Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Now Playing....

Re: Former/Current Cast Members

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    I had a fairly good run when I was a CM, unfortunately circumstances beyond our control (the suits) decided they'd want to change how things are being ran as far as Jungle Cruise was concerned, and other little bad rumors flying around, I felt the best thing for me to do was leave before things got even worse. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my job navigating through the rivers of adventure, but all the 'drama' caught up to me and unfortunately outweighed the good feeling I get each time I spiel.

As far as a GOOD experience goes, here's one that left just about everyone grabbing a tissue box after hearing it. The story starts off in the middle of my day, I'm coming back to the unload area after my break, ready to board my boat and pull up to the loading dock. There was this mother and her pre teen son sitting up front, still sitting there. Before I politely asked for them to leave, she insisted that they'd ride one more time because this is her son's favorite ride. I knew that it was a slow day, the lines were short, so why not let 'em on for one more ride? I pulled up to the loading dock, and started doing my spiel. As soon as I started to pull out of the loading dock, I knew this was going to be a rather lackluster bunch of people, they were unresponsive when I tried to warm up the crowd with the loading spiel stuff. Anyways, I shrug that off and continue onward with my spiel, and I glance over at this kid with a huge grin on his face, and so I just focused on spieling to him and his mom for the rest of the cruise while occasionally glancing back to the rest of the boat to see if they're still breathing, I know they sure as heck aren't laughing much. I forget which scene I was in, but he started bursting out laughing in the middle of one of my lines, and really threw me off my train of thought, but this was in a good way of course! I finish up my spiel, tell them they've been an outstanding crew, now I need them outstanding on the dock, get out! The mom and the son don't budge, they want on again?! "Ma'am, I hate to break it to you, the scenary doesn't change, and the jokes don't get any better." "I know" she replies, "But it's his favorite ride." "Ok, one more time around, and then you've gotta get going, and go see the rest of the park!" She nods. I pull back up to the loading dock again, and once again, another lackluster bunch of people. (I'm beginning to wonder what's wrong with these people, why aren't they laughing? Am I really that bad? Do I smell funny? Ok, I'll blame the jungle for my lack of showering, but what's going on?!) This time, I decide to change things up just for the two sitting up front, and more big grins from his face, and random bursts of laughter. I decide to let this kid help me steer out of the really dangerous and scary temple, and I've noticed his mom is helping him stand up and supporting his backside. Uh oh, maybe this isn't such a good idea after all? I take it easy on the throttle so we don't go too fast in there and help him with the wheel while getting really nervous about not hitting the pillars and avoiding the snakes. We finally managed to get out alive, thank goodness, thanks to my brave captain taking over when I was too chicken to do it myself. I pull up to the unload dock again, and I gave him a guest skippers liscense for helping me out, and he just kept on grinning really big. His mother thanks me for letting them on so many times, and says: "This is his absolute favorite ride, you have no idea. If he was able to speak, and able to reach your age, he'd probably be doing your job. You granted his big wish, how did you know he wanted to steer?" Before I started letting the waterworks get to me, I just reply "I'm a skipper ma'am. I know things "
    Wow! This is why working in the park for nearly 10 years, that the Magic is bigger and brighter for me than the day I started!

• Showus your Larboard side

I am a Plumber and a damn good one too. I would move up to the OC in a heartbeat to be a plumber at Disneyland. Guess I'll just have to live my dreams through my son, he's a third shifter. He loves it. He says a lot of CM's working third shift kinda have a negative attitude, but I don't think that is any new revelation. He does get his 8 hours every day though.

Mike
    Yep you guessed it, Lakeside

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by One_Rev View Post
    I am a Plumber and a damn good one too. I would move up to the OC in a heartbeat to be a plumber at Disneyland. Guess I'll just have to live my dreams through my son, he's a third shifter. He loves it. He says a lot of CM's working third shift kinda have a negative attitude, but I don't think that is any new revelation. He does get his 8 hours every day though.

Mike
    Yep you guessed it, Lakeside
    What a great response. I love your outlook. Thanks for joining in on this topic.

• ...lurks...

Plenty of good stories, but to make a quick post faster. It was all about making people, especially kids smile or even happy.

I would try to interact with the kids especially, to help them feel as if it were their day...that was my reward...Disney only provided the path to that, nothing more. I certainly didn't stay for those many years because of the pay, or any other reason.

Just wondering, what was your longest shift you ever had? I had a couple 12 - 14 hour shifts before, and one time I had two 15 hour shifts back to back. That's too much Jungle, even for me
    I had a sixteen hour shift one day because I worked the marathon in the morning and then regular stuff that afternoon/night. A few 14-15 hour shifts, and one 14 hour with no lunch- that was fun. Hours can be crazy- in our department around the holidays it's not uncommon to have 55,60,even 70 hours a week. The warm up room in the tunnel sees many CMs sleeping there!

Quote Originally Posted by princedalton View Post
    how long can a "long" shift be? Is it more than 8 hours? I mean I hear the pay isn't that great but if you're working so many hours, doesn't it eventually add up? also, what exactly is the point system? and I read on another post something about not "dating" Disney?? You mean you're not supposed to date within the cast? I'm sorry, I'm just trying to learn all I can, because when I move to Southern California next fall, I'm going to work there. I eventually want to get into entertainment, which is probably different than attractions and so forth, but I still want all the info I can get! By the way, this thread is really cool and I love hearing all your stories! Perhaps someday I can share some great CM experiences!
    Check out the first part of my post- I don't know about other departments and hours and what not, but I work in entertainment so that will give you an idea. And as to don't date Disney, it's not a company rule or anything, but it is very good advice. I wish I would have followed it.... (come to think of it, if I had, I wouldn't have had the aforementioned 14 hr. day with no lunch!)

Did any of you actually ENJOY doing the work of a cast member, or were you just (dull) looking for a job. Why be one if the experience isn't/wasn't a pleasant one?
    ==============================

I believe the only reason why you see more "negative" comments as opposed to "happy" comments is simply due to our culture and our inherit interest into going against the status quo.

Negativity is something not associated with Disney. So when we hear or read that something went wrong at the parks we are automatically inclined to listen.

I can pretty much tell you any cm that posts on these types of boards has had an overall good experience with working here. There would be no other reason for them to even read these messages if not for an deeply entrenched (sometimes REALLY deep) love for this park. Which is something that no level of drama can kill entirely.

Yes, I still enjoy my job after my measly 4 years of service. Sure there are days I am LAZY to go to work. But I have never found myself in the car hating the idea of going to my shift.

And no, I am not one of those hardcore dream squad people with possible botox injections to make me permanently smile. I am a lead in my area that deals with problems (usually many) on a daily basis. But my job is to make the working environment fun for the cast. Because the cast members are the ones really dealing with Guests. If they are having a good time then the Guests will see that.

I have accepted my role as not just a "magic maker" but I promote the "magic making" environment, so that good attitudes are easy to manifest. My satisfaction is not actually making the magic, but making it easy for cast members to make magic for the Guests.

Probably doesn't answer your question but I felt like rambling.

• DLR Cast Member

When I started to work at the DLR, I did it because I needed a job. Now, I do it cause I can't imagine NOT working there. No, I haven't worked for Disney for that many years (almost 2 now!), but there is one thing that makes every day there special. If I don't come home and tell my hubby that I "made magic" that day, he knows it was not a good day at work... but when I make magic, nothing in the world is a better feeling.

Some days, I answer phones in the Guest Services Building. Actually, most days. But even on the phone, I get to make magic. A couple days ago, I was working, and got a call from a female military member. Seems she and her family drove down from Utah, having purchased tickets from their military post. And promptly forgot them at home. Knowing money is tight for military(since I was one at one point in my life), I asked my lead if we could make some magic and at least sell them some discounted tickets for their 2 day visit to the park. She told me to ask the guest to come to the building and ask for her. When I got back to the phone to speak with the guest, and told her what my lead said, the lady started to cry.

When the lady and her family came to the building, my lead had them purchase ONE DAY park hoppers at the cast price, and gave them complimentary tickets for their 2nd day. And then gave them the address to mail in the tickets they had purchased back to Disney for a refund once they got home.

We know that while Disney would lose some money on their admission, that the "magic" would last for a long time...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pattimelt View Post
    When I started to work at the DLR, I did it because I needed a job. Now, I do it cause I can't imagine NOT working there. No, I haven't worked for Disney for that many years (almost 2 now!), but there is one thing that makes every day there special. If I don't come home and tell my hubby that I "made magic" that day, he knows it was not a good day at work... but when I make magic, nothing in the world is a better feeling.

Some days, I answer phones in the Guest Services Building. Actually, most days. But even on the phone, I get to make magic. A couple days ago, I was working, and got a call from a female military member. Seems she and her family drove down from Utah, having purchased tickets from their military post. And promptly forgot them at home. Knowing money is tight for military(since I was one at one point in my life), I asked my lead if we could make some magic and at least sell them some discounted tickets for their 2 day visit to the park. She told me to ask the guest to come to the building and ask for her. When I got back to the phone to speak with the guest, and told her what my lead said, the lady started to cry.

When the lady and her family came to the building, my lead had them purchase ONE DAY park hoppers at the cast price, and gave them complimentary tickets for their 2nd day. And then gave them the address to mail in the tickets they had purchased back to Disney for a refund once they got home.

We know that while Disney would lose some money on their admission, that the "magic" would last for a long time...
    THATS WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR Thank you for your post!

• Former Cast Member

I am a former cast member, who first started at the park in 1977-1979, then again 1980-1982. I worked the Riverbelle Terrace, Stagedoor Cafe, French Market, Blue Bayou and Cafe Orleans, NOMK. I was truly happy to have been a cast member and look fondly at those days I worked in the park and for the Disney company. Although I worked in foods, it was a fun experience, it was the fellow cast members that made it fun and I miss that the most. But we contributed to the happiness being spread to the guests who frequented the park. I miss the canoo races, going out to breakfast right after, the soft ball leagues (back then tons of teams), the Great Goofy pursuit, the Banana Ball, etc.... I came back to the park again in 2000 and worked at the PLaza Inn for almost another 2 years while holding down a full time job and working almost 80 hours a week between the two jobs. I could definitely see the change in the cast members since my first time at the park, but overall I still had a great time and the days, working for Disney, will always live in my memory.

Okay, a little offtopic, great stories btw, I love this thread =D.

1) Would increasing pay wages encourage more of this making the magic for CM's?

2) Besides the horrid clock-in system do you experience anything else that would detract from working as a CM?

• The Voice of the Jungle

1) It wouldn't hurt, and it'd probably encourage them to be even more outgoing if Disney took better care of their CMs. Don't get me wrong, Disney does have some rare occasions where they show their CM's some love with stale potato chips and frostbitten frozen lemonade, but instead of getting snacks before they toss them, I'd like to be able to pay my bills without literally living in the Jungle just to barely make ends meet.

2) For me, it was the management and the higher ups that do it for me, how they sit in their cozy offices calling the shots without paying us a visit before they make some changes that will change the way how an area of the park is ran. I felt very embarassed when we were forced to take one of those surveys where we rate our managers, and each and every CM has one manager they turn to, right? I didn't know that, in fact, I still don't know who my manager was, so it felt like a complete waste of time taking 20 minutes filling out a survey on how well we thought they do their job without ever meeting them. And then, to top it all off, there was no additional comments at the end of this survey. In fact, there wasn't any 'fill in the blank's ever, just only "on a scale from 1 - 5" bubbles, which tells me that they're not going to even pay attention to these things if they don't want our opinions, unless it's numbered response of course.

I felt very embarassed when we were forced to take one of those surveys where we rate our managers, and each and every CM has one manager they turn to, right? I didn't know that, in fact, I still don't know who my manager was, so it felt like a complete waste of time
    When I was FT, I couldn't name a single manager in my department. Now, every time I go back to work I see new managers I've never seen in my life. (Granted, working across all four parks (WDW) means 4xs the managers, and not so much consistency, but still.... it's really sad.

• Banned User

I love this. This is so tiggeriffic. Thank you all for your postings. Don't be shy, keep em coming. Waking in the am to doing a little work, having a muffin drinking coffee, coco or tea, depending on my mood, sitting back and reading these is really nice. I know this topic will fade out at some point so I just wanted to take the time and thank you all.

OP-JC

If I was a character, or cm, (I guess that's both really right.) I'd give ya'll a hug!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345