Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• The Voice of the Jungle

Re: Former/Current Cast Members

It's definately an unforgetable experience, but as many others have said or griped, yes the hours were really long, and yes we were paid weekly, very very weakly (yes I've used that line several times on my boats, and ment it) and yes, the guests could be unbearable at times (I have some of those stories too if you'd like to hear them) BUT (ok, this is gonna sound pretty cheesy and sappy) all that goes away the moment you become part of the 'magic' and watch it happen to the other guests. You can see them just light up and you get that warm and fuzzy feeling inside. I originally didn't want to work for Disney, but somehow I got the job and I'm glad that the Jungle was a great fit for me. I 'could' get away with not being the what I'd like to call "eerily creepy" Disney look with the fake wide grin and 'happy' tone in your voice as you grit your teeth. There's no way I could do that 24/7, and Jungle was a way for me to be fun and playful without being fake nice, and the great part was "I'm still in character!" If I would have been anywhere else in the parks, I'd probably be posting something different in this thread.

• "I Break Things"

As I duck for cover I will say, being a CM was fun... but being a Skipper meant everything to me.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Oh, I love this. This is great, and wonderful fun. I am soo very very very happy to hear from ALL of you. I hope this keeps up. This really makes up for the fear I have attempting to talk to cast members while actually AT the parks. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

• The Voice of the Jungle

I'm sure the CM's don't say much to you is because they're on the clock and focused on working, rather than talking about work. Off the clock is a different story, and depends on the CM if they'd like to share any stories.

• Keep Moving Forward

I'm currently a seasonal cast member (which means at the moment I'm not actually working) and spent my entire summer working at Splash Mountain. I must say it was one of the best experiences I ever had, and I really wish that I could work in the park year-round.

As many have already said, yes, the job does have its ups and downs, and there have been days when I was incredibly dissatisfied with working there. But what job doesn't have any downside? And the positives of being a cast member are so high up that, in my mind, they negate all the downsides. Usually, I had such a great time that it seemed hard to believe I was actually getting paid for what I was doing there.

So yes, being a cast member is a wonderful job to have, but you really have to love Disneyland and love making magic. Otherwise, it's just another job. And quite frankly, I'd rather not see the magic diminished by a half-hearted cast member who's not terribly fond of Disneyland to begin with (not saying anyone here is like that, of course ).

I worked there in 1993 and it was amazing. To get to work at a place that I absolutely love was awesome. I worked the Space Place restaurant. That was the last year for that place. when it closed I did Fantasmic crowd control. I worked there for a couple of holiday seasons, but that was it. I would love to do it again.

Again, being part of the magic was a great feeling.
    When hinges creek in doorless chambers, and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, Whenever candlelights flicker, where the air is deathly still, That is the time when ghosts are present practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion!

• Minion

Worked at the park from '83 to '94 and loved it.
    Started in Tomorrowland (Autopia/Magic Journeys/Inner Space/Sings/Space), went to Main St./Parking Lot (PLot/Main St. Vehicles/ Steam Trains), and then on to Fantasyland (Small World/Matterhorn/Pan/Toad/Carousel/Snow/Pinocchio/Casey/
    Motorboats/Skyway).
    It was a great experience.
    Autopia, Steam Trains, Tram driving the old lot, and Small World will remain my favorite shifts. Space, Rotations, and Matterhorn were cool, but with dispatch times that kept you a little on edge, it could be challenging at times, esp. Space and the Fantasyland Rotations.
    Overall it was an amazing experience, and having it on my resume is something I will always treasure. I have no gripes about it whatsoever.

I was a CM for 5 years, and it was one of the best times of my life. If they'd have me, I'd do it in a minute. I wasn't into the political hierarchy, and that's where most complaints come from. I went for the guests and to perpetuate Walt's show. I miss it terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Crickett View Post
    Oh, I love this. This is great, and wonderful fun. I am soo very very very happy to hear from ALL of you. I hope this keeps up. This really makes up for the fear I have attempting to talk to cast members while actually AT the parks. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    I work and ODV and if we are really slow and there is no one at our carts we love when people talk to us because it passes the time, well at least I do!

• Minion

I've worked at DCA/DL for almost 8 years now, as my second job. I admit that there have been a few times when I left work mad as H-E-double toothpicks, but obviously it couldn't have been that bad, since I'm still there. There have also been times where I laughed myself silly on the way home, thinking about something that had happened. I really enjoy many aspects of working for Disney and look forward to several more years there.
    I want my cake back!

• okeydokey

I was working Tomorrowland attaractions and loved working for Disney with all my heart. I think about returning all of the time.
    The schedule really beat me up, but I wouldn't give up those latelate nights and buttcrack of dawn mornings with some of the best friends I ever had for anything. The pay was meager, but mostly beside the point.
    Behind the scenes stuff made for slightly sticky situations, but the actual work is the highlight of my resume.
    Yay, betrothal!

• A Weather Eye Open

would many CMs here agree that the crazy schedules they give you nowadays are hard to reconcile with say, a college student's class schedule? I go to a school where there's almost no way you can skip class if you get scheduled to work that day because they place such a high importance on attendance. Plus you'd have to rework your whole work schedule for every new semester, right? I've heard of a lot of students having MAJOR scheduling trouble when working at DL, enough to where it comees down to failing classes or being let go by the park. Does this problem vary from job to job (eg performing vs. attractions vs. food service)?
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Banned User

TO ALL OF YOU. This is wonderful!!! Thank you so very much for taking the time. It has shed new light into how I see cast members now.
    I really appreciate all the work you have done, you did, you are doing.
    I'm not sure if you were ever clapped for. But I'm clapping for you now. A lot of guests from what I understand enjoy talking with you guys, whether it be asking a question and then getting into idle chit chat, or actually wanting to talk with a CM just to hear what they have to say. I've never spoken to a CM, I heard that they don't like Pass Holders, so I tend to shy away from them. But I like hearing what you have been saying, and what has been shared on this post my bring me fresh courage on wednesday to actually speak to a CM.

Thank You All!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    would many CMs here agree that the crazy schedules they give you nowadays are hard to reconcile with say, a college student's class schedule? I go to a school where there's almost no way you can skip class if you get scheduled to work that day because they place such a high importance on attendance. Plus you'd have to rework your whole work schedule for every new semester, right? I've heard of a lot of students having MAJOR scheduling trouble when working at DL, enough to where it comees down to failing classes or being let go by the park. Does this problem vary from job to job (eg performing vs. attractions vs. food service)?
    That's too bad if things have gone that way at the park.
    When I worked there, it was pretty easy to get a schedule that worked around your school hours. I worked weekends, Friday nights, and occasional weekday or evening shifts (short shifts) around my school schedule. You didn't have to work during the week though, and Friday nights, Sat. and Sun. created no problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    they have people that only work saturdays and sundays so they will work around your schedule.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast