Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

would disneyland still be popular if it was built in downtown la?

would disneyland be called the happiest place on earth if it was built in the ghetto portions of la?

• Banned User

Re: would disneyland still be popular if it was built in downtown la?

I'm gonna go with a NO on this one. I work downtown OFTEN and it is no place for a theme park of any kind. Yes, the space is there and could be put to good use, but almost all the atmosphere would have to change in order for it to work. People, businesses, shops, streets, EVERYTHING practically. Its hard down there for a lot of reasons. I don't work in a comfortable office so I know A LOT about the temperments and land structure around there. I don't think it could work, without an incredibly large amount of work.

Seeing skyscrapers from the Jungle Cruise just wouldn't work for me.

• Imagineer in training

Taking this from a different angle.... what would Disneyland be like had Florida, Toyko, Paris and Hong Kong never been built?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboi92 View Post
    would disneyland be called the happiest place on earth if it was built in the ghetto portions of la?
    Well, as it is, the Disneyland Resort sits in the middle of one of the ghetto portions of Orange County.

Seriously though this is a good question and one I never thought of in the 40 years I've lived in LA and OC.

I do know that the 30+ story Universal Sheraton looming over Universal Studios is an imposing site that would be very imposing if something similar was looming over Disneyland.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 09-23-2008 at 08:50 PM.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Could you just imagine the smog. GROSS. Also I don't consider Anaheim to be very ghetto, especially the areas around Disneyland. Yes there are some nearby areas that are not so nice but what town doesn't have that?

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

You guys have to remember that when Disneyland was planned and began construction LA barely existed. Walt sat down with the community leaders in Anaheim and laid it down that if they wanted this park and the revenue it would bring to the city they could not allow anyone to build a sky scraper or any thing else that would be visible from inside disneyland, they also began an immediate expansion of the plans for the 5 and the 405 freeways. I would have to assume that the same type of thing would be required if it had been built in "downtown" la which would have moved things around and another area would hold the sky scrapers that are there now. So in essence yes disneyland would be succesful and the same place, or relatively similar to what it is today.

• we jumped out a window

If I'm not mistaken, DLR was originally intended to be in Burbank, right next to Disney Studios. That would've been nice as it would only be a few minutes drive up the 5 for me and I'd be there weekly!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Samjon4123 View Post
    You guys have to remember that when Disneyland was planned and began construction LA barely existed.
    Barely existed?! Maybe you're thinking of the 1750's.

Here's how Anaheim was selected, over say next door to the Dodgers in Chavez Ravine:

SRI Assists in Creating Disneyland

In the early 1950's the Disney brothers were planning a small playland site in Burbank, California and came to SRI for advice on such topics as location, attendance patterns, and economic feasibility. SRI selected a much larger Anaheim site for the amusement park and prepared reports on many facets of its operation.

Immediately preceding and during Disneyland's opening in July 1955, SRI staff also provided on-site administrative support. Advisory work continued for some time as the park expanded.

SRI's role in bringing Disneyland into being was widely reported in newspaper and magazine articles.
    SRI Technology: SRI Assists in Creating Disneyland
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

my Doyers next to DL? Now that is what I call heaven. LOL. But DL in downtown LA? Yikes no thanks! Anaheim FTW!

Check out my Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joe_e_audio

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

For a few years the Dodgers and the Angels shared Dodger Stadium, and Walter O'Malley didn't like that situatuion. Feeling like the rejected step-child (which they were) the Angels started looking for a stadium for themselves.

Walt Disney and Gene Autry were good friends. In fact, in the beginning, Walt Disney almost became a partner in the club but let's just say he was busy with other things. In the end though it was Walt Disney's suggestion to his freind that the Angels move to Anaheim, and the rest is history.

OK. Sorry to get off topic!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

You guys have to remember that when Disneyland was planned and began construction LA barely existed. .
    Barely existed?

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Barely existed?! Maybe you're thinking of the 1750's.
    That is SO hysterical - yeah, in the 1950's Los Angeles was HUGE HUGE HUGE...which, in my estimation, would be a prime reason to NOT build Disneyland there - the problem would have been NO ROOM TO BUILD.

1750's?! That's a freakin' hysterical comment!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, DLR was originally intended to be in Burbank, right next to Disney Studios. That would've been nice as it would only be a few minutes drive up the 5 for me and I'd be there weekly!!!
    Oh hey... me too. Like that!

• Closed Account

You guys have to remember that when Disneyland was planned and began construction LA barely existed.
    Not to pile on, but methinks one needs to study his Los Angeles history just a bit more...
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-24-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Initial plans were to build Disneyland in Burbank, but as Walt's ideas continued to grow, it became clear very fast that there was nowhere near enough room in Burbank by the Studios to build the place. The Burbank plan was not much more than a little train and a handful of rides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast