Motor Boat Cruise and Autopia, new attractions

Here's more of a general idea on how to rework some things in the area of the Motor Boat Cruise and the monstrosity that is the current Autopia.

I would move the Autopia over to the old Motor Boat Cruise area and make it an indoor/outdoor fantasy dark ride, themed to what, I don't know. You would still have control of your vehicle like in Autopia - being a kid once, I know how much fun this is for them.

The Motor Boat Cruise loading dock and surrounding water would be a lagoon and queue area. The queue would take you under both Monorail tracks, which would therefore not have to be realigned .

The two level show building for this ride would be in the area inside the second loop of the Monorail, where most of the Motor Boat Cruise and old Fantasyland Autopia loading area were.

Some of the existing Autopia track just to the east would be used in the new ride. Additionally, the roof of the show building could have outdoor track.

The PeopleMover track in that area would be rebuilt and realigned to go through the middle of the new show building.

The pathway from Matterhorn to IASW would be straightened a bit so you can see the full IASW facade as you walk towards it.

The massive space of the current Autopia loading area would be freed up for a new attraction. I'm not sure how far east the underground part of Submarine Voyage/Nemo goes, but conceivably that eastern sliver of land could be used as a show building for the new attraction being installed here.

What does this accomplish?

1) The non-futuristic Autopia is removed from Tomorrowland.
    2) Space is freed up for a true futuristic attraction.
    3) A self-steering attraction (similar to Autopia) is rethemed to Fantasyland.
    4) No construction necessary on top of Nemo.
    5) Monorail would not have to be touched.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: Motor Boat Cruise and Autopia, new attractions

Ya know, for alot of little kids the Autopia represents tomorrow more than any other attraction in Tomorrowland. Think about it.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Ya know, for alot of little kids the Autopia represents tomorrow more than any other attraction in Tomorrowland. Think about it.
    I don't agree with that. Kids are in cars a lot these days. If you mean they are going to be drivers themselves in 10 years, maybe you have a case. But there is nothing futuristic about driving a car even for a kid.

That said, I suggest a new attraction where they can still drive a vehicle, not necessarily but possibly a car, in a similar way to Autopia.

• Senior Minion

I'm not sure I fully understand a few of the things you said. How would the path from Matterhorn to IASW be straightened out if you're keeping the motorboat lagoon? Why would you do that anyway? I'm not sure I'll have to look at some arial pics, but is that really enough room for a show building there? I think that more could be done with the space that's available but I'm not sure this is the best plan. Maybe if you could do a sketch it would help visualize what you're thinking.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I don't agree with that. Kids are in cars a lot these days. If you mean they are going to be drivers themselves in 10 years, maybe you have a case.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Here's a link to an overhead view of the area in question.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'm not sure I fully understand a few of the things you said. How would the path from Matterhorn to IASW be straightened out if you're keeping the motorboat lagoon? Why would you do that anyway? I'm not sure I'll have to look at some arial pics, but is that really enough room for a show building there? I think that more could be done with the space that's available but I'm not sure this is the best plan. Maybe if you could do a sketch it would help visualize what you're thinking.
    Well, the Motor Boat Cruise lagoon, the part around the docks, is a pretty large area. I would rework that to have a smaller footprint and then wind a queue in and/or around it, heading under the Monorail tracks to a show building.

Straightening out the path from Matterhorn to IASW is more of an aesthetic thing, a wienie as Walt would call it. That pathway used to be super duper wide before they put everything on both sides. For me, having space to walk and see the IASW facade is somewhat of a nostalgic thing, I guess, but the wienie on a stick concept still holds.

Here's a drawing of the areas
    Last edited by Mojave; 09-24-2008 at 07:58 PM.