Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• okeydokey

Re: Former/Current Cast Members

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    would many CMs here agree that the crazy schedules they give you nowadays are hard to reconcile with say, a college student's class schedule? I go to a school where there's almost no way you can skip class if you get scheduled to work that day because they place such a high importance on attendance. Plus you'd have to rework your whole work schedule for every new semester, right? I've heard of a lot of students having MAJOR scheduling trouble when working at DL, enough to where it comees down to failing classes or being let go by the park. Does this problem vary from job to job (eg performing vs. attractions vs. food service)?
    It was really hard for me at least. My school runs on the quarter system, so every three months was a new fiasco. That and I'm majoring in costume design, so it's not like I could bring my homework with me. The school is really strict on attendance (one-day-a-week classes), so it was the main priority.
    Ultimately, it became the reason why I had to leave.
    Yay, betrothal!

I love it.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

All the "I WORKED LONG HOURS" stuff is definitely something I'm not dealing with and I sure wish I was. I keep getting 8 hour weeks and it's killing me. There's even a list of people who want to take shifts! It's getting terribly hard.

I'd say that is one of the biggest problems I have with the place currently. I absolutely love my job, most guests, and all the people I work with.

I think I'm a weird breed of attractions cast member. I get pretty bad anxiety about hurting guests or making mistakes but I get past it. I may transfer because of it, but I'm definitely staying with the company, hopefully, forever.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• The Voice of the Jungle

Just wondering, what was your longest shift you ever had? I had a couple 12 - 14 hour shifts before, and one time I had two 15 hour shifts back to back. That's too much Jungle, even for me

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ashley solo View Post
    All the "I WORKED LONG HOURS" stuff is definitely something I'm not dealing with and I sure wish I was. I keep getting 8 hour weeks and it's killing me. There's even a list of people who want to take shifts! It's getting terribly hard.

I'd say that is one of the biggest problems I have with the place currently. I absolutely love my job, most guests, and all the people I work with.

I think I'm a weird breed of attractions cast member. I get pretty bad anxiety about hurting guests or making mistakes but I get past it. I may transfer because of it, but I'm definitely staying with the company, hopefully, forever.
    The longest amount of hours I have ever worked (and I'm not a CM, nor have I ever been, but would like to be) 21 hours in ONE day.

Ashley: Off Topic: But just a quick question. Are you a fan of "The Office"?
    I can't tell if that is Krasinski as your avatar, but it looks like one of our sets on stage.

HELLO ALL!!! I will be at the parks tomorrow if anyone wants to say "hello" why I can't add a smiley to this (waving hi) I don't know, but this is me... waving "hello" to all you posters that have kept this topic up in such an, enjoyable to read, manner.
    Last edited by Jiminy Crickett; 09-23-2008 at 06:28 AM. Reason: wanted to add a smiley... but couldn't

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    I love it.
    I second that. Me too. I love it. Keep em coming. As "data" once said... uh.. several pages back I think, I don't know where his encouraging post ended up on this thread, but its here somewhere.

"Keep em coming"

Last week I worked an 8 hour shift then had 7 hours in between and then worked another 8 hour shift. I was exhausted after that.

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

how long can a "long" shift be? Is it more than 8 hours? I mean I hear the pay isn't that great but if you're working so many hours, doesn't it eventually add up? also, what exactly is the point system? and I read on another post something about not "dating" Disney?? You mean you're not supposed to date within the cast? I'm sorry, I'm just trying to learn all I can, because when I move to Southern California next fall, I'm going to work there. I eventually want to get into entertainment, which is probably different than attractions and so forth, but I still want all the info I can get! By the way, this thread is really cool and I love hearing all your stories! Perhaps someday I can share some great CM experiences!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    Just wondering, what was your longest shift you ever had? I had a couple 12 - 14 hour shifts before, and one time I had two 15 hour shifts back to back. That's too much Jungle, even for me
    The longest shift I had was a 17 hour shift. I closed Astro one night and they offered overtime for Grad Night. For one week, seven days, I had 7 straight days of 12 hour shifts, 6 days on Astro. YIKES!! I am NEVER going to do that AGAIN!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    The longest shift I had was a 17 hour shift. I closed Astro one night and they offered overtime for Grad Night. For one week, seven days, I had 7 straight days of 12 hour shifts, 6 days on Astro. YIKES!! I am NEVER going to do that AGAIN!!
    THERE YOU ARE DAN!!!! We've been waiting for you. Ever since I began this post I've been asked, "have you heard from Dan yet?" "how bout now?" "have you heard from tasmic, he used to be a CM."

What took you so long?!

• N/A

Current CM in attractions in DL. I started a few months ago. Love the job. Love the people I work with. The leads and managers have all been great. Haven't had any problem with points because right now it is very easy with the lack of hours to simply trade with people for days off, etc. Actually I wish I were scheduled for a whole lot more hours.

Longest day I've worked was 8 hours. Longest week was somewhere in the mid 30 hour range. During training there was one 8 hour turnaround and that was probably the hardest. Any other hard day of being tired was all my own fault for staying up too late, which I do sometimes.

Every once and a while the five days I've worked one week have lined up with the five days from the previous schedule resulting in ten working days in a row, but that's been fairly rare. So far if my days off haven't worked out I've simply switched with someone. I'm sure push will come to shove at some point because I keep hearing stories about having to call in sick and take the points but I haven't experienced it yet.

It does hurt to look at the schedule week after week this month and only be scheduled to work 8 hours. I just think that this summer and fall have turned all the past few years of hiring practices on its head. Fully staffed (over staffed, maybe?) and the turnover has slowed significantly. So there just aren't that many hours to go around this off-season.

The guest experiences have been overwhelmingly wonderful. There are a few who may simply not have understood where the correct viewing areas are versus the walkways. And those who didn't realize the parade or fireworks schedule and were unable to plan ahead. But those people are definitely in the minority and most just need a little assistance to make their experience at the park work for them.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

^^^ Good to hear that you're enjoying yourself, but sorry to hear about the lack of hours. I hope that picks up for you soon.

And... Welcome to Micechat!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• 11/7/08 Fantasmic Returns

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Sounds like great work, Mike. Is Club 33 considered one of the most coveted places to work inside the resort?
    At the time it was. We used to trade all kinds of stuff with other CM's just so they could get a tour of the place. We went up to the top of Matterhorn, had free reign of Pirates after hours because the security guard knew us, got to tour other backstage areas etc.

The server positions were the coveted jobs, but seniority pretty much made it impossible to get in. At the time there were 3 servers there with over 20 years on the job. I made it up to the top 5 bus boys, and was doing training towards the end of my time there.
    ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    The longest shift I've ever had was 8 hours, the longest week about 30 hours. All the shifts I get now are 4 hours, two days a week or so coming to about 8 hours a week.

I don't know if other departments are having these troubles, but I hope somewhere has open hours, and in two months wants to invite me in.

I really do love my job, I'm just always financially stressed, but the time when I'm out there, seeing excited kids and happy families... it just makes everything worth it.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 24601 View Post
    During training there was one 8 hour turnaround and that was probably the hardest. Any other hard day of being tired was all my own fault for staying up too late, which I do sometimes.
    I hated those 8 hour turnarounds. Off at closing and return 8 hours later to open. So not fun!! End of getting 5 - 6 hours of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Crickett View Post
    THERE YOU ARE DAN!!!! We've been waiting for you. Ever since I began this post I've been asked, "have you heard from Dan yet?" "how bout now?" "have you heard from tasmic, he used to be a CM."

What took you so long?!
    LOL, Trying to fish me out, ehh?? I was waiting for something to pull me in. I guess you found it, I LOVED being a CM. It was the greatest joy that I can ever experienced. Worked with great people and interacting with awesome guests!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast