Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I truly believe that Walt Disney would have yanked the SkyWay before it's closing on November 9, 1994. There's no way he would have kept it around for almost 40 years... he was much too progressive for that.

P.S. Read the rumors about the closure of the Disneyland SkyWay at snopes.com

• Mousketeer

Re: Why can't we have the Skyway again?

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Walt wasn't perfect. He set a lot of precedents for great things, but the fact that he did or did not do something isn't enough to justify it being done or not done today. "WWWD" thinking is great, to a degree, but a bad choice that Walt made is still a bad choice. Luckily, he didn't make many of 'em.

"Recipe for disaster", eh? I'm curious what disasters you have in mind. What were some instances in which adherence and attention to thematic immersion were the causes of a park or land or attraction to fail?
    You are correct, Walt wasn't perfect, but he built and removed for a reason. I never implied that Walt would have kept the skyway around to this day. I never played the WWWD card, I only stated what Walt did. Walt often mixed things up to find what worked.

I do believe that if he would have taken it out, it would have been replaced with something else, not just removed like the skyway, peoplemover, keelboats, etc. The Skyway wasn't removed because it was unpopular, but because it cost money to run and accountants were looking for a way to improve the bottom line.

Ok here is a strict themeing recipe for disaster for you. The 1890's steam train. How can it go to Tomorrowland? do we have to have the train somehow change to be in the future, or in the world of fantasy? Only men worked on the steam trains of the day, should we only allow men to work now? The train cars were more like the original retlaw cars, we should change them back to be like that so that they are properly themed. The trains should either be run on coal or wood. Not on french fry oil. To properly theme the railroad, you can quickly become immersed in the details of the story, and not in telling the story well. Sure these may seem like crazy ideas that you don't think represent proper themeing, but they all should be considerations of proper themeing, and too much of a good thing may not be a good thing anymore.

Bad grammar should not preclude great poetry.

• A Weather Eye Open

i don't think i'd want those fake looking holes in the matterhorn back.

as for theming, think about gondolas that are a basic shape, but that switch switch their theme at the top of the ride... in a mechanical, programmed way. i'm thinking panels that turn around (like a changing billboard), or a shell underneath that slides around the circumference... you could have bright, basic peoplemover type colors for tomorrowland, and a wooden look with a floral garland or something for fantasyland.

i don't particularly want it back. i'm a bit sad that i never got to ride on it before, but there are a lot of other things that i'd put back in disneyland first, ya know?
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb View Post
    You are correct, Walt wasn't perfect, but he built and removed for a reason. I never implied that Walt would have kept the skyway around to this day. I never played the WWWD card, I only stated what Walt did. Walt often mixed things up to find what worked.
    Cool cool, we're in agreement there.

I do believe that if he would have taken it out, it would have been replaced with something else, not just removed like the skyway, peoplemover, keelboats, etc. The Skyway wasn't removed because it was unpopular, but because it cost money to run and accountants were looking for a way to improve the bottom line.
    That's an interesting point. The thing is, I dunno if there's much that could be done to replace it. Pretty hard to do something in the same vein but still sufficiently different...I can't think of anything, at least.

Ok here is a strict themeing recipe for disaster for you. The 1890's steam train. How can it go to Tomorrowland? do we have to have the train somehow change to be in the future, or in the world of fantasy?
    Mmmm...you're straddling a few different ideas here. Before, you were saying that adhering to theme absolutely can cause disasters, but this is an example in which a thematic incongruity was allowed to slip through for purely utilitarian reasons. If there were a way to safely and convincingly make the train become a futuristic vehicle as it pulled into Tomorrowland Station, that'd be cool! It wouldn't be a disaster.

Only men worked on the steam trains of the day, should we only allow men to work now?
    That's a really complex issue...kinda beyond the scope of what I was talking about. I'm just saying that gross betrayal of an area's theme is a very bad thing in a Disney park.

The train cars were more like the original retlaw cars, we should change them back to be like that so that they are properly themed. The trains should either be run on coal or wood. Not on french fry oil.
    That'd probably be overkill...certainly not necessary for my experience, at least...but it wouldn't be a "disaster" if these things were done.

Bad grammar should not preclude great poetry.
    Absolutely. But the bad grammar sure as heck ought to be there for a good reason, and the poet had better not make any claims about it being grammatically perfect.

My point is, it's possible to do thematic overkill. Of course it is! Go too far, and you just end up wasting time and money and thought and effort. But you get into far more trouble in terms of the end product if you go to the opposite extreme and throw caution to the wind, putting things wherever they feel right. What's really needed is a delicate balance between what feels right and what is technically right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-24-2008, 03:04 PM