• Sock Puppet

did walt make a mistake by playing that disneyland show a year before it opened?

Did Walt disney made a mistake by having that disneyland show a yr before disneyland opened because disneyland gained alot of publicity. So businesses moved there.

• =)

Re: did walt make a mistake by playing that disneyland show a year before it opened?

Nah, he needed to build anticipation. True, Anaheim ended up becoming infested with a lot of cheap businesses...but all the better for building an amazing contrast between the real world and the magic of the park, right?

• Storyteller

Re: did walt make a mistake by playing that disneyland show a year before it opened?

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboi92 View Post
    Did Walt disney made a mistake by having that disneyland show a yr before disneyland opened because disneyland gained alot of publicity. So businesses moved there.
    Huh? How does this make sense? Last time I checked, publicity was a good thing.

• Mouseketeer

Without the show, there probably wouldn't have been a park.
    From wikipedia:
    "Difficulties in obtaining funding prompted Disney to investigate new methods of fund raising. He decided to use television to get the ideas into people's homes, and so he created a show named Disneyland which was broadcast on the then fledgling ABC television network. In return, the network agreed to help finance the new park. For the first five years of its operation, Disneyland was owned by Disneyland, Inc., which was jointly owned by Walt Disney Productions and ABC. In 1960 Walt Disney Productions purchased ABC's share."

• Sock Puppet

^^^^^^^

Yep, you got it!

Besides the financial reasons for the Disneyland show, it helped build excitement and explain what guests could expect, what a theme park was.

It was the equivalent of the Internet. Now, Disney can release concept art and videos, which can get discussed in forums and excitement builds.

• Senior Minion

It was far from a mistake, you don't have thousands of guests clamoring to get in and millions within a few months of openning without it. It was one of the most brilliant marketing things that Walt ever did. The fact is the show had no impact on the proximity of cheap businesses, they wouldv'e popped up no matter what and I'm glad Walt was able to buy as much land as he did.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: did walt make a mistake by playing that disneyland show a year before it opened?

Publicity wise, it ranks up there with the deal Brian Epstein made for the Beatles with Ed Sullivan. And while he might have hated the stuff right outside the gate, I LIKE that I can get 3 nights in a Harbor Blvd. suite for less than one night at the GCH. Because of that show, I was very familiar with DL despite being a kid in Alabama. By way of contrast, the first time my dad said we were going to 6 Flags, I had no idea what that was. (That should not be taken as a 6 Flags attack).

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• U. B. Bold

It was Walt's deal with ABC that made the construction of Disneyland possible. If there had been no Disneyland TV show, chances are good that we wouldn't be here talking about Disneyland now.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The only mistake, and Walt knew this, was not buying enough land. But he didn't have the money to do so. The show was the best publicity stunt for any theme park EVER... and will probably stay that way.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html