Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Why can't we have the Skyway again?

This is one attraction that I am not for bringing back. The attraction is extremely ugly.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    True...but that still leaves the question of how to theme the buckets so that they fit in both lands. That's my main thematic concern. If you do a futuristic time machine look, it'll stand out like a sore thumb and prompt a lot of questions from guests in Fantasyland; if you do a Fantasylandish theme, it'll look similarly weird in Tomorrowland; and if you do some sort of weird steampunk mix, it'll just look vaguely bizarre in both.
    I say a steampunk version. It could be done in Fantasyland times, since it's copper and what not: and it looks futuristic in a "long time ago in a galaxy far away" sort of thing.

Anyways, this is just random thoughts spewing out. I highly doubt the Skyway will ever come back.

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

At the Tomorrowland station, they can say that we have to ride in these archaic looking transports because if we don't, we'll stick out like a sore thumb in the land of fantasy.

I don't know why I'm so into this. I'm not bored, I'm actually quite busy with work right now.

• Regularly Confused

I'm fairly certain the skyway was purchased used to begin with.

We won't get SkyWay back because stupid people haven't gone extinct yet.

four letters: O.S.H.A.

I think it's still possible because, as far as I know, The San Diego Zoo Still has their gondola ride and it goes even higher than Disneyland's ever went.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Mousketeer

Personally I'd love to see it back. It was one of those rides like the peoplemover, keelboats, motorboat cruise, etc. that were just a fun little break. It was never an e-ticket. It was never meant to be one. It was a fun little ride. There is something really great and imaginative though inspiring about seeing things from a different angle. It may be lame to some of you, but it was always packed. Too bad it became an expense to the bean counters when they got rid of ticket books. So did the subs, the motorboat cruise, keelboats, america sings, etc....

Theming? It didn't bother Walt. Too strict themeing rules are a recipe for disaster, and who made the themeing rules anyway? Why Disney of course.

I wish it was back, but it never will be like it was. of course, after the castle walkthrough returns, maybe the skyway will too.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb View Post
    Theming? It didn't bother Walt. Too strict themeing rules are a recipe for disaster, and who made the themeing rules anyway? Why Disney of course.
    Walt wasn't perfect. He set a lot of precedents for great things, but the fact that he did or did not do something isn't enough to justify it being done or not done today. "WWWD" thinking is great, to a degree, but a bad choice that Walt made is still a bad choice. Luckily, he didn't make many of 'em.

"Recipe for disaster", eh? I'm curious what disasters you have in mind. What were some instances in which adherence and attention to thematic immersion were the causes of a park or land or attraction to fail?

• I'm not really here

I think they should be themed to look like this:

There are buckets in Fantasyland, and I'm sure there are buckets in the world of Tomorrow. And it would be a really fun play on words.

Theme problem solved

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• U. B. Bold

Try to think about it this way:

What if there had never been a Skyway at Disneyland? Instead, Disney suddenly announces that as part of its Tomorrowland 2015 upgrade they will be adding an off-the shelf, mostly unthemed, carnival type sky-bucket attraction that will take guests from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland via cables through a couple of holes to be cut into the Matterhorn - the second most beloved icon in the park.

Can you even imagine the deafening howls of protest?

No folks. Some attractions belong in Yesterland.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Yeah, the skyway was more of an eyesore than the new IASW boats!

• The one, the only...

The Skyway was not ugly for those who rode in it. It was a great ride that really made you feel like you were flying.

I believe that the main reason for closure was to make the lawyers happy. It was not a guest thing. I recall no one complaining about how ugly it was when it was running. It was a ride that was popular and allowed the whole family to have fun together. Yes, it was simple and unthemed. But Walt Disney was less about creating a story as he was about giving you the experience. The experience was truly wonderful, IMHO.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Yes, it was simple and unthemed. But Walt Disney was less about creating a story as he was about giving you the experience. The experience was truly wonderful, IMHO.
    You're mixing a lot of barely-related concepts here.

* Yes, simple is okay sometimes. The Skyway didn't need to have a fantastically complex narrative.

* No, unthemed is not okay in a theme park. It just doesn't make sense. The only things that should be unthemed are backstage areas and onstage items that simply cannot be themed in any way, yet can't be omitted from the park.

* Yes, Walt cared more about "experience attractions" than "story attractions", and rightly so. Being force-fed a story is often less effective than being treated to a series of related scenes that have some sort of narrative structure but leave a lot to the imagination. But the Skyway fell into neither category, so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up.

Yes, getting to fly over Disneyland is great! As I said, if they were to bring back the Skyway, I wouldn't lose sleep over it - I'd get on it and start snapping photos of the rooftops of Fantasyland! I'd have a great time. But I have a great time on California Screamin', too. Doesn't mean it features the quality level that's expected of a Disney park.

• The one, the only...

To say that the Skyway was unthemed maybe was a miss statement. When entering the Fantasyland station, it had a Swiss alpine theme. It gave you the same filling of the Swiss Alps. Tomorrowland station was more futuristic.

As I said, no one who experienced the Skyway ever thought Walt made a mistake. I think if you had the chance to experience it, I think you would agree. As I said, it was a ride that everyone from small children to grand parents enjoyed together. That was the goal of Disneyland after all. Not a theme park. Themes are just a way of achieving the goal of a park for the whole family.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-24-2008, 03:04 PM