Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

what if walt bought more acres in anaheim for disneyland?

If walt disney bought more acres in Anaheim for disneyland would disneyworld would of been created if disneyland was alot bigger than now?

• Missing an Angel

Re: what if walt bought more acres in anaheim for disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboi92 View Post
    If walt disney bought more acres in Anaheim for disneyland would disneyworld would of been created if disneyland was alot bigger than now?
    Thats assuming he could have bought more than he did.

Walt was a smart man who surrounded himself with smart people. I'm sure he would have dreamed something else up if Disneyland were bigger...

• Shablagoo!

And we would have had DIsneySea and A gigantic Mickey Mouse robot that would be able to literally crush the competition.

• Banned User

I ask myself this question alot because I think it's a slap in the face to us Disneyland locals that DisneyWorld got 4 huge parks.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I ask myself this question alot because I think it's a slap in the face to us Disneyland locals that DisneyWorld got 4 huge parks.
    There are a ton of people on these boards who think the DLR is leaps and bounds better than WDW as it currently is.

I wouldn't worry about this so much.

One of the best things about the DLR is how you can get around the entire resort just by walking. Nothing is too far away from each other. If you want to park hop at the DLR you can easily do so within a 10 or 15 minute walk. If you want to park hop at WDW it will take you at least 30 minutes to an hour. And walking isn't even involved in this case.

• =)

Land's cheaper there, and no suburbs nearby. There's ample room for expansion in Florida; there's not here. Simple as that. Besides, size isn't everything. And by most accounts, Disneyland vastly exceeds WDW's Magic Kingdom in most ways, anyway. I'd rather have one abso-freaking-lutely amazing theme park with an ugly stepsister than four theme parks that are merely great.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

A slap in the face? That's a tad much isn't it?

When Walt decided to build Disneyland, he was doing something that had never been done before. He had no idea how it was going to turn out... and neither did his investors.

Walt Disney borrowed, begged, and cashed in his own life insurance policy so he could buy/build Disneyland. It was only after Disneyland proved to be a huge success that he was able to have more money to buy up land, but by then all of the land in Anaheim was too pricey, so he had to look somewhere else to further develop his dreams. Besides, after the 1964 Worlds Fair in New York, he knew that the East Coast was ready for a themepark like Disneyland.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you really ought to do yourself a favor and read up on the history of Disneyland, Walt Disney World and Walt Disney. You'll have a much better understanding of why things have happened over the years the way they did.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• E T1CK3T

Like alot of ppl have pointed out, too, Disneyland has a very intimate feel to it, w/ the park not being nearly as big as WDW. I personally love that fact. AND it's the original, the only one Walt personally walked in, and truely loved. Most of WDW didn't even come to be until after his death, so to me, it somewhat lacks the passion and love that Walt had for Disneyland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    There are a ton of people on these boards who think the DLR is leaps and bounds better than WDW as it currently is.

I wouldn't worry about this so much.
    I'll see what I think in January.

• Senior Minion

I think if the real estate footprint was bigger for Disneyland, what we'd have now would be akin to what's happened at MK at WDW; shuttered buildings and empty spaces.

Walt did object to how so much commercial development he didn't control grew up around the berm, and threatened sight lines; which was why he went for such a large tract in Orlando. Of course, when the Swan and Dolphin were built, that all went out the window.

When you consider how close Disney and the company literally came to bankruptcy just getting the park open, it's amazing we have what we have now! Back in 1955, few thought it would even work!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Honestly? Not much as I think he would have run out of money.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Is it weird to say that I'm glad he made the mistake in regards to purchasing more land in Cali. if he had that ability? I mean, Would Disney World even exist had Walt Disney bought more land in California for Disneyland?

Because the way I see, it, Disney World is the result of the mistakes made during the construction of Disneyland and the lack of land purchased in Anaheim for the project..

• Oo-de-lally

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    A slap in the face? That's a tad much isn't it?

When Walt decided to build Disneyland, he was doing something that had never been done before. He had no idea how it was going to turn out... and neither did his investors.

Walt Disney borrowed, begged, and cashed in his own life insurance policy so he could buy/build Disneyland. It was only after Disneyland proved to be a huge success that he was able to have more money to buy up land, but by then all of the land in Anaheim was too pricey, so he had to look somewhere else to further develop his dreams. Besides, after the 1964 Worlds Fair in New York, he knew that the East Coast was ready for a themepark like Disneyland.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you really ought to do yourself a favor and read up on the history of Disneyland, Walt Disney World and Walt Disney. You'll have a much better understanding of why things have happened over the years the way they did.
    Couldn't of said it better myself. I have always been interested in Walt Disney and how he revolutionized cartoons, movies, theme parks, etc. I read Neal Gablers bio of Walt and it really gives the reader a lot of great info like what is mentioned in the quote above. I wish that we could have more then 2 parks here in California but I'm proud to say that we have the original and still the best Disney theme park ever.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Because the way I see, it, Disney World is the result of the mistakes made during the construction of Disneyland and the lack of land purchased in Anaheim for the project..
    Walt was involved with the initial purchase of the land in Florida and only very roughly as to what was to be put into it. The major development of WDW really didn't happen until after Walt's death.

So basically the entirety of WDW was built by individuals who were asking themselves, "What would Walt do?" This is a question that must not be forgotten as WDW continues to grow. And one that must be asked constantly at the DLR in order to preserve the legacy of the man that founded it.

Edit: Just so that I am clear, I do not mean that the "What would Walt do?" question needs to be answered literally. But it is a question that should be asked as a litmus test or at least a rough guide as to whether something should or should not be added or changed in either the DLR or WDW.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 09-20-2008 at 12:31 PM.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

You have to remembeer that Walt did buy more land... and that extra land was here... in Anaheim.

The original plan for Disneyland was that it was going to sit on an 8- acre sliver next to the Disney studios in Burbank. They than changed to Anaheim because they wanted more space.

Disney could buy up half or all of Anaheim, but they don't need to. Look at WDW. It has too much land and they are actually selling some of it.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast