Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Resident Duck

How do you go to Disneyland alone--and not feel like a complete loser?

All right. So I really like going to Disneyland on the weekends (I love the Tomorrowland bands! They make my week ) but I always feel so odd going there alone. Don't get me wrong, I actually rather enjoy being there by myself, I'm just not sure how to pull it off without looking weird--or without getting asked out (Bonus question: how do you turn of the single vibe ). Any tips on...well, not looking weird? I've thought of bringing my sketchbook or something, for use in between sets, but I'm not sure if that would make me look even more bizarre. Especially considering I'll be dancing with a sketchbook in hand...

So how does an insecure girl feel more at home at Disneyland?

Disney has ruined my love life

• =)

Re: How do you go to Disneyland alone--and not feel like a complete loser?

Mmm, you might try going less often - that'll have the nice effect of making you miss it more between trips, so you'll be enjoying it so much that insecurity doesn't really have enough time or strength to pervade your day.

As for looking weird...you probably don't look nearly as weird as you think, particularly if you're getting asked out! Just remind yourself that for all they know, you just split off from your group for a little while. They don't know you're really alone unless you tell them.

If you're getting asked out a lot...mmm, you could design a physically unflattering T-shirt with a phrase like I'M WITH STUPID or something on it...

The bottom line is, if you're gonna go to Disneyland by yourself, you just need to remind yourself that you're doing it for a perfectly valid reason and that they only person who can hold you back from having fun is you. And if there isn't a perfectly valid reason, don't go!

• Laughing Last..

A good friend of mine used to love to go to DL by herself. Between the bands, the stage shows, and just chilling when she felt the urge to do nothing, she really enjoyed the solitude. One of her favorite tricks to avoid unwanted advances was to bring an umbrella stroller to carry her gear in. No guy wants to hit on someone that may have a baby nearby.

As far as feeling weird, who cares what others think. If you're enjoying yourself, stop worrying about it. On occasion, I'll hit the park on my way home from work just long enough to ride the train and grab a bite. I certainly don't feel weird, although dressed in scrubs and munching a turkey leg is somewhat out of the ordinary.

• Minion

ORGOCH: I got a better question ta ask: How does ya go ta Dizzyland with two looney sisters like MINE without feelin' like a loser?

ORWEN: Then stop GOING with us, old biddy!!! Do you really think we like going anywhere with a whiny complainer like YOU?!?!

ORDDU: Seriously, ducklings, there's absolutely no reason in the world why you should let yourself feel like a loser just because you do certain things alone. (Drinking would be the exception.) But, for the most part, the reason we find ourselves doing many things alone is because we simply haven't been discovered, yet. Life being the way it is, two ships in the night often pass each other without knowing it. But your day will eventually come. You'll meet some friends who will be able to appreciate you for who you are.

ORWEN: Besides that, you couldn't POSSIBLY look any more foolish than a certain nasty old biddy around here.

ORGOCH: Yeah, right! Spoken just like the two losers ya both really is!!!

• GO DBACKS!!

Bring a camera and try seeing DL in a new light by taking some artsy shots. But I'm pretty sure no one will even notice that you are by yourself. And if they do notice who cares?

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Ice melts fast in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by FREQDUDE View Post
    As far as feeling weird, who cares what others think. If you're enjoying yourself, stop worrying about it.
    I agree. Life is too short to care how strangers and even people you know view you. I try to live by a saying my uncle has: "It is none of my business what you think of me." It works quite well and reduces stresses that are unnecessary in life.

• Mouseketeer

Last few trips to Disneyland I've taken have been alone. On the most recent one, I took my sketchbook along and it was one of the best trips I've taken, ever. However, keep in mind it won't make you blend into the crowd. Just the opposite, actually. All sorts of guests would stop and take interest, some just taking a peek, and others striking up full conversations. CM's, especially the photopass ones it seemed,were very interested too. Mary Poppins and Bert kept swinging by to see what more I had done since their meet 'n greet was a little ways away. I was also invited up to the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain on account of a CM seeing a sketch of the Mark Twain. It definately took the focus off of being alone, and I met a lot of really nice people throughout the trip.

Also, I don't know if you already go, but there's the MC noon meet on Sundays at the Hub. Great crowd and then you're not there alone.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Whenever I get to feeling low and dejected at disneyland, I take a look at Innoventions and immediately cheer up. This is because i realize that the horrindous attraction was designed and built by even bigger losers than me.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Destruction is Inevitable

i go to Disneyland alone all the time, and a sketchbook seems to attract more attention and make it loud and clear that you are alone at the park. I've sketched in both parks with my ipod, and every 5 nminutes, some stranger would come by and had to see what i was sketching. I would then have to take off my headphones, stop and take the compliment of how good it was, and then continue. If you don't want to be bothered, just put some tunes on your ipod and the visual of those white head phones is a sure way to say "GET AWAY, ITS ME TIME". You don't even have to have an ipod, just spay paint some earphones, put the connector in your pocket, and bop your head once in a while. Always works for me.

The ones that notice that you're by yourself, are actually jealous because they are stuck with people that they are trapped with and can't get away from.

They envy you, being able to go where you want, when you want....without having the burden, and chore, of having to listen to, and having to abide foolish desires of an ungainly group.

• Yeah.....

Going to the parks alone can be a great thing, but only if you have the right mindset for it. If you're the type of person who has to constantly be talking to someone, or if you are always wondering what other people are thinking about you, then it wont really be a good visit. The best thing to do is to just ignore the feeling that other people are watching or judging you and make yourself realize that you are spending your time at the park in your own way.

If you still feel the need to talk with someone, strike up a conversation with a cast member, trust me they will always appreciate it. Or have a chat with your neighbors in line, odds are you'll be behind a decent group who won't mind getting the input of another disneyland guest. And right now during the off-season, there is an influx of foreign guests who can be an absolute delight to talk to, they always seem to be so interested in the knowledge of local californians.

Anyways, the bottom line is that there is no reason whatsoever to feel awkward or strange when alone at the parks, just appreciate the fact that you are even able to make frequent solo trips when it is such a luxury to mostly everyone else. Every solo park-goer has their own reason for doing so, heck a friend of mine takes her laptop with her and does her homework on tom sawyer island! Just enjoy yourself out there and be on the lookout for crazy micechatters!

I've been alone to the parks and shelfishly it is great! You get to do just what you want, when you want and it can be wonderful. Disneyland is a place where most folks are fairly cordial and as they're having a good time as well, pretty nice to be around. I recommend that if the choice is going alone or not going at all... Go! By all means. That's what I sometimes do.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• I'm not really here

Being from marriage happy Utah County Utah, there is a really simple and cheap trip to avoiding getting asked out that girls around here use a LOT. Go to Walmart and buy a cheap ($6.00) fake ring that looks like a wedding or engagement ring. Wear it on your left ring finger.

As for not feeling weird... I really don't mean to sound rude, but that's more of a choice than anything else. How we as individuals feel about something is more often than not a matter of choice. Like I said in the character interaction thread, it is only as awkward or weird as you want it to be. Just don't think about it being weird. You're at Disneyland... a place you love! Enjoy it and focus on that. People aren't looking at you like you're some kind of loner freak. If anything, moms are slightly envious, and the guys, we'll they obviously don't think you're a freak or weird for being there alone (which the ring should help with).

My advice would be to concentrate on something else whenever you start feeling weird. Like how you can do what you want, when you want at the park. And just enjoy the day and the feelings and sounds and sights of Disneyland to the fullest.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

ORDDU: Even though I end up going to the parks with my two sisters, I find ways to lose them so that it LOOKS as though I was there all alone. After all, when trying to hook up with some unsuspecting, gorgeous hunk--such as Ride Warrior--the last thing I need is any competition from a sister witch, if you know what I mean...

• Closed Account

Talking Re: How do you go to Disneyland alone--and not feel like a complete loser?

Althaea: Don't feel wierd, I have done the same thing a few times. Sometimes the best moments are felt within yourself and alone at DLR, at least for me, since no one else I know understands it. Although it would be nice to take a girl there who is enthusiastic as I am about DLR, that would be a dream date!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast