Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Honor New Orleans (Square)?

Quote Originally Posted by Spalding
    It makes me happy that Disney will donated money in desperate times. I heard wal mart donated a whopping 1 million. I know 1 million is a lot, but for WAL MART!?!?!?
    Wal-Mart upped its donation to 17 million (2nd paragraph)

I would not like to see anything done inside the park for a few reasons.

Disney donated 2.5 million (use link above) and use of the boats in WDW (link here) to help out.

NOS is not meant to be a true-to-life copy of NO. It is there to celebrate the fun loving spirit that NO is famous for.

Disneyland is a place to escape the real-life drama and horror. There is a great reminder of that at the entrance to the park.

I am happy with what Disney has done to help. I would not like to see anything that may bring people down, or remind them of this while in what is supposed to be the happiest place on Earth.

• Don't hate the game...

Quote Originally Posted by openattheseams
    I wouldn't reccommend it.

Disneyland is an escape from the real world, not a reminder of it.

However, if they do tribute the Hurricane, I would rather have it be subtle rather than in my face.
    i agree

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by drb
    If there were a ride that was themed to look like the World Trade Center twin towers, or the space shuttle Columbia, it would just seem wrong not to have at least an unobtrusive plaque paying respects to the victims of the tragedy.?
    Although it's not themed to look like it, The Timekeeper prominantly features the Twin Towers in one of the scenes and they don't have any plaque.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by drb
    I know they're supposed to leave the real world outside, but sometimes you just have to acknowledge that, yes, something happened to the real world site that this section of the park is based on. If there were a ride that was themed to look like the World Trade Center twin towers, or the space shuttle Columbia, it would just seem wrong not to have at least an unobtrusive plaque paying respects to the victims of the tragedy.

How is this being handled at the San Diego (Carlsbad) Legoland, which has a large New Orleans miniature diorama?
    This made me wonder, how do they handle the Hall of Presidents in WDW when one of the Presidents dies?

The last time we were at Legoland, we asked where the World Trade Center used to fit in the New York section because there didn't see the space where it would have gone. We were told that it had never been included because it would have ruined the scale. This seemed strange because they weren't that much taller than the Empire State Building. Does anybody know if this is just a script that they are supposed to follow or did the display really always exclude the Twin Towers?

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Although it's not themed to look like it, The Timekeeper prominantly features the Twin Towers in one of the scenes and they don't have any plaque.

-Michael
    Timekeeper is also almost never opened. Meanwhile the space-themed Mission: SPACE has a Columbia plaque just like the aeronautical Soarin' over California does. I think it's apropos. I'm not sure why we can't be reminded of modern disasters but we want Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln to come back, which is a very strong reminder of one of the lowest points in American History, the Civil War.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    I'm not sure why we can't be reminded of modern disasters but we want Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln to come back, which is a very strong reminder of one of the lowest points in American History, the Civil War.

i guess it's worth repeating:

HERE YOU LEAVE TODAY
    AND ENTER THE WORLD

OF YESTERDAY, TOMORROW
    AND FANTASY

• The Candidate

What is happening in New Orleans is still very fresh. Its true effect on society will not be known for a very long time. When these events are in the realm of "yesterday," perhaps it might be appropriate to commemorate it in New Orleans Square.

Given the importance of music to the city, perhaps it should be left to the musicians of the Disneyland to provide any current recognition of the events.

Quote Originally Posted by squinky
    Are you joking? Disney could afford to give a billion dollars and they'd still be doing fine. If you're going to get onto Walmart for only giving one million you should get onto Disney because they are certainly capable of giving much, much more. Puff Daddy and Jay-Z each gave a million bucks, and they're single people.

Disney ain't flawless, y'all!

thats true. Many corporations could afford to give more, including the Disney Co. Any relief is great for sure. I only targeted Wal Mart because they earn sooo much more than Disney and they are very prevelent in the Southern US. While Disney's quarter revenues have been around $7 Billion, Wal Marts have been $76 Billion. I am glad that both companies, and many others have been providing aid. Now I find out that Wal Mart has donated even more. Next time I'll do more research before I speak. My apologies.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MinionLumbo
    i guess it's worth repeating:

HERE YOU LEAVE TODAY
    AND ENTER THE WORLD

OF YESTERDAY, TOMORROW
    AND FANTASY
    So it was inapporopriate by your standards when the flag in Town Square was at half-staff for 9/11? I mean, really. Disneyland is a realm of make-believe and polished ideals, but that doesn't mean when you walk in the gates the outside world ceases to continue.

I think a window display should be set up for the hurricane victims and the flag should be at half-staff until the situation has some kind of solid hold on it and everything is well into the clean-up and reconstruction processes.

Do you think when people see New Orleans Square on the map as they're on Main Street deciding what to do, or when people are having lunch at Cafe Orleans after a ride on the Makr Twain or the Haunted Mansion, they're going to forget the hurricane? The sight of a French Quarter replica is going to remind people instantly, and by not having any recognition of what occurred from Disney its probably going to come off as insensitive on Disney's behalf.

Some sort of recognition should be observed- my vote is a classy and tasteful window display in New Orleans Square somewhere.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    So it was inapporopriate by your standards when the flag in Town Square was at half-staff for 9/11? I mean, really. Disneyland is a realm of make-believe and polished ideals, but that doesn't mean when you walk in the gates the outside world ceases to continue.

I think a window display should be set up for the hurricane victims and the flag should be at half-staff until the situation has some kind of solid hold on it and everything is well into the clean-up and reconstruction processes.

Do you think when people see New Orleans Square on the map as they're on Main Street deciding what to do, or when people are having lunch at Cafe Orleans after a ride on the Makr Twain or the Haunted Mansion, they're going to forget the hurricane? The sight of a French Quarter replica is going to remind people instantly, and by not having any recognition of what occurred from Disney its probably going to come off as insensitive on Disney's behalf.

Some sort of recognition should be observed- my vote is a classy and tasteful window display in New Orleans Square somewhere.
    Well said.

Another Wal Mart hater here. But I have to say that they've really stepped up to the plate.

Not only have they upped their donation to $15 million plus, they've also sent truckloads of supplies, and either have or are planning to set up mini Wal Marts near the disaster areas so that people can shop for necessities, all free of charge, of course.

Rather than a tribute in New Orleans Square, I'd like to see Disney up their contribution.

• Curiouser and Curiouser

I agree with either the wreath or the window decoration idea, I think there should be a little something to show all of the Louisiana guests that Disneyland really cares about them and there city. I also think that Disney shou;d donate something like 10 or 15% of the sales in New Orleans square to the relief effort.

• Minion

Maybe a tasteful wreath or a single black swath across a wrought iron balcony, like they really do there. Just to show respect to our fellow Americans affected by this horrible occurance. I think there are events that are simply too large in this world to totally disregard, even in a place of happiness and wonder. Walt said Disneyland was created in part by the hard facts that created America. We still at least have his little tribute to such an important city and culture.

• Who's your DaddyB?

Flags are at half mast BY FEDERAL LAW not a the choice of Disneyland.

You don't put your flag at half-mast just because you're sad about something, that's against the law as well. Flags can be ordered to be flown at half mast by order of the President, though.

Do you think when people see New Orleans Square on the map as they're on Main Street deciding what to do, or when people are having lunch at Cafe Orleans after a ride on the Makr Twain or the Haunted Mansion, they're going to forget the hurricane?
    Actually, yes, I do. Whose going to be thinking about The real New Orleans when you get come out of the Haunted Mansion? Really? The Mark Twain is in Frontierland and when you get off you're either looking at Big Thunder, a lemonade stand, or the Golden Horseshoe saloon. I don't think seeing the words "New Orleans" practically anywhere in Disneyland is going to bring other than a moment's hesitation to 95% of the guests.

The sight of a French Quarter replica is going to remind people instantly, and by not having any recognition of what occurred from Disney its probably going to come off as insensitive on Disney's behalf.
    Insensitive? Puh-lease. Disneyland is PC enough. I don't need to be reminded of what's happened to New Orleans, and the New Orleans of Disneyland does not have to reflect anything about what is currently going on in Louisiana.

And obviously my vote would be the exact opposite. I don't need Disneyland to pay tribute to national tragedies. I need Disneyland to give me a place to relax and enjoy life. There are much more appropriate places to give recognition to the national tragedy of hurricane Katrina, including my wallet, my heart, and my prayers.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Banned User

I haven't read the thread. All I have to say is that I thought about the hurricane tragedy when I was at New Orleans Square this past Friday watching Fantasmic. I don't know if Disneyland needs to do anything to symbolize what happened but I definetely thought back to what was happening in the world.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast