Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49
  1. #31

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,659

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Yeah but still, it would give that room something to do.
    Well, I think the 25th anniversary exhibit is pretty cool!

  2. #32

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,552

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    You caught that too, huh?

    For those who don't know, "blue sky" is a term WDI uses for its first draft brainstorming sessions. The "blue sky" version of the project is what they would build if money was no object and the "blue sky" was the limit.

    This name change was a very deliberate move, and you know what it reminds me of? The Light Magic "preview party" that suddenly became a "dress rehearsal" at the last minute. This is the same principle. What we're looking at is the next DCA backpedal. Instead of presenting the great ideas they're going to do, now we get to see all the things they might do. It's a hedge against future budget cuts.

    Paul Pressler may be gone, but his management style lives on.
    well they really was no name change. The name mentioned on this thread has been around since the day the preview center was moved to the wince cellar. Just do a search on several Disney sites and you will see the name mentioned as far back as May.

    Also i am not exactly sure what you mean about backpedaling. All projects start with some ideas and gradually change as they get closer to reality. One good example is the change of Mermaid facade. The original artwork was still bluesky designs that were shown to the media for several reasons. Lets not forget that a year ago Disney was fighting some developers and needed as much backing as possible form the local community by showing the intentions they had for the future.

    The preview center will show a glimpse of what WILL be coming to the park within the next 4 years. The area is not large enough to showcase it all so it will be presented in stages as work progresses.

    As for budget cuts as of now NOTHING has received budget cuts. Several projects have actually received budget increases. WDI has been given an overal budget and they are doing everything possible to place the money where needed. They also have high hopes that the second phase will receive approval and more funds will be available as promised by upper management.
    Even now Bob Weiss which is in charge of DCA's improvements has been very active in making sure that the park gets the needed attention from WDI and he has John Lassitors backing 100%.


    Post number 20 written by Uncle Bob hits it right on in explaining how the exhibit will be presented. It will show the evolution of blue sky to final renditions of the projects being worked on at the moment.

  3. #33

    • Embrace the kitsch!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Also i am not exactly sure what you mean about backpedaling. All projects start with some ideas and gradually change as they get closer to reality.
    I mean that the name comes off as a CYA measure. "Preview" means "here's what's going to happen"; "blue sky" means "well, here's an idea." If an elaborate Audio-Animatronic show turns into a simple movie (as happened w/ Golden Dreams), then they can say, "Oh, well, that was just blue sky. You didn't really think you were going to get that, did you?"

    One good example is the change of Mermaid facade. The original artwork was still blue sky designs that were shown to the media for several reasons.Lets not forget that a year ago Disney was fighting some developers and needed as much backing as possible from the local community by showing the intentions they had for the future.
    Precisely! Disney promised the moon to get out of a bind and now they're committed to some really elaborate plans. I'm suspicious that their use of the phrase "blue sky" is a ploy to soften up the fanbase to the idea of said plans being severely scaled back. ("Yes, the blue sky idea for 'The Little Mermaid' was a long E-ticket darkride like HM, but now we're thinking more in terms of the FL darkrides.")

    As for budget cuts as of now NOTHING has received budget cuts. Several projects have actually received budget increases.
    I hope so. I tend to read too much into things sometimes. Comes from having shrinks in the family.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

  4. #34

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,737

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    ("Yes, the blue sky idea for 'The Little Mermaid' was a long E-ticket darkride like HM, but now we're thinking more in terms of the FL darkrides.")
    I'd heard just the opposite- that TLM has been expanded.

  5. #35

    • Animatronic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Maybe they'll show the Discovery Bay model I haven't seen since it was in the Preview Center at Disneyland. It seems that project was more blue sky than preview.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

  6. #36

    • Senior Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,198

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Maybe they'll show the Discovery Bay model I haven't seen since it was in the Preview Center at Disneyland. It seems that project was more blue sky than preview.
    That would be neat, but it's fairly small and I would think it will be focussed on DCA. I would bet the only DL stuff that might be there would be Pixie Hollow or Sleeping Beauty stuff right now, but I don't know. Maybe some others couild reveal more, I'm sure we'll hear more soon, it's only a few weeks from opening.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  7. #37

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I'd heard just the opposite- that TLM has been expanded.
    As did I.


  8. #38

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Blue Sky Celler is a magical name for the building, and Imagineering the Future is a fun moniker for the attraction. Can't wait to see it Darkbeer. October isn't doable. Perhaps, November or December.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  9. #39

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    I look forward to this Preview Center. It reminds me of the time they had a model the of Splash Mountain up on Main Street. I would love to go in there and just stare what adventures awaited me.

    No matter what they have, I'm thrilled to see it when we go in January. Hopefully, though, people will be taking a TON of pictures and posting them so I can "see" it before hand!

    Thanks for the information MasterGracy and Baloo and thank you for the reliable information on what is actually going to be happening.

    They say Mid-October? Hmmm....I'm giving it to open on October 17th.

  10. #40

    • The one, the only...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    2,845

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    I see having the new preview center as only a positive move on the part of Disney. We cannot focus on the mistakes of the past, where previews were done of attractions that got scaled back when actually built. Those mistakes are of the past and should be left there.

    Let's focus on the future of DCA. It looks bright, with wonderful ideas getting pushed forward.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan
    .................................

    Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,552

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    I mean that the name comes off as a CYA measure. "Preview" means "here's what's going to happen"; "blue sky" means "well, here's an idea." If an elaborate Audio-Animatronic show turns into a simple movie (as happened w/ Golden Dreams), then they can say, "Oh, well, that was just blue sky. You didn't really think you were going to get that, did you?"

    Precisely! Disney promised the moon to get out of a bind and now they're committed to some really elaborate plans. I'm suspicious that their use of the phrase "blue sky" is a ploy to soften up the fanbase to the idea of said plans being severely scaled back. ("Yes, the blue sky idea for 'The Little Mermaid' was a long E-ticket darkride like HM, but now we're thinking more in terms of the FL darkrides.")

    I hope so. I tend to read too much into things sometimes. Comes from having shrinks in the family.
    the term blue sky is just being used because every WDI project starts of as a blue sky idea. It also sound better than DCA preview center.

    I wouldn't worry though they are still very much commited to the changes and WDI is beign told to do it right this time. They ahve lots of support from the higher ups.

    I wish i could fidn it but in one presentation they even even said that Bob Iger believes in Quality over quantity and that money should not stand in the way of quality because at the end the investment wll pay off

  12. #42

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,552

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    That would be neat, but it's fairly small and I would think it will be focussed on DCA. I would bet the only DL stuff that might be there would be Pixie Hollow or Sleeping Beauty stuff right now, but I don't know. Maybe some others couild reveal more, I'm sure we'll hear more soon, it's only a few weeks from opening.
    i really doubt that anything related to pixie hollow will be shown since that would be opening soon. I also doubt that anything related to Disneyland projects will be shown since those are still in development and will not be announced anytime soon.

  13. #43

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,552

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Precisely! Disney promised the moon to get out of a bind and now they're committed to some really elaborate plans. I'm suspicious that their use of the phrase "blue sky" is a ploy to soften up the fanbase to the idea of said plans being severely scaled back. ("Yes, the blue sky idea for 'The Little Mermaid' was a long E-ticket darkride like HM, but now we're thinking more in terms of the FL darkrides.")
    It wasn't so much as Disney's promising things to get out of a bind it was to show to the people of Anaheim that having houses would not be a good idea for the future of the area within the resort.

    As for the Mermaid attraction that attraction from day one has been getting upgraded and lots of attention. at no time has it goen from an elaborate attraction to just a simple darkride.

  14. #44

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,552

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I see having the new preview center as only a positive move on the part of Disney. We cannot focus on the mistakes of the past, where previews were done of attractions that got scaled back when actually built. Those mistakes are of the past and should be left there.

    Let's focus on the future of DCA. It looks bright, with wonderful ideas getting pushed forward.

    My hope is that the preview center becomes a success and that when all is said and done WDI and TDA realize that it could be a much weclomed attraction.

    Both Disneyland and DCA have enough space to present a preview center of past, present and future projects as well as a section devoted to showcasing ideas that never came to life. The Walt Disney company has so many stored treasures in wherehouses and archives that could be presented to the world to see within the parks. They could easily do a rotating exhibit showcasing some of the hundreds of models they have kept. Those models are wonderful pieces of art. Many times the models are destroyed due to space constraints what better way to save them then to create a home for them at the parks.

  15. #45

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,737

    Re: DCA Preview Center real name - Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    My hope is that the preview center becomes a success and that when all is said and done WDI and TDA realize that it could be a much weclomed attraction.

    Both Disneyland and DCA have enough space to present a preview center of past, present and future projects as well as a section devoted to showcasing ideas that never came to life. The Walt Disney company has so many stored treasures in wherehouses and archives that could be presented to the world to see within the parks. They could easily do a rotating exhibit showcasing some of the hundreds of models they have kept. Those models are wonderful pieces of art. Many times the models are destroyed due to space constraints what better way to save them then to create a home for them at the parks.
    I wish they'd show us the original model of Disneyland. Then I wish they'd give us a fully-controllable mini camera that we can use to "walk" down the streets of the model. Of course, ultimately, I wish they'd make virtual models of Disneyland throughout the years, so that we can "walk" Disneyland in any year!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 09-27-2008, 02:42 PM

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Blue Sky Cellar New Exhibit
    By hawk671 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 04:11 AM
  2. [Question] Blue Sky Cellar open/closed?
    By SpaceDad in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 04:03 PM
  3. [Question] blue sky cellar questions.
    By j.goodger in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 06:23 PM
  4. [News] First Look At the Blue Sky Cellar at California Adventure
    By Dustysage in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM
  5. Walt Disney Imagineering
    By Treat in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-27-2006, 10:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •