Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• 11/7/08 Fantasmic Returns

Re: Former/Current Cast Members

When I worked at the club, we used to have a blast. From the latenight esspressos on the balcony, to sitting down with the entire crew to finish off a buffet after a private dinner, to even standing on the grill cleaning the kitchen hoods. every second was a blast.

To this day it was the funnest job I ever had. If I thought I could, i wuld go back and work there on the weekends in a heart beat.

My most fondest memory was when I got hired by the club manager himself, after casting had turned me down. He called them up on the phone in front of me, and told them they had made a mistake.
    ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 Mike View Post
    When I worked at the club, we used to have a blast. From the latenight esspressos on the balcony, to sitting down with the entire crew to finish off a buffet after a private dinner, to even standing on the grill cleaning the kitchen hoods. every second was a blast.

To this day it was the funnest job I ever had. If I thought I could, i wuld go back and work there on the weekends in a heart beat.

My most fondest memory was when I got hired by the club manager himself, after casting had turned me down. He called them up on the phone in front of me, and told them they had made a mistake.
    Sounds like great work, Mike. Is Club 33 considered one of the most coveted places to work inside the resort?
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

I was a CM in Entertainment for about 2 1/2 years and loved it about 88% of the time. Most of the time the guests were amazing and fun to interact with, but then there were always those few who could ruin your day in less than 10 minutes. I try to forget them. Bleh. As for my fellow CMs, again, a majority of the time, we had a BLAST. So much fun and so many hilarious memories. The drama I could have done without, but you get that at ANY job, so I can't really gripe too much about that.

Why do I post? I miss my job more than I thought I would when I left.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    without outing yourself? i don't get how that works. if someone posts on here about their experiences as a CM, we're all going to know they are/were a CM.

I hear a lot from CMs that DL currently is not the quality of employer it should be, and that there are a lot of bad experiences (different from "hard" or "not easy", but actually bad), BUT that working in the park with the guests is so fulfilling that it's worth all the bad points. I heard from a former Mickey character that she really missed her job (she had to leave due to medical reasons), and wouldn't trade her time as Mickey for the world.
    I apologize if my wording doesn't make sense. I've had no luck with postings on my first day of being a member. I'll edit my post.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by scotprincess View Post
    I love my job 90% of the time. I love getting to see different people from every walk of life. Right now I wouldn't want to work anywhere but Disneyland.
    Hugging YOU

• Lady & The Tramp

I worked for DL from December of 2005 to May of 2006. I was a "vacation planner" I sold tickets at the front and also worked at the annual pass center where I took pictures of people all day long. It was really hard for me to be behind closed doors at a place that I absolutely LOVE. It had its moments where I really didn't like it. I didn't working crazy hours. It was worth the drive/gas for the money I was making. I didn't like the point system...oh boy did that suck. I didn't like being on union, but working with the people was cool.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

I know its very misleading...but i am not a CM

i wish i was

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

Well, I've only been there now about a week (Five days of training - got signed off to work my attraction today!), but I absolutely love it and am looking forward to many many many many happy years as a CM.

-Frank

• Goofy

good luck ice devil. hope to see you around the park.

• Lady & The Tramp

Hope you have a better time then I did. To me the hours you have to work there was to CRAZY for me. It took away my LIFE!!

• The Voice of the Jungle

I had a fairly good run when I was a CM, unfortunately circumstances beyond our control (the suits) decided they'd want to change how things are being ran as far as Jungle Cruise was concerned, and other little bad rumors flying around, I felt the best thing for me to do was leave before things got even worse. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my job navigating through the rivers of adventure, but all the 'drama' caught up to me and unfortunately outweighed the good feeling I get each time I spiel.

As far as a GOOD experience goes, here's one that left just about everyone grabbing a tissue box after hearing it. The story starts off in the middle of my day, I'm coming back to the unload area after my break, ready to board my boat and pull up to the loading dock. There was this mother and her pre teen son sitting up front, still sitting there. Before I politely asked for them to leave, she insisted that they'd ride one more time because this is her son's favorite ride. I knew that it was a slow day, the lines were short, so why not let 'em on for one more ride? I pulled up to the loading dock, and started doing my spiel. As soon as I started to pull out of the loading dock, I knew this was going to be a rather lackluster bunch of people, they were unresponsive when I tried to warm up the crowd with the loading spiel stuff. Anyways, I shrug that off and continue onward with my spiel, and I glance over at this kid with a huge grin on his face, and so I just focused on spieling to him and his mom for the rest of the cruise while occasionally glancing back to the rest of the boat to see if they're still breathing, I know they sure as heck aren't laughing much. I forget which scene I was in, but he started bursting out laughing in the middle of one of my lines, and really threw me off my train of thought, but this was in a good way of course! I finish up my spiel, tell them they've been an outstanding crew, now I need them outstanding on the dock, get out! The mom and the son don't budge, they want on again?! "Ma'am, I hate to break it to you, the scenary doesn't change, and the jokes don't get any better." "I know" she replies, "But it's his favorite ride." "Ok, one more time around, and then you've gotta get going, and go see the rest of the park!" She nods. I pull back up to the loading dock again, and once again, another lackluster bunch of people. (I'm beginning to wonder what's wrong with these people, why aren't they laughing? Am I really that bad? Do I smell funny? Ok, I'll blame the jungle for my lack of showering, but what's going on?!) This time, I decide to change things up just for the two sitting up front, and more big grins from his face, and random bursts of laughter. I decide to let this kid help me steer out of the really dangerous and scary temple, and I've noticed his mom is helping him stand up and supporting his backside. Uh oh, maybe this isn't such a good idea after all? I take it easy on the throttle so we don't go too fast in there and help him with the wheel while getting really nervous about not hitting the pillars and avoiding the snakes. We finally managed to get out alive, thank goodness, thanks to my brave captain taking over when I was too chicken to do it myself. I pull up to the unload dock again, and I gave him a guest skippers liscense for helping me out, and he just kept on grinning really big. His mother thanks me for letting them on so many times, and says: "This is his absolute favorite ride, you have no idea. If he was able to speak, and able to reach your age, he'd probably be doing your job. You granted his big wish, how did you know he wanted to steer?" Before I started letting the waterworks get to me, I just reply "I'm a skipper ma'am. I know things "

• Lady & The Tramp

Sounds like you had a good time albino_pygmy. I ended up quitting and got my annual pass. Because to me Disneyland is way more fun when you don't work there. The outfits weren't the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Crickett View Post
    I'm wondering how many former cast members or even current cast members, post, reply, read, or have anything to do with these forums and why.
    I've read many many many complaints in being a cast member, what it was like back in "my" day as a cast member stories. I understand throughout years and work hours and all, how one can get jaded and bitter, but was there ever GOOD experiences?

Did any of you actually ENJOY doing the work of a cast member, or were you just (dull) looking for a job. Why be one if the experience isn't/wasn't a pleasant one?
    I'm sure you didn't take the job just to say you've done it, right? Or for bragging rights, right? So, any GOOD, fun, positive stories as a CM you have to share?
    WDW entertainment CM- currently seasonal while I'm home finishing school. Best job I've ever had, and have loved every second of it- even the long hours, plentiful drama, and not so hot pay. Planning on returning FT once I graduate, possibly on the west coast instead of back to Orlando. Keep in mind that those who are bitter about their job (or most likely, former job) will post their bad experiences more than someone who loves their job and has great experiences. So the scale seems a little unbalanced, when really there are many many more CMs who have fabulous experiences than those who hate their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    without outing yourself? i don't get how that works. if someone posts on here about their experiences as a CM, we're all going to know they are/were a CM.
    So? There's a million stories that i'd never post on a public place like this, but as long as CM's use discretion as to what they're posting, there's nothing wrong with other people knowing where they work....?

In fact what you said in the rest of your post was more of a 'do not post subject' that someone stating that they're a CM

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    I had a fairly good run when I was a CM, unfortunately circumstances beyond our control (the suits) decided they'd want to change how things are being ran as far as Jungle Cruise was concerned, and other little bad rumors flying around, I felt the best thing for me to do was leave before things got even worse. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my job navigating through the rivers of adventure, but all the 'drama' caught up to me and unfortunately outweighed the good feeling I get each time I spiel.

As far as a GOOD experience goes, here's one that left just about everyone grabbing a tissue box after hearing it. The story starts off in the middle of my day, I'm coming back to the unload area after my break, ready to board my boat and pull up to the loading dock. There was this mother and her pre teen son sitting up front, still sitting there. Before I politely asked for them to leave, she insisted that they'd ride one more time because this is her son's favorite ride. I knew that it was a slow day, the lines were short, so why not let 'em on for one more ride? I pulled up to the loading dock, and started doing my spiel. As soon as I started to pull out of the loading dock, I knew this was going to be a rather lackluster bunch of people, they were unresponsive when I tried to warm up the crowd with the loading spiel stuff. Anyways, I shrug that off and continue onward with my spiel, and I glance over at this kid with a huge grin on his face, and so I just focused on spieling to him and his mom for the rest of the cruise while occasionally glancing back to the rest of the boat to see if they're still breathing, I know they sure as heck aren't laughing much. I forget which scene I was in, but he started bursting out laughing in the middle of one of my lines, and really threw me off my train of thought, but this was in a good way of course! I finish up my spiel, tell them they've been an outstanding crew, now I need them outstanding on the dock, get out! The mom and the son don't budge, they want on again?! "Ma'am, I hate to break it to you, the scenary doesn't change, and the jokes don't get any better." "I know" she replies, "But it's his favorite ride." "Ok, one more time around, and then you've gotta get going, and go see the rest of the park!" She nods. I pull back up to the loading dock again, and once again, another lackluster bunch of people. (I'm beginning to wonder what's wrong with these people, why aren't they laughing? Am I really that bad? Do I smell funny? Ok, I'll blame the jungle for my lack of showering, but what's going on?!) This time, I decide to change things up just for the two sitting up front, and more big grins from his face, and random bursts of laughter. I decide to let this kid help me steer out of the really dangerous and scary temple, and I've noticed his mom is helping him stand up and supporting his backside. Uh oh, maybe this isn't such a good idea after all? I take it easy on the throttle so we don't go too fast in there and help him with the wheel while getting really nervous about not hitting the pillars and avoiding the snakes. We finally managed to get out alive, thank goodness, thanks to my brave captain taking over when I was too chicken to do it myself. I pull up to the unload dock again, and I gave him a guest skippers liscense for helping me out, and he just kept on grinning really big. His mother thanks me for letting them on so many times, and says: "This is his absolute favorite ride, you have no idea. If he was able to speak, and able to reach your age, he'd probably be doing your job. You granted his big wish, how did you know he wanted to steer?" Before I started letting the waterworks get to me, I just reply "I'm a skipper ma'am. I know things "
    Thanks for the awesome story! You did a great job

• =)

It's so good to hear from all these CMs who really enjoy the work, despite not-always-ideal conditions and pay and so forth. Very encouraging...makes me feel all the better about trying to get a job there. Thanks for posting, all! And keep 'em coming.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast