Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Re: Yeah, yeah yeah I'm doin the plain cement paving dance!!

I completely understand the paver issue, but the entire park done in plain flat gray cement. Enjoy your drab park, I won't be back.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    I completely understand the paver issue, but the entire park done in plain flat gray cement. Enjoy your drab park, I won't be back.
    I'm sure it won't be grey. I'm sure it will be colored.

Back in the day I don't remember what the color of the pavement was in Tomorrowland, but in Frontierland I remember it was brown, and in NOS it was green.

• Banned User

I personally like the concrete. It looks nice and fits the sleek look of Tomorrowland.

• Banned User

What if they incorporated some fiber optic lighting into the walkway in TL? Give it some character instead of being just plain cement? There was a post a while back that suggested having lighting in the ground that looked like electricity running through circuit boards. I think that would be really cool. Fiber optics is still a very much futuristic type of concept, even though it is being used widely for telecommunications and other applications. So I think it would fit VERY nicely in TL, especially in the walkways.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
    What if they incorporated some fiber optic lighting into the walkway in TL? Give it some character instead of being just plain cement? There was a post a while back that suggested having lighting in the ground that looked like electricity running through circuit boards. I think that would be really cool. Fiber optics is still a very much futuristic type of concept, even though it is being used widely for telecommunications and other applications. So I think it would fit VERY nicely in TL, especially in the walkways.
    If they ever added fiber optics to the ground in Tomorrowland, I'd probably die happy. I'd never leave that area at night.

• Minion

I can totally see where you're coming from on this. I've pushed a few wheelchairs and strollers around and know they can get super heavy and super bumpy around the parks. I think the smooth cement would be a better surface for transport, but the stones are better for upkeep. Say you get a crack in the cement, either you replace the entire thing or you have a sore thumb sticking out with an off colour. With the stones you just pop out the broken one and pop in a new one and it's good as new.

Cost vs. Use

Well, from what you could see out by Star Tours today ... its flat and grey with NO color whatsoever.

I don't want to cause any trouble or anything, but I'd rater have plain grey cement, then having anyone fall and hurt themselves due to uneven paving stones.

If they make it colorful, and maybe put some mica in it to make it kinda glitter-y (I believe it's mica they use for that) then that would make the plain old cement more attarctive.

• Missing an Angel

I'm sorry. But I don't really see why a repavement would keep someone from comming back to Disneyland.

I couldn't say for sure, but I would have to bet that they won't just leave the cement its natural color. Surely they will use some sort of paint? There are special paints they use around pool areas that are really durable and it comes in all sorts of colors.

• is too darn hot.

Yes, because Frontierland would look so fantastic without all those wagon ruts, horseshoe prints and other details that make it look like a frontier town.

A little bit of Disneyland dies with that crappy, hideously ugly grey cement.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Shubisha

When looking at old Tomorrowland pictures I get most nostalgic not for the scenery but for seeing the big expansive bright blue flat pavement it used to have.

• Disneyland Geek

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    If they ever added fiber optics to the ground in Tomorrowland, I'd probably die happy. I'd never leave that area at night.
    seconded!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I agree with you completely! Even if they had colored flat cement for different lands, it would still be drab, and take away from the overall theme of several lands. Adventureland and Frontierland are done particulary nice. Love the horseshoes and other "tracks" that are part of the design! Disneyland IS special because of these details.

Quote Originally Posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
    As for some of the bricks used in Tomorrowland, I don't think it particularly enhances or ties in with the theme of that land. Ever since I saw the fiber optic lighting in some of pavement in EPCOT, I've wanted DL-TL to add this special touch. It does enhance the area considerably and is practically an attraction in itself! Whenever they FINALLY move the Rocket back up high in the sky, to their old weenie position, there will be plenty of open area at the entrance to TL, where fiber optic lighting would look out of this world!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    I am hoping this means all they are doing in NOS around the mansion is redoing the smooth cement paving there with the same and NOT putting pavers in! I really hope so as that is my favorite area to hang out and up till now the only smooth one left.
    Don't count on it.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

They just demolished the old tile floors in the store I work in. They smoothed out the concrete and acid washed it leaving it stained red. It really came out nice, it looks a lot like granite now.
    Matthew

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast