Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Re: Honor New Orleans (Square)?

I think New Orleans Square, just the way it is, is enough of a tribute. Life as we know it in that region will not get back to normal for years to come. People's everyday lives have been destroyed, but also, their tourism industry will be devistated for a long time. NOS will serve as a reminder of the great and wonderful cultures in the south. It stands as a tribute to what was and what will someday be again. I know when I visit in a few weeks, I will definitely be reminded of the splendor and beauty of the south. I will be reminded of the dignity of the people and the importance of the culture. I will mourn what is lost, but celebrate the essence whoch will survive.

I think for the park to add some sort of tribute will seem hollow, to say the very least. I feel badly enough to be spending money on a vacation when there are people who have lost everything. Life goes on- I would rather see the company give more money and resources, even sending cast members down to help. That is a truely meaningful gesture. A ribbon or window will not do anything to help the victims and they won't see it anyways.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• U. B. Bold

I don't think that we really want Disney's NOS to reflect the reality of pre or post hurricane New Orleans (have you been to Bourbon St? Ick.) No. I think we all should be happy with the fantasy version and continue to enjoy it the way it is.

Perhaps a plaque of some kind - many years from now - would be appropriate. But not now. Too fresh, too painful and too tragic to be a part of "The Happiest Place on Earth".
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

There is nothing wrong with having black ribbons. They would probably go up around Halloween anyway.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    Flags are at half mast BY FEDERAL LAW not a the choice of Disneyland.

You don't put your flag at half-mast just because you're sad about something, that's against the law as well. Flags can be ordered to be flown at half mast by order of the President, though.
    This isn't true. Flag etiquette is not and cannot be dictated by law due to the First Amendment. The President can only order that flags on federal property be flown at half staff. Private entities and the public can choose whether not they wish to follow the example.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    This isn't true. Flag etiquette is not and cannot be dictated by law due to the First Amendment. The President can only order that flags on federal property be flown at half staff. Private entities and the public can choose whether not they wish to follow the example.
    Yes, but Disney always tries to follow every rule in the flag book. For instance, in the Magic Kingdom, there is only one true flag (the one in Town Square). All the other flags have an extra star or stripe. This is so that they don't have to follow the rules with the other flags. They could just have just had real flags and let them fly in the dark/rain/etc, but they chose to follow the rules.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Curiouser and Curiouser

I like the black ribbon idea too, it could be honor yet still be subtle and tie in with the Halloween decor.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    I'm no expert on federal law, but this was the impression I was under when it comes to flag ettiquitte, etc. Disney didn't need to lower its flag at half staff on 9/11, but did out of respect. It only seems appropriate here as well.... And sine a whole land of the park is modeled after one of the places directly hit by Katrina, it only seems appropriate IMHO that something be shown in respect.

In response to my last post in this thread, Daddyb said Disneyland is already PC enough but I don't think its a matter of being politically correct, just sensitive and caring towards national affairs. The PC-ification of POTC, etc is different than making a window display or something small to show support for New Orleans during this hard time.

Anyways, I respect daddyb and everybody else's opinions on this topic and I do understand where you are coming from...but I just don't agree with some of you.
    Oh well... to each his own, I suppose.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    However, since you *know* people are going to insist on one... how about renaming the superdome the Katrinadome? Sound tacky? Think about it though... it's been at the center of the whole thing!
    I heard on the news today that they are going to demolish the Superdome. They said they are going to build something even stronger in case something like Katrina happens again.

• that's right!

Quote Originally Posted by MinionLumbo
    i guess it's worth repeating:

HERE YOU LEAVE TODAY
    AND ENTER THE WORLD

OF YESTERDAY, TOMORROW
    AND FANTASY
    yeah, you can stop posting this because the New Orleans thing happened a week ago. Which firmly places it into the realm of "yesterday."

Nice try though.

Wink Re: Honor New Orleans (Square)?

Please no flames!

My assessment was that there are a lot of refugees.

And there is a lot of room at DCA.

Make your own associations, please.

Sad Re: Honor New Orleans (Square)?

Actually, yes, I do. Whose going to be thinking about The real New Orleans when you get come out of the Haunted Mansion? Really? The Mark Twain is in Frontierland and when you get off you're either looking at Big Thunder, a lemonade stand, or the Golden Horseshoe saloon. I don't think seeing the words "New Orleans" practically anywhere in Disneyland is going to bring other than a moment's hesitation to 95% of the guests.

We went to Disneyland last week. We started wondering how Disney would be handling their New Orleans area even before we got to the park. When we actually got there, it was a bit of a let down to see that things were going on just like normal.

I understand that Disneyland should be an enjoyable, happy place, but I was feeling uncomfortable, almost like we are enjoying ourselves in an artificial New Orleans, while ignoring the people's tragedy in the real New Orleans.

I don't think that they should make a big deal out of it, but something would be better than nothing.

I've been to New Orleans several times, and have regarded it as one of my favorite areas in the country to visit, especially the French Quarter area. It was pretty eerie to wander around and almost feel like we were there, and then to super-impose over it with my imagination what it really must be like right now.

I came away slightly unsettled, yet somehow comforted by the un-reality of what New Orleans used to be.

I like the idea that others have had of the black ribbon, or something unobtrusive like that.

• Minion

...Whose going to be thinking about The real New Orleans when you get come out of the Haunted Mansion? Really? The Mark Twain is in Frontierland and when you get off you're either looking at Big Thunder, a lemonade stand, or the Golden Horseshoe saloon. I don't think seeing the words "New Orleans" practically anywhere in Disneyland is going to bring other than a moment's hesitation to 95% of the guests.
    I don't agree! I went to Disneyland last week and it was very sad for me to go to NOS. The moment I told my husband..."Let's go on Pirates of the Carribean...it's in New Orleans Square!" my eyes welled up with tears. I don't remember any catastrophe in our lifetime where a major US city has been almost decimated...and one that held the character and culture of a region. I think a tasteful display in one of the balconies will suffice. This major disaster will be in the minds of Americans and the world for years and decades to come and as a major part of culture of America with a land dedicated to this city it is only appropriate, IMHO, for Disneyland to memorialize the great city and all that has been lost.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345