Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Honor New Orleans (Square)?

I wish we wouldn't rush to "memorialize" every bad thing that ever happens.

However, since you *know* people are going to insist on one... how about renaming the superdome the Katrinadome? Sound tacky? Think about it though... it's been at the center of the whole thing!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

It's very sad to see things unfold on television. It's almost unthinkable. And at times .. we all need to not always be reminded of all the sad things that happen in the world ...when we're at Disneyland. With that in mind ... whatever they decide to do, if anything, I hope will be very subtle.

If anything .. (at the appropriate time) .... emphasize the "life" of New Orleans. Not the opposite.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon

However, since you *know* people are going to insist on one... how about renaming the superdome the Katrinadome? Sound tacky? Think about it though... it's been at the center of the whole thing!
    I personally can't see them ever using the Superdome as a sporting venue again. For all of the horrible things that have gone on in the building and as Morrigoon stated it's been the center of the whole thing in everyone's eyes. How can one host something as trivial as a football game in a place that will forever be connected to the events of this week.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    I personally can't see them ever using the Superdome as a sporting venue again. For all of the horrible things that have gone on in the building and as Morrigoon stated it's been the center of the whole thing in everyone's eyes. How can one host something as trivial as a football game in a place that will forever be connected to the events of this week.
    I'm thinking they're going to have to. There really isn't a lot left in New Orleans. Although greatly damaged (especially the roof), the Superdome is one of the few things that came out relatively undamaged. Mind you, I don't think it'll be used for a while...but I think it'll be used eventually as a symbol that they have rebuilt and will regrow out of the ashes stronger then ever. That's just what I think though....I suppose anything can happen.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

I hope they don't put a memorial in Disneyland, though if they do, I hope it's something temporary and subtle. New Orleans has always had the image of being full of life, so yes, play that up. Life persists, if changed.

It is too soon to think about a memorial.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by Christi
    I just kind of assumed that disneyland would do something subtle and tasteful to acknowledge this tragedy without taking away from the beauty of NOS...I was thinking of just a pretty wreath hung between the buildings like they do at Christmas, with a simple saying....just a little remembrence saying we are aware and we care...it would be something that it you arnt affected you wouldnt really notice, but if you are, you would appreciate...NOS is so special, both the real one and DL, that a small, sweet, unobtrusive gesture I think would be in very good taste....but that is JMHO
    I agree and I was also thinking maybe fly the flags at half staff.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

I was thinking that maybe Disneyland could take all (or a portion of) the proceeds from sales (merchandise, food, etc.) in New Orleans Square for, say, a week and donate the money to a relief fund. They could make an announcement either through the media or in print (map inserts or small notices by the cash registers) to let people know.

With all the locals at Disneyland, I think it would be a chance for people to contribute in a way that would honor Walt's fondness for the city.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

Thumbs down Re: Honor New Orleans (Square)?

HERE YOU LEAVE TODAY
    AND ENTER THE WORLD
    OF YESTERDAY, TOMORROW
    AND FANTASY

• that's right!

Quote Originally Posted by Spalding
    It makes me happy that Disney will donated money in desperate times. I heard wal mart donated a whopping 1 million. I know 1 million is a lot, but for WAL MART!?!?!? Disney doesnt even come close to generating the same kind of revenue walmart does. Maybe disney should have a fund raiser dinner at the Blue Bayou or take some of that extra cash they make from setting up dinners in the HM and donate that.
    Are you joking? Disney could afford to give a billion dollars and they'd still be doing fine. If you're going to get onto Walmart for only giving one million you should get onto Disney because they are certainly capable of giving much, much more. Puff Daddy and Jay-Z each gave a million bucks, and they're single people.

Disney ain't flawless, y'all!

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

What? Where?
    Columbia plaque at WDW is on Mission: SPACE and at the DLR it's in the queue for Soarin'.

And the flags better be at half staff...are they not already?
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

WalMart's still evil, though, right???

I'd hate to have my world-view screwed with.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by squinky
    Are you joking? Disney could afford to give a billion dollars and they'd still be doing fine. If you're going to get onto Walmart for only giving one million you should get onto Disney because they are certainly capable of giving much, much more. Puff Daddy and Jay-Z each gave a million bucks, and they're single people.

Disney ain't flawless, y'all!
    I agree...with the billions that it will cost to rebuild after this, Disney could have given much more. I hope this was a preliminary gift. I can wait a little longer for my next E-Ticket if it means helping these people. Some things take precedence over Splash Mountain and paying $3.59 for a gallon of gas.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I dont think anyone down there will want to hear the name "Katrina" for a very, very long time.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

I know they're supposed to leave the real world outside, but sometimes you just have to acknowledge that, yes, something happened to the real world site that this section of the park is based on. If there were a ride that was themed to look like the World Trade Center twin towers, or the space shuttle Columbia, it would just seem wrong not to have at least an unobtrusive plaque paying respects to the victims of the tragedy.

How is this being handled at the San Diego (Carlsbad) Legoland, which has a large New Orleans miniature diorama?

• Banned User

I'm just glad that Disneyland has a themed area of New Orleans, and not a themed Disneyland in New Orleans....make sense?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast