Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why can't we have the Skyway again?

Sorry if this question has been answered a quadrillion times but can someone please remind me again why they never re-opened? My memory fails me but all I can remember is something about safety issues that supposedly Disney wasn't willing to front the money for to bring it up to code.. I understand that there are bad apples more today than yesteryear (People throwing things out of the buckets) however for every action there is a reaction and I'm sure that consequences were to be had if that situation would present itself. I wish they could figure out a way that was such a great way to view the park not to mention an alternate way of transportation. A lot of micechatters are wearing through the knees of their pants, praying for the People Mover (Nothin against it I enjoyed it also) but that only took you around TL. Yes I know it was one of the slow paced rides that gave you a chance to relax, hardly had a line, and wasn't based on a cartoon. Still, if I had my choice between People Mover and Skyway I would say hands down Skyway. * this isn't a debate between teh two rides I just want to know why the Skyway has failed to re-open for all these years* I mean they never took down the towers or wires, I hoped for so long that this meant there was a speck of hope for re-opening one glorious day.

• Hangin Around

Re: Why can't we have the Skyway again?

I'm here!

• =)

Mostly legal issues, I'm sure. And while I would LOVE to see aerial views of the park like that - I mean, you cannot imagine how much I'd love that! - I also should point out that that level of unthemed, off-the-counter Imagineering is the kind of thing you mostly only see in DCA these days. You can't really theme the buckets properly because they traverse two very different lands, and it'd more or less be a clone of the many similar attractions at numerous amusement parks.

I wouldn't lose much sleep over it coming back, though...like I said, I'm really big on aerial views.

• Geoff London

It wasn't so much the throwing of things that got the Skyway panned it's was more the filthy individuals who thought it funny to spit on people (or got up to inappropriate behaviour). Read Koenig's book. One young guest's aim hit one of the Supervisors. Security were waiting for him at the exit. They could bring in enclosed cars that could be locked electronically to prevent such happenings but I'm suspecting that expense is a huge factor too. It would be great if the monorail could sail across the park like it does at Epcot but cost is a huge factor there too.

Perhaps another idea could be a tethered balloon like they have at Disneyland Resort Paris.

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/disn...panoramagique/

The only problem with that is you do get to see backstage and show -building areas!
    Last edited by geoffa; 09-24-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

They did remove the wires and towers. They even closed up the Matterhorn. An the reason everyone wants the Peoplemover back so bad is because its actually possible!! It would be the easiest to bring back. An another reason why Peoplemover has such a huge fan base is because you can't ride it anywhere else in California. They have 2 skyways in Southern California. Seaworld, San Diego Zoo, and all the fairs. I'm not saying the Skyway shouldn't return because I miss it just as much as you. It's just near impossible so I kind of lost hope.

• Oo-de-lally

I agree with you. I loved the Skyway. When ever I walk through the back side of Fantasy Land I love to take a look at the old building. I always hoped that one day they would bring it back. I also would love to see the people movers brought back.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    You can't really theme the buckets properly because they traverse two very different lands
    What if they did some sort of time machine thing? A magical time machine. A recording could play as you go across that gives you a tour of what you're seeing and tell you how you go from a land of fantasy to a land of tomorrow.

That's just off the cuff to give an idea of what could be done in terms of theming.

• Mousketeer

We can't get the skyway back because you didn't eat your vegetables as a child. It is all your fault. Shame on you.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by dlandjimmy View Post
    What if they did some sort of time machine thing? A magical time machine. A recording could play as you go across that gives you a tour of what you're seeing and tell you how you go from a land of fantasy to a land of tomorrow.

That's just off the cuff to give an idea of what could be done in terms of theming.
    True...but that still leaves the question of how to theme the buckets so that they fit in both lands. That's my main thematic concern. If you do a futuristic time machine look, it'll stand out like a sore thumb and prompt a lot of questions from guests in Fantasyland; if you do a Fantasylandish theme, it'll look similarly weird in Tomorrowland; and if you do some sort of weird steampunk mix, it'll just look vaguely bizarre in both.

• Hooterville, USA

The train does a good job traveling through different lands.

Just use a recorded spiel and people won't think twice about it.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Thumbs down Re: Why can't we have the Skyway again?

Because it was UGLY. I would be so upset if the skyway ever made a return.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Meh... bring back the PeopleMover. The ride lasts longer than the Skyway, it's more futuristic, and it doesn't expose guests to nearly the amount of unthemed/ backstage areas as the Skyway.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    The train does a good job traveling through different lands.

Just use a recorded spiel and people won't think twice about it.

The train is also fairly well hidden most of the time. You see it only at the stations and then a few glimpses through the trees, or right over iasw. That's pretty much it. The Skyway is visible from all over TL, FaL, parts of FrL, Main Street.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Hangin Around

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Meh... bring back the PeopleMover. The ride lasts longer than the Skyway, it's more futuristic, and it doesn't expose guests to nearly the amount of unthemed/ backstage areas as the Skyway.
    The PeopleMover was very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    Because it was UGLY. I would be so upset if the skyway ever made a return.
    Yep.

I loved the Skyride. And I do kind of miss it. It was great to have that alternate mode of transportation to zip you between Tomorrow and Fantasyland.

But when it comes down to it, I wouldn't want it back 'cuz--dang, it was a cheesy eye sore. As cool as it was to go though the Matterhorn, I like the mountain better now that it's all sealed up. And the fewer views of backstage and the outside world, the better. I notice those things a lot more now than I did when I was a kid (and riding the Skyway.)

Plus there's no way I'd convince my wife to get on something like that, so I would never ride it again anyway. :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-24-2008, 03:04 PM