Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Unhelpful User

Sad Why was Disneyland called the dark years between 1966-1984?

anyone................

• Unhelpful User

Re: Why was Disneyland called the dark years between 1966-1984?

Correction I meant "the Dark Period"

• A Weather Eye Open

they may have meant in terms of disney movies, instead of disneyland, because the two periods of disney "renaissance" are generally considered to be the 50s-early60s and the early 90s.
    i've never heard anything about a dark period for those years in terms of disneyland, because it seems to me that it was quite the place to be throughout the 60s and 70s, especially.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I've never heard that term before. Where and from whom did you hear the term?

• Resident Daydreamer

the dark period, eh? that's a first for me
    Your Life is an occasion, so rise up to it.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

You all have never heard of it because...well...because we never speak of it. I demand this thread be closed

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

It's the year of Walt's death up to Disney almost being taken over by Saul Steinberg and Michael Milken. That's mainly why Michael Eisner and Frank Wells were hired so quickly. After those two where put in office, Disney saw a lot more profits(with the creation of shows like The Golden Girls, and how inexpensive Disney purchased the rights for MGM's entire film bank, among other successfull ventures), that brought Disney back to the top. To put it into perspective, Disney earned $135 million in 1980, and $824 million in 1990. If thats not night and day then Mickey ain't a mouse.

Look up 'The Disney Touch: How a Daring Management Team Revived an Entertainment Empire' by Ron Grover.

From the back cover:

'In 1984, Walt Disney Productions was a sick company. Lackluster attendance at its theme parks and a string of box office disasters had taken their toll on corporate earnings, slashing them to $98 million from $135 million only four years earlier. By 1985, a year after the arrival of Michael Eisner and Frank Wells, Disney's revival was well under way as every area of the company's performance began to show dramatic improvement.'

Check it out. It's a pretty good book.
    Last edited by dizzneeland; 09-23-2008 at 12:03 AM.

• Shubisha

I'm with 2blue. The large tomorrowland renovations opened, pirates of the caribbean, haunted mansion, space mountain, electrical parade, the bicentennial, tons of stuff happened in that period. Moviewise I could see it even though I like a lot of the movies that came out then and in the 80s.

• Resident Daydreamer

Quote Originally Posted by dizzneeland View Post
    It's the year of Walt's death up to Disney almost being taken over by Saul Steinberg and Michael Milken. That's mainly why Michael Eisner and Frank Wells were hired so quickly. After those two where put in office, Disney saw a lot more profits(with the creation of shows like The Golden Girls, and how inexpensive Disney purchased the rights for MGM's entire film bank, among other successfull ventures), that brought Disney back to the top. To put it into perspective, Disney earned $135 million in 1980, and $824 million in 1990. If thats not night and day then Mickey ain't a mouse.
    Yes, but I've never heard this era referred to as the dark period before. Interesting.
    Your Life is an occasion, so rise up to it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

There were many things Walt already had several other working on when he passed away, Jungle Book opened in 1967 and was a great success. followed by Arstocats. I think the quality started going down, with Robin Hood, Rescuers, Fox and the Hound. Looking at a list of live feature movies from Disney, There are hardly any from 1976 through to 1984.

And as Almandot said, Pirates and Haunted Mansion opened, etc, America Sings, too. And Roy got WDW up and running during the immediate years after Walt passed away. It was definitely a growing period. And just prior to Eisner and Wells coming to Disney, Disneyland Japan opened (1983).

So, yeah, they park were doing relatively well, but the movies started going downhill in the mid 1970's.

I think the OP is referring to this article at Blue Sky. It specifically mentions the "Dark Period, 1966-1984". And it's all about films, not Disneyland.

EPCOT took a huge chunk out of Disney. They had budgeted $600 million and eventually ended up spending $1.2 billion, forcing Disney to scale back on much needed work at the other two parks. Add the gas prices rising in the 70s(Not by our standards, but rising none the less), the economic slow down in the 80's, and the oil embargo in Florida and a decline in park guest will be noticable.

Also, compare 1955 - 66 attraction productivity to 1966 - 84. 55-66 has more influential rides then the latter, in a time frame 9 yrs shorter. HM and PoTC were in production while Walt was still alive, so I don't think they'd be "official" dark period rides, but thats debatable.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I don't know that I've heard that term or phrasing before, but just off the cuff, I'd imagine it to be because 1966 was when Walt Disney died and 1984 was when Michael Eisner took over from Ron Miller (Walt's son-in-law). I went to Disneyland many many times in that time period (beginning in the early 70's) and, well, it seemed great to me.....so this 'dark period' is new to me.........and from the sound of it, new to others too.

• Closed Account

I've never heard that before. "Dark period" going back to 1966? I don't think so...

• Curiouser

Didn't Michael Eisner kind of save the day when this happened? Or am I thinking of a different instance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast