economy as adults. A house is a necessity, food is a necessity. A car isn't a necessity even though we think they are. As a society, we are spoiled. I've often done house calls for people who claim they are destitute and can't pay their bills and yet they always seem to be able to afford flat screen TVs, cable, tons of movies and the latest video game and cell phone. Then they try to claim that they have to choose between paying the electric bill and eating. Trust me, they are not starving.

Both Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey were mentioned here before. Bravo! If you are one of those who were happy to hear of this new payment policy maybe you should go to the library and check out financial help books from the aforementioned authors. Most people have more money than they think they do, they just aren't using it correctly. Learn now and reap the benefits later.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I have no idea of their economic status, nor do I care. I do know their are more loud, obnoxious and rude people in the park when the 2fer is going on. I never mentioned "riff-raff" or anything else. i said I feel it's frustrating to be in the parks when the 2fer is going on. I also never implied I dd not like "rubbing elbows with the lower class".

All I did was ask a question. I didn't assume anything. I apologize that I used the term "riff raff". But even though I say I wasn't assuming I can assume that those specific 2fer individuals that you would rather avoid are not the normal happy guests who don't cause peoblems.

And brace yourself, because this plan is specifically designed to bring in the "easy to go to the park 2fer crowd" since it is only offered to Southern California residents -- the same exact crowd who is able to take advatage of the dreaded 2fer offer.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I still stand by the comment that if they are responsible enough to save up, then they should likewise be responsible enough to make payments.
    That's just it, though. The payment plan AP will attract more people who aren't responsible enough to save up. Most "buy now, pay later" plans do.

This is the next step in the Walt-Mart plan. (See my thread "More Evidence of the Wal-Mart model?") Instead of DL being a special place you save up for and anticipate, it's going to be just one more place to go. Accordingly, there will be less investment in all those things that make DL extra special.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Earkid View Post
    Maybe if kids were taught proper money management from an early age they wouldn't have to worry so much about the economy as adults. A house is a necessity, food is a necessity. A car isn't a necessity even though we think they are. As a society, we are spoiled. I've often done house calls for people who claim they are destitute and can't pay their bills and yet they always seem to be able to afford flat screen TVs, cable, tons of movies and the latest video game and cell phone. Then they try to claim that they have to choose between paying the electric bill and eating. Trust me, they are not starving.

Both Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey were mentioned here before. Bravo! If you are one of those who were happy to hear of this new payment policy maybe you should go to the library and check out financial help books from the aforementioned authors. Most people have more money than they think they do, they just aren't using it correctly. Learn now and reap the benefits later.

Wow, you hit the nail right on the head!

Those dreaded two words that few want to hear, and even less want to live by:

Personal responsibility.

It seems like those two words are out of style, or yesterday's news...

Sadly, while enjoying the Park and waiting in line to make a purchase, I have seen WAY TOO MANY guests being told that their credit card has been declined.

But what do they do? Rather than think twice about their purchase, or change their mind, they whip out another credit card!

They act like it is second nature to automatically resort to another card!

And sadly, maybe it is...

• Suspended

Disney just wants their money sooner. There are two types of AP payors:
    1. People who use credit card or have plenty of money to keep renewing. These are not an issue.
    2. People who have to save up each year to renew. This group is splitting into two subsets: those who can save annually, and those who can't.

Seems Disney wants to stop the flood of non-renewals, or more likely the, "Let's wait on rebuying APs until we have the money" folks. That's the only thing that comes to mind to me. (Caution: small mind here.)
    Entertainment is usually first to go in tough times. And three+ AP's for a family that needs money for other things would likely choose to wait until absolutely "necessary" to rebuy AP's.
    However, if Disney can create a payment plan that generates revenue (at the risk of too many visits by people who cannot otherwise afford it thus not spending the rest of their money to make up for the increased visits) ahead of visits, then TDA will make their numbers and worry about the excess expenses (from larger crowds) later (often by reducing quality). The next executives in charge of TDA can worry about that after the current ones get their bonuses.

Seems that lowering the daily gate fee is not feasible, since it would probably have to go down to $20pp (due to the economy) in order for some otherwise-cannot-afford-it families to go.

• Suspended

Our economy was running on the expectation that lots of people would spend more than they have or earn on stuff they don't need. Winners were those who could suck out the most. Disney is pretty good at this, but that is its job, as a company.

Now is what happens when reality sets in.

• Ravenclaw

There does seem to be the sly implication that having people who may not be able to pony up the price for the deluxe or premium AP in the park will turn the park into utter chaos, like Magic Mountain. I'm not saying anyone out and out said that, but the context of posts seems to point to this. I get that it might be bad to give the impression that the park is 'on sale' but does having lower-income guests really correlate to a detrimental experience to those who are averse to being around them?

--nick--
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    There does seem to be the sly implication that having people who may not be able to pony up the price for the deluxe or premium AP in the park will turn the park into utter chaos, like Magic Mountain. I'm not saying anyone out and out said that, but the context of posts seems to point to this. I get that it might be bad to give the impression that the park is 'on sale' but does having lower-income guests really correlate to a detrimental experience to those who are averse to being around them?

--nick--
    my thoughts were based simply on the notion that there are too many people making too many poor choices when its comes to credit cards, it has nothing to do with people of a lower socioeconomic status. i learned the very hard way, after have a car repossessed and having to sell my plasma for grocery money, that relying on credit cards for major expenditures when you don't have the cash flow to afford things is generally a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    It seems to me that someone could just pay the first installment and visit the park unlimited amounts of time until the next payment is due, they can't pay, and the AP is canceled. $69 is around the cost of a one day ticket, and, if you played your cards right, you could visit many, many times before your financial situation caught up with you.
    and this is an example of what some people will most likely do, because there will always be someone who will milk the system for whatever they can get
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Circle of Ancients

We've done this option at both Sea World and Legoland, and it works for us, considering we have to buy 5 AP's every year. (The 4 of us and my MIL). It just saves us from having to plop down what would be around $2000 in one shot.

You still have the option to pay in full, you don't HAVE to pay monthly.

We actually just did it on our Debit card, not a credit card that way we weren't accruing more debt.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast