Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• =)

Re: Why was Disneyland called the dark years between 1966-1984?

Eisner was in some ways a very good thing for the company for a while, 17goingon3. He wasn't all evil, despite what you may hear.

• Curiouser

I see. I don't know much about the situation, this all happened when I was really young XD

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, Roy had some doing in bringing BOTH Wells and Eisner to Disney in 84. And about 1983, Disney was being looked at being bought out at that time. So that was a very uneasy time for Disney.

There were several different family movies Disney developed until about 1976, and then only an occassional animated feature was done, from 1976 to 1985. So saying it began in 1966 is really off base.

I didn't mention before, Wonderful World of Disney was still on and had new shows through the 70's.

• Infinitized!

I believe the dark years, aka the dark ages was when the Black Knight ruled Fantasyland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=2eMkth8FWno

Actually, I have no idea. I think just prior to 84 there was a slow period with new attractions, the biggest being the additions of Thunder Mountain in 1979 and Space Mountain in 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Well, Roy had some doing in bringing BOTH Wells and Eisner to Disney in 84. And about 1983, Disney was being looked at being bought out at that time. So that was a very uneasy time for Disney.

There were several different family movies Disney developed until about 1976, and then only an occassional animated feature was done, from 1976 to 1985. So saying it began in 1966 is really off base.

I didn't mention before, Wonderful World of Disney was still on and had new shows through the 70's.
    While your statements are true, 1966 is when the dark period started(al biet December '66, still '66 none the less). After Walt's death, Disney went through an identity crisis, unsure who would or how they would follow the footsteps of Walt.
    Out shadowed by the creative icon they once turned to for everything, the company employees continually held themselves back with the 'What would Walt think' question that plagued the company creativly, and in turn financially. Ron Miller was, for lack of a better word, scared to further progress of projects as he didn't want to ruin the Disney name Walt had built. Attandance was kept at a passable level throught the 70's with HM and POTC, but were decreasing consistently into the 80's, less the year EPCOT opened, but attendance went right back down the following year. Once Eisner and Wells were brought into the picture, more ideas got green lit, more parks, more hotels, more movies, shows, etc, creative collaberations with Lucas, MGM and the like all added fuel to relight the Disney fire to turn it into the empire it is now. It is acurate to say it was '66 the year the sun went down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12